Are Children Intuitive Theists?

That isn’t at all what the argument is saying. You have misread it, as indicated by your truncation of the sentence fragment you put in bold. Try restoring “all it takes to” in front of the bold bit.

1 Like

What this tells me is that humans could have biases towards supernatural explanations. I would suggest that the case for religious beliefs would be strengthened if this bias did not exist. The chances of believing false religious claims is increased if we have a bias towards believing them which could cast more doubt on the question of how reasonable religious beliefs are.

2 Likes

Er, no, that’s not what this is “really saying,” at least not to me. I can’t actually tell where you got that from, but hey, you do you. As for whether human tendencies toward belief in the supernatural are “odd,” well, these theorists have convinced me of the opposite.

Reaching theological conclusions from the behavioral wiring of humans seems bonkers to me, but… you do you.

3 Likes

I’m doing what the article said I’m wired to do. Since I believe in God, it makes sense to me that God designed us to understand we are like Him. Since you do not, it doesn’t make sense to you. :grinning:

Biases do have a way of making certain beliefs make sense to some people. As children we may think the magician has supernatural powers when he makes someone levitate. When we grow older we look for the wires.

2 Likes

You made me think of this video on skepticism. It refers to looking for those wires. :slightly_smiling_face: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrGVeB_SPJg&t=5s

:slightly_smiling_face:
I’m wired to eat chocolate. Please tell me there’s some hope!

1 Like

The first two studies show correlation only. I read through the section on the 3rd. I’m failing to see how it’s establishing a causal relationship, when it could actually be the other way around: As your belief in God strengthens you have a better intuition.

:wink:
Matthew 7

Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. 9 Or which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? 11 If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!

Revelation 3

Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.

The causal relationship is shown in analysis of variance which is statically significant. Your statement concurs with the prediction.

As predicted, we found that participants who wrote about an experience that vindicated intuition (intuition-positive or reflection-negative) reported stronger belief in God
2 Likes

The emphasis seemed to be that it was only causal in the other direction. Or am I understanding it wrong?

That depends on what “better” means. If it means “more trusted by you”, then yes. If it means “more likely to be true”, then no.

You’re right to be skeptical. The trials used US citizens. Hardly a representative sample of humankind! :slight_smile:

Respect his work so much.

1 Like

Evolutionary psychology has had a bit of a bad press. Should I read Boyer?

That is the way I interpreted it.

That relationship wasn’t measured. Wouldn’t it be likely that as your beliefs strengthened you would feel better about your intuitions.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s how it was intended.

Maybe @swamidass can walk over to his office one day and invite him over for office hours?

1 Like

Some of it is justified, some isnt. It has grown and cleaned a lot of things up as a discipline. A lot of the criticisms of the field are misinformed. Also depends what evo psych you are talking about. Evo psych broadly defined incorporates fields such as behavioral ecology, paleoneurology, behavioral genetics, cultural evolution, developmental psych, etc. Though the evo psych you are talking about is the field developed by Tooby and Cosmides. That area has made progress. I would put Boyer outside that narrow definition. So yes, definitely read him.

1 Like