BioLogos Edits Their Response to Keller

On January 21, 2020, I emailed BioLogos with these concerns:

1. My work on de novo creation is still misattributed to David Opderbeck.

2. Moreover, the note does not acknowledge error in the original article, nor does it explain the 17 month delay in making corrections.

3. The note does not reference the first publication on this (the 2017 Sapientia article, and the 2017 defense of Keller blog post), giving a misleading impression that Deborah did not know at the time that the claims in the original article were false/misleading.

My concern is that it is well documented that this article was known to be in error and was not corrected for over a year. Several scientists publicly and privately informed Deborah of the problems with this article at the time.

On October 20, 2020, Deborah Haarsma responded:

Assuming all of these points refer to the TGC article, Opderbeck is not named there, so it’s unclear what you are referring to.

Of course, the article does cite Opderbeck, and that was not the only concern I raised. In response to a further query, the Dwight Baker, the new chairman of the BioLogos board writes,

BioLogos considers past cases closed. The board accepted the committee recommendations it will monitor their implementation. Based on specific board direction, BioLogos will not consult with you on the details of these recommendations or any former publication.

I understand this is a closed case for BioLogos, but that doesn’t close it for the rest of us. Of particular concern is the article deleted January, 2020 (Deleted: Does Genetics Point to a Single Primal Couple?). They were unwilling to provide information about this article either.

1 Like