Are Living Systems Machines?

I was never attracted to materialist metaphysics. Partly, that’s because I don’t know what matter is, and QM seems to make it murkier.

The behavior of biological organism just doesn’t fit what I expect from a machine.

1 Like

Now there we agree. However they certainly exhibit mechanical properties. So the interesting challenge is to find a way of explaining their totality beyond artifacts.

2 Likes

I would tell this story in somewhat different terms. Classical physics developed a materialistic mental model of the world that permitted accurate description of and intuition about physical processes. (An intuition that is often quite different from common sense intuition, by the way.) Quantum phenomena were paradoxical in that framework. Physicists therefore developed a new framework for describing these phenomena. That framework differs from the old one, but it’s still materialistic. It’s not couched in terms of Aristotelian potentia, however, but in terms of a wave function, of states as vectors in Hilbert space, and of observables as operators in the same space. It too permits the development of intuition about the phenomena in question.

Well, yes. Quantum mechanics very rapidly took over mainstream physics because the phenomena involved clearly violated classical expectations, and because it represented an objectively better framework for describing them. The depth of the trenchworks inhabited by classical physicists was irrelevant. I would suggest that the same applies to biology and design.

I don’t follow all of these debates, so I’m not sure whom you’re referring to here. I don’t see any reason that a working definition of ‘design’ relevant to this context can’t be put together. Something along the lines of “a process of creating, choosing, and instantiating models of the physical arrangement of matter”. Someone who’s thought about it could no doubt do better.

That strikes me as a really bad way to proceed. Our everyday intuition is typically a terrible guide to understanding natural phenomena

1 Like