Austin Fischer: Innocence, Christian Faith and Evolutionary Biology

And it wasn’t true for Newton and Copernicus. So what. Why does it matter what Wallace knew or didn’t know? We live in 2019 where our scientific knowledge of the universe is much advanced and advancing faster and faster. We now live in a society where information about anything and everything is at our fingertips. Think about this: An average physics student know more information about the Big Bang/relativity/QM at her fingertips than Einstein did. And a high school biology textbook has more information on evolution than Darwin could even image.

Not the same thing at all, is it? The question is how theism can add explanatory content to a hypothesis. “God wouldn’t have done it that way” is exceedingly rare in evolutionary theory and biology, though one imagines you could find a few examples. But God seldom appears in the literature at all.

Also, could I ask you not to direct me to a lecture of an hour and a half without specifying the particular point you want to make and where in that lecture to find it?

2 Likes

He doesn’t have to, because His role (as an optimal designer, against which observed systems are assessed for optimality or suboptimality as evidential pointers) is implicit. Widely shared assumptions within a discipline normally become entirely tacit, until a pest like me points them out. But a tacit assumption doing work is an active assumption nonetheless.

Sorry, I should have given you a time mark for Masel’s relevant points. Skip to about 14:50 and following.

From the very start the main argument against design and for common descent is the pattern of characteristics among species. The following quote is a bit long, but it is a good one. It is from George Romanes in 1882:

10 posts were split to a new topic: Lack of Empirical, Hypothesis-Driven Productivity in ID

I deny that it is. If one has a standard of optimality against which some system is tested, God isn’t necessary to that standard. Optimality can be perfectly empirical.

Following how far? And what point should I expect to be made?

Or why call it “ID Theory” at all when ID right now is nothing more than religiously motivated speculation? It doesn’t offer even a testable hypothesis let alone a scientific theory.

1 Like

Let’s not conflate design with separate creation. The argument is against separate creation, but directed evolution is a form of design.

2 Likes

Could not agree more @John_Harshman. @gbrooks9 would be very happy to see this too :smile:.

Though, as @T_aquaticus is right to point out, it is fairly common for IDists themselves to conflate the two.

1 Like

The same critique could still apply. Evolution could be guided in such a way that the same adaptation will appear in distantly related lineages. Also, many ID supporters are arguing for separate creation, so it is difficult to separate the two.

1 Like

It’s nearly universal. I’ve spent untold myriads of electrons trying to convince Bill and Sal Cordova of that simple difference.

1 Like

Maybe if ID-Creationists tried playing by the same rules everyone else in science follows instead of the constant end-runs around proper vetting and the constant appeals to the lay public ID-Creationists wouldn’t be viewed in such a negative light by the mainstream science community.

You guys made your own bed. Don’t whine now when you have to sleep in it.

Could be, but it would require more elaborate tweaking than working with what’s there.

For them, apparently, but that doesn’t mean it has to be for you.

Much is well deserved. I find the flat-earth test instructive. Consider how it would be reasonable for participants at a geographer’s conference to react to the presence of a flat-earther.

Absolutely! It is important to steer discussions away from I.D… to Creation itself.

ID will ALWAYS POLARIZE. It is surprising to see how easily even Scientists can fall to the dead end opinion that Science can detect God’s work or design!!!

God as “designer by means of Creation” is a UNIFYING theme for all Christians.

1 Like

@John_Harshman @swamidass

Oh good. Another taxonomy. :neutral_face: IDers who are lumpers or splitters, and evolutionary biologists who lump or split the lumpers or splitters. Is it an infinitely ramifying pattern? Probably. There are as many viewpoints on this topic of origins as there are people who care about it.

1 Like

I dont know any ID proponent who doesnt automatically equate the two positions!

Do you, @Agauger ?

I think we would all benefit if we knew of at least one or teo prominent exemplars!

I think you have mistaken the point. Taxonomic lumping and splitting is a matter of taste. This particular lumping is a matter of gross misunderstanding.

I do not think Behe or @Agauger equate the two.

@Mercer
If you have the means to do it, why not? I think the odds are against you even if i am wrong. We already discussed how the presence of a tag can influence activity, even when a tag is well characterized structurally and known to function in other protein contexts. You are talking about adding random sequence (how much?) to both ends. The length of sequence you add may be important. The longer it is, the greater the chance of interference as well as aid.

Question: Do you (or anyone ) know what proportion of random peptides 50 aa long are soluble? 100%? random proteins 100 aa long? That might influence your odds.