Anti-Evolutionists are Welcome Here

@sfmatheson

Could you please quote the sentence in which I said a participant isn’t welcome? If I wrote it, I want to own-up to writing it. But, at the moment, I strongly suspect I didn’t write anything that said that.

1 Like

@Krauze

He doesn’t oppose it because he allows for micro-evolution… not macro-evolution.

Do you have a clear, non-insulting way of referring to people who oppose only macro-evolution.

I’m asking for a friend.

I’m not sure this contradicts anything I wrote.

Are you asking because you’re genuinely interested in talking with Paul while displaying a minimal level of common courtesy? Or is it some kind of gotcha question to get me to ‘admit’ that “anti-evolutionist” really is the only possible label to attach to people who haven’t used it about themselves?

It’s in the top of the thread:

2 Likes

I agree with @sfmatheson. @gbrooks9, I appreciate you asking the question. This comment crossed a line, especially when considered alongside the following sentences.

As I’ve stated already, you have legitimate concerns, some of which I and @sfmatheson also share. However, this is not the right way to police them.

1 Like

Maybe us regular users can just leave the policing to the admins/moderators, and only “help” them via reporting posts when applicable?

3 Likes

Sending a private and polite note to individuals that helps them understand expectations would be very much encouraged. That is especially true if have some rapport with the offender.

2 Likes

@swamidass

I remember now what I was trying to “capture” and “discuss” when I chose the phrase “out-of-place”. And I can see why it has created strong push-back.

I hereby retract those sentences that use the phrase; Joshua, if you want me to physically edit those sentences, let me know.

But in the meantime, I will state the obvious:
@scd and @pnelson are the two Creationist participants most energetic in picking fights with Atheist contributors… who are honor-bound to defend themselves. I find this to be intentional behavior to deflect and de-rail productive conversations here at Peaceful Science.

1 Like

Sure, but it goes both ways. And they are the minority voice here. Don’t minoritize them.

I do appreciate that you are rising to the defense of us atheists but @pnelson seems the opposite of this. He would be justified in claiming that I pick fights with him, and while I hope he doesn’t think that about me, I can say that I have never seen him pick a fight here. More notably I don’t see him pick fights with atheists, or even direct specific criticisms at atheists or unbelief. I’m frankly baffled about why anyone would make this charge. Nelson is wrong about a lot, and he is going in directions that make his ideas and claims peripheral at best. But “pick fights”? That’s not him.

3 Likes

@swamidass

I agree that it goes both ways. But if I say something about some Atheists abusing Christians, @sfmatheson is going to jump all over me (again).

So… I’m just going to talk about Creationists attacking Atheists…

As long as either side keeps trolling the same un-resolvable questions… it is a slap in the face to Peaceful Science.

And since PS is trying to build consensus within the ranks of Christianity, it puts a responsibility on us that I don’t think BioLogos ever really acknowledged for itself.

@sfmatheson

I have PLEADED with @pnelson to quit picking fights the way he has. But, frankly, he doesn’t even agree with Behe … so I’m not sure any amount of pleading has an affect on him.

He does it intentionally. And I"m pretty tired of it.

Next time privately reach out to @sfmatheson when you see it happening. You might be surprised. Instead of you having to publicly police the situation, I think it is likely he will regulate the atheist so you don’t have to. You guys disagree on somethings, but I actually think you want the same things here.

1 Like

They aren’t picking fights with atheists. They’re picking fights with evolutionists. Not the same thing. @scd is a crude sort, but @pnelson picks his fights with a friendly tone. I don’t know why you put them into the same bin.

1 Like

@swamidass

I think we DO want the same things… which has left me so flabbergasted when he attacks my discussion points that would IMPROVE discussions. Considering the fact I am a Unitarian Universalist, I come extremely close to his own personal position on metaphysics (at least compared to you and others here).

But I will take your advice and see if a behind-the-scenes comment will do the trick.

1 Like

@Krauze

I am asking because I am always willing to cooperate in the use of terms that help clarify rather than obfuscate.

I am not a fan of the distinction between micro- and macro- Evolution. But if people are going to use it, then I certainly want to be able to clearly identify, without prejudice, those who reject the reality of Macro-Evolution.