Are You a Boltzman Brain?

OK, let’s settle this: do you exist? :smile:

But now, honest question: I was raised in a rather secular home (even though we believe in God) and it wasn’t until a couple of months ago that I became like, really religious or interested in my religion so to speak so I’m not all that familiar with other views on the existence of God so can you just give me a quick breakdown on those other views or link me to a page which does that?

Good question! The most famous argument on one’s own existence is given by Descartes’ “I think therefore I am”. However, this argument might not be valid. I believe that Descartes can validly say “There exist a thought” but not “I think therefore I am”.

There are a lot of views on the existence of God. Let me just give you a link for the view that we are discussing: that God is taken as an axiomatic fact.

First of, logically this poses no problem as long as your conception of God does not contradict any other axioms that you hold (e.g. this rules out a YEC who also believes in the veracity of empirical science). Note that I already assume a certain logical system(s) to even make this statement.

The bulk of the justification for this view is in Alvin Platinga’s “Reformed Epistemology”. You can get a sense of it by reading Platinga’s wikipedia page.

1 Like