Creationists' Dismantled Film

I have already addressed this. God was recreating before, during, and after the Flood. He was remaking everything. It was a redo of Creation. I have already addressed that it is very likely that angelic messengers were put on assignment as much as 200 years before the Flood to re-breed purity and high heterozygosity into species. Thus, even first-line offspring would likely have resulted in incredible variation. This is not God “going around zapping species” to produce variety of kinds.

For instance, what was Tepe Goebekli? No one really knows. Well, I have a hunch that the structures are actually animal corrals and that it was a breeding ground used before the Flood to rebreed high heterozygosity into animals. The tall pillars in the middle of the structures with crossed arms but without heads ar very likely the angelic messengers in charge of the complex. Many other similar complexes would have been in operation before the Flood.

These would have been the animals God brought to the Ark and Noah loaded onboard.

Thank you for that suggestion. I like laughing and that made me.

2 Likes

Laugh all you want. I laugh at your ‘scientific inventions’ just the same.

Have you ever considered a career as a creative fiction writer? :slightly_smiling_face:

How did Tepe Goebekli manage to survive the tremendously powerful Flood waters which stripped the rest of the planet bare and deposited the top two miles of sediment? Seems to be a bit of a plot hole.

1 Like

Basically, the gist of their work is to calculate how long it will take for a pre human population to accumulate a string of 2 to 8 specific mutations. This has nothing to do whatsoever with looking at the differences between humans and chimps and counting how many there are.

Dude I just quoted it to you. They obviously intend to show that if even the waiting time for 2-8 mutations is fantastically prohibitive, those “150 million nucleotide differences” between humans and chimps must be totally outside the realm of possibility. Do I really have to copy-paste it again?

The implication, the take-home message is obvious: if it takes that long to even get between 2 and 8 specific mutations, clearly 150 million of them would be absurd.

There’s more:

When we have reduced the single point mutation’s fitness benefit to a more realistic level of 1%, waiting time increases ten fold (15.9 million years, rather than 1.5 million years). Given an even more reasonable fitness benefit of 0.1%, average waiting time was 145 million years. So allowing for a more realistic range of fitness effects, we should more accurately say that even given very substantial fitness effects, the waiting time for a specific point mutation ranges between 1.5 and 15.9 million years. This is consistent with comments by Durrett and Schmidt [16]. They only calculated waiting time to first instance, but at the end of their paper acknowledged that with a 1% beneficial effect their waiting time to fixation would have been about 100 times longer – due to the need to wait for the effective instance. The need to wait 1.5 – 15.9 million years for the fixation of a particular point mutation is very sobering, since it is estimated that mankind evolved from a chimp-like creature in just 6 million years.

While total waiting time for a particular point mutation to arise and be fixed is surprisingly long in this type of population, the waiting time for any particular string of mutations is vastly longer. Waiting times increase dramatically as we increase the string length (Fig. 2). As shown in Table 2, if an eight-nucleotide string is required, waiting time exceeds the estimated age of the universe.’

There’s no mystery here, I really did correctly characterize what the study is intended to show: That the millions and millions of nucleotide differences that separate humans and chimpanzees couldn’t possibly have evolved in a mere 6 million years, and would require times exceeding the total age of the universe by many many orders of magnitude.

Given optimal settings, what is the longest nucleotide string that can arise within a reasonable waiting time within a hominin population of 10,000? Arguably, the waiting time for the fixation of a “string-of-one” is by itself problematic (Table 2). Waiting a minimum of 1.5 million years (realistically, much longer), for a single point mutation is not timely adaptation in the face of any type of pressing evolutionary challenge. This is especially problematic when we consider that it is estimated that it only took six million years for the chimp and human genomes to diverge by over 5% [1]. This represents at least 75 million nucleotide changes in the human lineage, many of which must encode new information.

While fixing one point mutation is problematic, our simulations show that the fixation of two co-dependent mutations is extremely problematic – requiring at least 84 million years (Table 2). This is ten-fold longer than the estimated time required for ape-to-man evolution. In this light, we suggest that a string of two specific mutations is a reasonable upper limit, in terms of the longest string length that is likely to evolve within a hominin population (at least in a way that is either timely or meaningful). Certainly the creation and fixation of a string of three (requiring at least 380 million years) would be extremely untimely (and trivial in effect), in terms of the evolution of modern man.

Man, even two or three specific mutations take too long for 6 million years. And those silly evolutionists think there’s enough time for over 75 million nucleotide differences?

No Gilbert, I really do think I have correctly understood the message of the paper. I wonder, did YOU even read it?

3 Likes

The human population didn’t require 2 to 8 specific mutations. It only required mutations which work. What the Creationists did is the same boring Lottery Fallacy blunder they always make. They calculated the probability that next week’s winning lottery numbers would be the same as last week’s winning numbers and got some tiny teeny weeny probability, then used that value to claim the probability of ANY number winning next week’s lottery is too improbable to happen so the lottery must be rigged.

1 Like

You’re right, it required much more.

Wrong again. Humans didn’t require ANY specific mutations because humans weren’t a goal of evolution. We’re just one of the millions of species who ended up being here.

1 Like

Where can I find this in the Bible?

2 Likes

Let’s say you deal out poker hands to 6 players. They go through the normal betting, and there is a winning hand at the end. What are the chances of that exact hand being dealt? The probability of any specific poker hand is extremely low, including the hand that just won this poker game. Could I argue that the game was intelligently designed because the chances of getting that specific hand are extremely low? Wouldn’t it require long time periods of constant dealing to produce that exact same hand again?

No, Sanford doesn’t claim that the millions and millions of nucleotide differences between human and chimp are all required for being human. What he says is that many of them are required. Granted, this is a somewhat a vague claim, for many could mean anything say between 1000 and 1 000 000 differences. But the important point here is that even if only 1000 specific mutations were required, there is no way that they could have accumulated in the time frame that separates modern man from the hominid population from which he is supposed to have derived.

That’s the Sharpshooter fallacy. If we rewound history and restarted evolution a different species may have evolved. The mutations needed for that different species would then be listed as the 1,000 specific mutations needed for evolution. Humans didn’t have to evolve. Humans are just one possible outcome out of billions.

3 Likes

NO specific mutations were required because humans weren’t a goal, any more than chimps were a goal. Until you grasp the simple fact evolution didn’t have any particular species’ makeup as a GOAL you’ll never understand why Sanford is so wrong.

2 Likes

I know, I’m not accusing him of having said that. I said he’s calculating the waiting time for a particular set of mutations. Then contrasting the waiting time for even a small number of them, with the total set that separate humans from chimpanzees.

Of course they could, they could just have been the 1000 that occurred. Other 1000 mutations could have accumulated instead in principle, but didn’t. That’s it. And then you could do that calculation for those 1000 instead and get the same result, for ANY particular set of 1000.

I repeat, it’s that he is focusing on a particular set of mutations, for example imagine you have this sequence:
AAAAGCCCCTTTT
And it randomly suffers a single substitution once every 100 times it is copied. So you wait 500 copy events and find 5 mutations have occured. Then you say, how long would it take for those 5 particular mutations to occur , on average?
Say these are the mutations(in bold) that changed from the above sequence:
T A T AG T CCC C T G T

And it’s true, if we wound back the clock and let 5 mutations accumulate anew, we’d have to wait a really long time before we got that same set again. We’d be much more likely to just get some other set instead, and that other set might have led to something not exactly like humans, perhaps another hominid-like species. I make no claims about what other sets of mutations would have led to, only that there’s no logical problem with getting some large number of mutations having accumulated after 6 million years.

2 Likes

first, we can also look at other animals and not just at human and chimp to show that problem. second, even if we ignore the discussion about mutations we can point out few other problems with human evolution, such as out of place fossils in the ape lineage, genes that dont fit well with the ape phylogeny or other points. so its not just about genetics.

Yes I’m sure we could spend eons playing creationist whack-a-mole and whataboutism. No doubt about that.

Speaking as a moderator . . .

That discussion can continue here:

2 Likes

God has a vested interest in this planet, humans, and animals. He owns it all. He fully intends to take sons and daughters at the end of time to go and live with him eternally. He offered his own Son up as a sacrifice in order to get that last part “done”.

Do you honestly think he would destroy life on the surface of the planet and not make provision to repopulate? God would have thought all this through before the announcement ever came to Noah 120 years prior to the event.

God has everything under control. He would know exactly how to destroy what he created, then to turn back around and recreate everything, with the bonus of re-speciating in double-time if necessary, and without “poofing” it done.

Don’t approach the Creator of science itself with your puny science and try to tell him what he can and cannot do. He knows full well how to make it all, break it all, and remake it back again.

I need chapter and verse for these claims: