Correcting a Quote Mine on Deleterious Mutations

The key to your question is the first sentence of mine you quote.
It begins with in total [more mutations are neutral and deleterious] [than are beneficial].”

I am not making a claim about the relative proportions or magnitudes of the [neutral and deleterious] ones, merely that they [in total] outnumber beneficials.
Just hypothetically, they might outnumber beneficials 80d+n:20b, or 90d+n:10n or even further, depending on how far into high levels of fitness the population already is.
But then the [neutral+deleterious] fraction might itself be split [70d:30n], or [50d:50n], or [30d:70n] or w/e.
I fully acknowledge that I don’t know the distribution within the neutral fraction, but even if it really is somehow close to how Sanford imagines, I’ve already given very good arguments (supported by real empirical evidence) for why his conclusion of inevitable and indefinite fitness decline physically cannot occur.

Uhm, no, just no. Just flat out false. Watch it.

It makes scientists look unscientific that they really care about being precise and correct in their characterizations of real data? Then perhaps what you find mildly amusing is itself an argument that you’re not being all that reasonable.

Hey, I see you also skipped right over me asking:

I invite you again to consider taking a look at both extant and historical comparisons in measures of mortality rates for human beings, between industrialized and non-industrialized nations, and pre-industrialized and current time periods. For example, take a look at table 2 in this paper:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1090513812001237

Compare those historical values to the modern rate at the bottom. From about a quarter to roughly half of all children died before they reached adulthood. That’s an enormous selective pressure.

Yes, there is a vast literature on this, and among it are also publications that put these numbers into an evolutionary context. Population geneticists such as Michael Lynch have pointed these things out:
https://www.pnas.org/content/107/3/961

2 Likes