Biological Science Rejects the Sex Binary, and That’s Good for Humanity

I don’t assert that scientists should never use everyday terms in special senses as a general principle. I understand why scientists sometimes use words that originated in everyday contexts, but in special senses that are sometimes counterintuitive. For example, Asimov (I think it was him, but it doesn’t matter for my point) said something like this: to a lay person, spending five hours trying to pound a nail into a wall, and hardly making any progress, to the point where the person is sweating and exhausted, might be called “hard work”, whereas, the way physicists use the term “work”, almost no work has been done at all. And the physicists’ definition of “work” is very useful, not just in purely theoretical contexts but even in a number of practical contexts. So sure, in physics class you learn to use the word “work” in a more precise sense, and that’s a good thing.

However, I see no such advantage in the case we are talking about. Harshman says, and you seem to be saying the same thing, that saying that bears are fish, precisely because it sounds counterintuitive, will generate puzzlement and interest in why the scientist is saying that, and that this could lead to understanding and accepting evolution. Well, I grant that it might have that effect in some cases. But exactly the same thing can be achieved without doing that. You can teach people that bears, and human beings, descended from primitive fish that lived hundreds of millions of years ago, without ever saying “bears are fish” or “humans are fish.” I read about evolution from a very early age (I was reading books about dinosaurs before I started kindergarten), and I understood that scientists thought that human beings had descended from earlier forms – simpler mammalian forms, reptilian forms, amphibian forms, fish forms. None of the books from which I learned this ever said: “bears are fish” or “you are a fish.” I needed no “shock treatment”, no paradoxical-sounding statements such as “you are really a fish”, in order to understand the notion of common descent. If no human being ever uttered the phrase “bears are fish” or “humans are fish”, the current theory of evolution could still be taught clearly and precisely. So, whereas, in the case of physics, adopting a changed meaning of “work” is necessary even to do physics, in the case of biology, it isn’t necessary to say “people are fish” (as opposed to, “people descended from fish”) in order to understand evolution.

I think we are getting hung up on the term Osteichthyes. Let me explain. When I first learned about evolution, nearly 60 years ago, none of the popular reference books, not even those written by biologists, used the cladistic terminology and diagrams that are used nowadays. (I don’t even know if they were generally used for in-house discussion by evolutionary biologists that long ago, but that’s a side point.) Under the classification I learned, Osteichthyes was a “Class”, not a “clade”, and the Actinopterygii were a Sub-Class, not a Class. So the categories have shifted around somewhat. I suspect that in this discussion I have unintentionally been shifting back and forth in my mind between Osteichthyes as the older Class (which excluded Mammalia, Aves, etc.) and Osteichthyes as the newer “clade” (which includes those other groups), and that may have led to lack of clarity in my exposition. If so, I apologize.

Yes, you’re right, that is what would happen, but of course, that’s a problem. Once the scientist says that “Osteichthyes” means “bony fish,” then the layman will say, “But bears aren’t fish! They don’t have fins, gills, scales, etc. And fish don’t have fur or warm blood. So why would you use such a name? Why not invent a NEW term, one that doesn’t have overtones of fish, mammal, bird, etc., a term of a more general nature, that captures the common elements of all the animals you’re trying to group?” And that would be a reasonable question.

Of course, your answer will be that biologists use the term for “bony fish” to characterize a much wider group of animals, because genealogically speaking, it was bony fish from whom those other groups sprang. But that still will strike people as odd, not because they don’t grasp the evolutionary relationship – they do – but because most people think that terms should try to capture the characteristics of the things they name, not their history.

Nobody says “television is radio” on the grounds that television was a later development of the use of radio waves, and thus in a sense “descended from” radio. And nobody says “motorcycles are cars,” on the grounds that they historically borrowed elements (internal combustion engine connected with wheels) that first took shape in cars. In most areas of life, we use definitions to indicate a distinctive description, not to record a historical relationship. So the biologist, in saying, not just that bears descended from bony fish (which the layman “gets” without a problem), but are bony fish, sounds as if he’s twisting language in order to line things up with a historical hypothesis, rather than using language to describe the characteristics of things. He sacrifices descriptive utility for the sake of recording a historical connection. Is there any other natural science in which terminology is controlled by such a priority?

It isn’t wrong in everyday language to say that Spanish is a Romance language, or a Latin-based language, or a Latin-derived language, or a language from the Latin family. What would be wrong in everyday language would be to say that Spanish is Latin. I think I was very clear about that.

No, it’s a side-point. I could completely abandon it, and all my discussion above would still hold water. As for you, I don’t know you well enough to say, but I’ll take your word for it that you have no culture-war motivation in using terms in the way that you do. About others, both here and elsewhere, I’m not so sure. But as I say, I don’t need the point to establish my main point, which is about the questionable utility of certain expressions and terms of classification.

No, that wasn’t my point at all. For the record, I’m against political correctness in all its guises, and against almost any form of censorship. I’m not saying that people shouldn’t deliberately try to offend anti-evolutionists, if that’s what they want to do. I’m just saying that if they do take pleasure in irritating anti-evolutionists, they should admit that they take pleasure in it. And if they do choose their expressions at least in part for culture-war purposes, they should admit that. I’m not advocating policing language; I’m advocating only complete transparency regarding agendas. But anyhow, all of this is a side-issue, so we should just let it drop.

I do, and John and I have pointed this out before. It provokes what is called ‘tree-thinking’ as opposed to ‘typological-thinking’, which helps in understanding evolutionary theory.

No, I say that because I think ‘tree-thinking’ in general (not just with ‘fish’) is defensible based on good reasoning and a large sum of evidence. Like I have said this several times. I don’t know how I can make this clear to you. It’s not for the sake of inducing what you called a ‘shock treatment’. Whether or not it brings out a “shock” in most people is incidental. The “shock” is just a consequence of the fact that ‘tree-thinking’ is simply not common and thus counterintuitive to most.

We didn’t descent from reptile-forms nor amphibian-forms. That’s not accurate. And you are pretty much proving my point with this, as this stems from the lack of ‘tree-thinking’.

According to your own argument of “So why not say that bears are Osteichthyes, instead of bears are fish” this isn’t true. It’s not necessary. Physicists could make up a new technical word as a substitute for ‘work’, just like how biologists made up Osteichthyes.

Although my argument would be that (in same sense that using ‘work’ in physics is “necessary” to do physics), it is also “necessary” (emphasis on quotes) to do evolutionary biology. One of the basic principles of evolution is that organisms don’t evolve out of their ancestry. They don’t “turn into something else”. Every organism is just modified version of their ancestors. For example, birds evolved from dinosaurs, and they still are dinosaurs. Likewise, if you say “people descended from fish” to be consistent with evolutionary principles, you would have to say “people are still fish”. Otherwise, you would have to make the argument that - at some arbitrary point - birds stopped being dinosaurs or tetrapods stopped being fish, which doesn’t make any sense and this is actually where a lot of common confusion stems from. It’s also a common and very wrong creationist argument that “evolution makes the ridiculous claim that something of one ‘kind’ can give rise to a fundamentally different ‘kind’”.

Oh dear…that explains a lot.

Oh, well…duh!! Cladistics wasn’t formalized 60 freaking years ago. [EDIT: John corrected me on this. Although, cladistics didn’t became prevalent until much later, so it’s still no surprise that you didn’t learn about cladistics 60 years ago] And no, that’s not beside the point. You learned Linnaean taxonomy with its ranks like ‘class’, which is severely out dated and also causes a lot of confusion. Like how you yourself said that you tend to unintentionally shift back and forth to view categories like Osteichthyes, Mammalia and Aves as ‘classes’ and as clades. I said it before and I will say it again…this explains a lot (no offense).

Then they would further explain these are the consequence of evolution resulting in such changes that are called ‘derived traits’ (apomorphies). Thus, tetrapods (incl. your ‘bear’ example) are ‘fish’ with these derived characteristics, in the same way that seahorses are derived fish. Seahorses are derived such that they have lost the stream-lined shape and the scales that are typical of most fish. In the same way that birds are derived dinosaurs. Another good example; snakes are derived tetrapods (four-legged), and are derived such that they lost the four legs of tetrapods.

Bingo, you just unwittingly nailed it on the head. They are not thinking in terms of their history, or more precisely their phylogeny (tree-thinking). That’s the issue regarding my motive. I am trying to promote tree-thinking.

Oh boy, now you are using that stupid argument creationists use in an attempt to invalidate phylogenetics. Such objects do not have phylogenies, nor do they exhibit natural hierarchies. Don’t be silly.

I was thinking you misspoke there (that is why I added those edits in brackets […]). I did that because the analogy doesn’t really work otherwise. I do think that the statement “Spanish is Latin” is wrong under any sense (technical or colloquial), thus I don’t think about that statement in the same way I do about the statement “bears are fish”.

When you said that UNLESS the purpose of this was to engage in a culture ware, THEN you could understand why someone would be saying “people are fish”… I did not seem you were just making a “side point”. To me it seems you were explaining quite plainly that this was the only motivation that you could understand for why someone would say “people are fish”.

No, I won’t let you off the hook that easily. Here, you made a plea for everyone to use specific words instead of using these other words in order to keep everyone happy. Here, I provide the quote again:

I don’t know how to call this anything but “political correctness”.

1 Like

Well, actually it was. Willi Hennig published his book in 1950, though it wasn’t translated into English until 1966. Cladistics didn’t really take off until the late 1960s, though.

1 Like

Oh shoot, I stand corrected. I was thinking about the debate between phenetics v. cladistics in the 70s and 80s. Although that doesn’t change my point about why Eddie wouldn’t know about Cladistics at that time, but still.

I was wrong. My bad.

No problem. But I’m trying to figure out why whatever Eddie did or didn’t know 50 years ago is relevant to anything.

1 Like

I’m not a creationist, and I’m not trying to “invalidate phylogenetics.” I’m arguing for more useful labelling for some of the phylogenetic categories. But you insist that all the existing labels are well assigned, so we’re not going to agree, for the time being.

Yes, this is the difference between us. I agree that you are trying to promote tree-thinking, and that this is why you think calling birds and bears and frogs and humans all “bony fish” is the right thing to do. I just don’t agree that it’s necessary to do the latter in order to accomplish the former.

Good. I wanted to clarify that, since the way you phrased things in your last list sounded as if you thought something different.

First, this remark came at the end of a long discussion, and I did not say that keeping both groups happy was the only reason. In fact, it’s a secondary consideration. I gave other reasons, having to do with conceptual clarity. That fact that conceptual clarity also has a socially useful effect is a side-benefit.

Second, you’re misusing the phrase “political correctness.” You remarked elsewhere on how ancient my conception of systematics is. Well, one advantage of being ancient is that one is around when phrases first come into vogue. I was around when the phrase “political correctness” first came into vogue, and it was not used in the way you are trying to use it here. But that’s a side point.

I have some questions about cladistic analysis which I would like to put to you sometime, but not until I have done some more reading. I want to phrase them in a way that avoids unnecessary tangles. I’ll let you know when I’m able to formulate my questions properly.

I have found your remarks interesting and worth listening to. And for the most part you avoid the “edge” in tone that many commenters on this site exhibit. Perhaps we will talk again. Thanks for responding.

I would advise you to read the book with the convenient title Tree Thinking. Should be at any good university library and some of the better public ones.

2 Likes

No…oh my gosh, sigh…I wasn’t saying you are a creationist. I was pointing out that you just used the ‘vehicle analogy’ that creationists often use to try to invalidate phylogenetics, although you didn’t realize this and you were using it for a slightly different purpose. However, the argument is flawed for the exact same reason.

Such objects don’t have phylogenies, nor do they exhibit nested hierarchies. Don’t be sillly.
If they had phylogenies, or natural hierarchies, then it would make sense to have some sort of cladistic classification system for televisions, radios or vehicles. But they do not!

Well, the scientists have discussed this and they came to the conclusion that there is nothing more useful than cladistics to categorize (or “label”) phylogenies. That happened in the 1970s and 80s. You’re a little bit behind on that argument to say the least.

You’ll likely say that it is more ‘useful’ for laymen in everyday life, but then you are no longer talking about phylogenetic systematics as you are arguing in THIS instance here.

Oh wow…I believe “ALL” existing labels are well assigned? I am not even aware that I believe that.

I made the argument for why I do think it is “neccesary” (in the same way you think saying ‘work’ is “necessary” to do physics). But you omitted that part from my last reply.

No, in my list I said that “Spanish is a Romance/Latin language”.
You responded to that by saying:

" It isn’t wrong in everyday language to say that Spanish is a Romance language, or a Latin-based language, or a Latin-derived language, or a language from the Latin family. What would be wrong in everyday language would be to say that Spanish is Latin."

Then I clarified to you that I never said nor agreed with the statement “Spanish is Latin”…
But now, about me saying “Spanish is a Romance/Latin language” in that last, you say that it:

“sounded as if you thought something different.”

What the heck happened here? Previously, you understood what I was saying and agreed with it, and now you say that I sounded like I thought something different, which I never did. I am completely mystified by this.

I never said that this was your ‘only’ reason. Don’t put words in my mouth. It was ONE reason you provided, and one that I found very peculiar.

Oh, this is something. You professed that you are “against political correctness in all its guises” which I presumed would includes ALL guises, including that of today. Yet, here you want to make the strange argument that you are ancient enough to have the advantage of knowing the term when it first came about with it’s “true usage” which I am not using correctly. Also a bit funny that after all of that bragging of your age advantage, you don’t even provide a definition.

I went on Encyclopedia Britannica (the same you also used for ‘fish’) to look up ‘political correctness’. It says that this “first came into vogue” in “Marxist-Leninist vocabulary following the Russian Revolution of 1917”, and that the term was first “used to describe adherence to the policies and principles of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union”. Britannica further explains how the usage changed over time. Like, I would presume that you (Eddie) aren’t THAT old to have experienced the time when the Marxist-Leninist party first introduced that term, and I also presume you don’t use ‘political correctness’ to mean by that old definition. Unless you can say otherwise, I don’t think you are correct when you say that you were around when the phrase “political correctness” first came into vogue and you use it now how it was used back then.

In any case, I don’t subscribe to the sentiment that terms have to be defined by their “original” usage. Regarding “PC”, I use the term by it’s common temporary definition provided by Britannica:

political correctness (PC), term used to refer to language that seems intended to give the least amount of offense, especially when describing groups identified by external markers such as race, gender, culture, or sexual orientation.

Regarding your point of keeping both groups happy, you are indeed advocating to use “language intended to give the least amount of offense”. The only difference is that, instead of “race, gender, culture, or sexual orientation”, the groups you want to keep happy are the “professional” and the “laymen”.

I know you didn’t say that, but just in case you were thinking it (as just about everyone else here does), I wanted to let you know. Just a precautionary statement, not intended as a refutation of your point.

Obviously, since they don’t reproduce. The parallel was not suggesting that technological inventions were exactly like biological entities. It was only making a point about utility in classification. But since you have isolated the fundamental point of our disagreement in your previous post, there is no point in my trying defend the parallel or offer others like it.

I know exactly what you said. In your original framing, you wrote:

I understood why you included the 1st, 2nd, and 4th examples, but your inclusion of the third example in the list made no sense to me, since it’s not wrong in everyday language to say that Spanish is a Romance/Latin language. It’s wrong in everyday language to say, “Spanish is Latin.” The fact that you chose to write the former expression, rather than the latter, confused me. However, you later confirmed that you agreed that the latter expression is wrong in everyday language. At that point I said we were in agreement, and that we were finished with the point, but now you want to talk about it again, complaining that I never should have been confused in the first place, or something to that effect.

When discussions start to get into a mire like that, where people are explaining why they misunderstood what seemed to be someone else’s misunderstanding of something they had said earlier, you need a computer scorecard to follow all the history of the conversation, and I don’t intend to keep going over exactly how the misunderstanding occurred or figure out exactly who is to blame. It’s a waste of time. We momentarily misunderstood each other, and then we ended up agreeing that Spanish is not Latin, but that Spanish is properly classified as a Romance/Latin language. These statements are both true, and they are true both in everyday language and in the view of professional linguists. There’s no difference between the view of the man on the street and the view of an Ivy League professor of Romance languages on this. So let’s drop this very minor side-point. I’m dropping it, even if you don’t.

On the term “political correctness”, here is what your article (minus hypertext links) says:

“The term first appeared in Marxist-Leninist vocabulary following the [Russian Revolution] of 1917. At that time it was used to describe [adherence] to the policies and principles of the [Communist Party of the Soviet Union] (that is, the party line). During the late 1970s and early 1980s the term began to be used wittily by liberal politicians to refer to the extremism of some left-wing issues, particularly regarding what was perceived as an emphasis on over content.”

Now, I don’t know whether the term was used in that early period in English-language writing (as opposed to German, French, Russian, etc. writing); your article does not make that clear. And it was its use in English-language writing that I had in mind. But let’s say it was used in English writing back in those days. Then I stand corrected; I wasn’t around the very first time the phrase was used.

(And by the way, I would agree that even if the phrase was not used, the thing existed in Soviet Russia, e.g., the case of Lysenkoism, where a biological falsehood was expected to be verbally endorsed for political reasons, i.e., the demands of Soviet Marxist theory.)

Nonetheless, while the phrase may have appeared in political writings in English before the 1970s, it was not commonly heard in the general culture in my younger years; it suddenly started to appear very frequently in the 1970s and 1980s. (As a comparison, we can find isolated examples of the exact phrase “intelligent design” (as opposed to “intelligent” and “designed” separately) referring to biological origins as far back, it seems, as the late 19th century, but there was a sudden surge in the usage of the phrase in the 1990s and later, when a group of modern thinkers consciously adopted and promoted the phrase.) So though I may have been inaccurate in saying that I was there when the term was first coined in English, I do not think I was inaccurate in saying that I was there when it first exploded into popular usage, around the 1970s/1980s. And I know what it meant at that time.

The definition you provide is quite inadequate. Yes, those advocating PC language were concerned about “giving the least amount of offense,” but the principle that we should speak to and about others in a way that minimizes offense to others was hardly new. What was new about PC was that concern about “offense” (to women or blacks or native peoples or homosexuals etc.) was carried so far (in some cases), that people were expected to affirm things that were scientifically or historically or otherwise untrue, or at the very least were expected to be silent about the truth if saying it out loud would allegedly offend some particular group. So, for example, if, in certain large cities, it was simply a fact (verifiable from carefully gathered and analyzed data) that more crimes were committed by people of certain ethnicities, one was not supposed to say that, for fear of being charged with “racism.” What was correct sociologically or criminologically was not correct politically. The reaction against this politicizing of truth and language was to sneer at “political correctness,” initially jokingly (before people realized how far political correctness would go, they tended to oppose it by ridiculing it), as in one of Martin Mull’s comedy monologues in the late 1970s, but later more angrily.

Two more points. First, PC was focused on things like race and gender – at first, predominantly on those two things, though as it accelerated, it accumulated ever more objects of concern. And it was focused on protecting from offense (real or imagined) people of who belonged to minority groups (or at best, in the case of women, a group of about half the population). It had no interest in championing majority perceptions. But the group I have been championing here, “laymen,” are in any society the overwhelming majority. Second, I have not said that laymen are “offended” by calling people fish, or bears fish, or birds fish. My point is that they find the usage confusing, and an impediment to common-sense communication. In other words, they find “bears are fish” not to be offensive language, but to be inept language. So the spirit of political correctness – focus on “offensiveness” combined with contempt for majority perspectives and a catering to (usually) minority interests – is alien to my motivation here. So I reject your attempt to extend the meaning of “political correctness” to cover the kind of argument I’m making.

In a free society, people should feel they can utter what they take to be scientifically, historically, linguistically, or otherwise true, regardless of whether certain groups within the society might not like to hear such truths. This applies equally to universities, where scholars and scientists should feel completely free to speak what they believe to be true, without fear of punishment. (Of course, it goes without saying that scholars and scientists will express those beliefs in proper scholarly language, and support those beliefs with reason and evidence.) Political correctness (which as I explained above is something much more than mere politeness or normal human sensitivity in dealing with others) threatens the free flow of ideas and information in the university and in society at large, by creating a climate of fear of repercussions. It’s a betrayal of the spirit of Western civilization, and should be opposed by all scholars and scientists.

I certainly don’t think cladists should stop using their methods and their terms for fear of offending anyone. I don’t think they should worry about offending laymen. I do think they should think about how effectively they are communicating to laymen, but that’s another matter.

OK, enough of this. I have paid work to do now. I have to leave for several days. Best wishes.

And yet you seem to be worried only about how effectively they are communicating to creationists.

That’s okay, I get that.

But the utility of me saying e.g. “bears are fish” is precisely based on the fact of phylogenetics. As I said, I don’t advocate for a cladistic classification for cars or televisions, because they don’t have phylogenetic histories. But bears and fish do! This is why the parallel doesn’t work.

And I also said that I think that expression is wrong in all senses, even technically. So I don’t think of the statement “Spanish is Latin” in the same way I think about the statements “tomato is a fruit”/“bears are fish”. The latter is true in the technical sense but not in every day sense, while the former is not true in either sense. That is why this parallel of yours doesn’t work either, and that is why I brought this point up again. Like I am not trying to put the blame on you for misunderstanding. I admit that I misunderstood what you meant by “Spanish is latin”. Now I understand by what you mean, and now I explain why that statement doesn’t work as a parallel to “bears are fish”. If you agree with this, then we can finally drop the Spanish thing.

And I don’t really care, nor do I see how this is even relevant.

So what? You yourself previously said that “even if the phrase was not used, the thing existed in Soviet Russia, e.g., the case of Lysenkoism…” Likewise, the sentiment of using language such to give the least amount of offense, this has existed even if the phrase “PC” wasn’t used.

So it is only “PC” when (according to one of your criteria) we try to avoid offending political minorities? This is one reason why I don’t like the phrase “PC” since it is predominantly used in a very inconsistent and non-neutral way. Like how right-wing conservatives (NOT referring to you Eddie) use it only against liberal or progressive stances. In this way, it’s only PC when conservatives don’t like it. But when it comes to other issues conservatives really care about, they are some of the biggest PC cry babies out there. Don’t kneel during the national anthem or burn the flag. How dare you disrespect our nation and the troops! Don’t call it a fetus or zygote, it’s an unborn baby. It’s not ‘global warming’ it’s climate change. Yes that is actually where the phrase ‘climate change’ comes from. Oh, and how can we all forget about the good old war on Christmas? Don’t say ‘happy holidays’, it’s called Christmas!

And yes, the group that you have been championing here are the ‘laymen’, and I don’t think championing “majority groups” precludes it from being PC. At least, not in a neutral sense. It’s just your arbitrary preference into keeping the laymen/majority happy, just like how right wing conservatives care more about not offending the nation state and the christian religion than they care about minorities. Although, if you want to define PC in a non-neutral sense, such that it’s not PC when it’s about championing majority demographics that you happen to care about, then I think your previous declaration of being against PC in “all it’s guises” is utterly meaningless.

In the particular point that I characterized as PC (yes, I know, this is not your only point, but it was one of them), there you didn’t argue to keep the professional and laymen from being “confused”. You pleaded for using language such that both groups remain “happy”…happy. Using that specific word. That’s what I found very peculiar and that sparked the whole PC thing.

Perhaps that was a slip-up on your part and you didn’t meant to use the word “happy” like this. However, that doesn’t make much difference to me, because I think the confusion that you are referring to is often intertwined with the offensiveness, especially if the statements are about humans. Sure, the statement “bears are fish” may not offend them, but what about my original statement that “humans are fish”? That will be offensive to many. It’s common for many to take offense when being associated with what they would see as “lower lifeforms”. You even said yourself that such statements are offensive, particularly to those who don’t accept evolution. Specifically when you said you “could understand why certain professional biologists would go around telling the public that bears are fish, and people, too” - if - “the purpose of saying that is not informative, but to get under the skin of people who don’t accept common descent”, and that “It’s doubtless fun telling people who don’t believe in evolution, and in some cases are offended by evolution, that they are “really” just a sort of fish. It riles them, which I am sure is often the desired effect”.

This is not just about ‘fish’ either. This is especially true for stating “humans are apes” and “humans are animals”, since many people have an aversion against these words in particular. Human exceptionalism is one mental block that inhibits understanding of evolutionary tree-thinking.

Great, fantastic. Then you would have to agree that there is no issue with saying that “humans are fish”, including in the ‘free society’ of everyday life, as I affirm (as I have said multiple times) that this statement is true and supported by good reasoning and a large sum of evidence. And you would also have to say that I shouldn’t be expected by you or anyone to be silent about this truth.

You may try to argue that this statement actually isn’t true, but that would be the first time during this discussion, and then you would have to deal with cladistics (the reasoning) and phylogenetics (the evidence).

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.