Can Peer Reviews be Made Public?

A major academic publisher (the publishing house of a major university) once sent me a manuscript in my field for evaluation. Their questionnaire asked, among other things, “How could this manuscript be improved?” I thought that the book was basically worthless, and in irritation I answered “by burning it”. They thought this was funny, so they showed it to the author, and they even identified me to the author! So much for anonymity. I was very annoyed. (I did get a letter from the author, but we all survived this. Still, they might have at least asked me before violating their promise of anonymity.)

7 Likes

It seems that is a serious breach of trust and professionalism. For the journal to de-identify you isn’t right, unless it’s clear from the outset that review isn’t anonymous.

2 Likes

Pier Review sounds like one of those esoteric quarterly magazines from the 1970’s which you had never heard of until some high school kid selling subscriptions door-to-door for his class trip to Washington D.C. handed you the list of “Over 300 popular magazines at great prices!”

@Dan_Eastwood remembers what I’m talking about.

2 Likes

… or it is a publication that helps you choose where to park your boat.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.