Dale, Rich, and Greg discuss providence and Genesis

That would be a silly goal inconsistent with my own views.

1 Like

You have a low bar for ā€œfoul mouthedā€, if thatā€™s what you think.

Is it not your purpose to introduce the GAE so as to convince creationists that they can accept common descent?

What is an evolutionist? Iā€™m not one. Iā€™m a scientist and a Christian. I affirm evolutionary science, and I affirm the doctrine of creation. My grounding, however, is not in evolution or creation.

1 Like

I would define an evolutionist as a person who affirms evolutionary science, so we have no conflict there. I would define a creationist as a person who denies most common descent (above some level that varies with the creationist, but surely below the level of Class or Phylum). The doctrine of creation is not at odds with being an evolutionist.

Now sure, Greg probably means ā€œevil atheist conspiratorā€ when he says ā€œevolutionistā€, but thereā€™s no reason to use his definition.

1 Like

And you use phallic terms to describe the God that @swamidass and i serve. Have i ever called you in such terms? Have i ever declared that my God hates you? Or have i instead over and over proclaimed about a God who despises sin and yet chose to forgive all who sinned against Him with grace? And you return that with utter disrespect. Why? Why not go find some good science elsewhere and rub shoulders with those likeminded individuals whom you can find enjoyable banter about the God you dont believe in.

And I affirm evolutionary science too as it fits within the parameters of my belief which is based on revelation. And i believe that where it does not fit, it is not true. And all of this is confirmed with the historicity of the resurrection of Jesus. If no resurrection, then all professing Christians are fools. Do you have some more nasty semantics to add towards me for that?

Are you pretending like you didnā€™t understand nwhat I said?

Thatā€™s one wierd thing about ā€œevolutionistsā€ā€¦ they are quite interested in spreading their gospel.

Wonder why we donā€™t see signs of such religious enthusiasm among those who believe in Einsteinā€™s theoriesā€¦

Itā€™s hard to understand why religious Creationists attempt to disparage the evolutionary sciences by calling them a religion. What does that make their own religious beliefs?

1 Like

What makes you think I am disparaging ā€œevolutionary scienceā€ā€¦ I am making an observation about the religious zeal displayed by ā€œevolutionistsā€.

And religious zeal itself need not be a negative thing.

People who refer to science as a religion almost always donā€™t know anything about science. Is that the case here?

Who has referred to Science as a religion? You are confused.
I am referring to some ā€œevolutionistsā€ (both scientists as well as others) who display a religious zeal for spr adding their beliefs.

You did when you claimed evolutionist are " quite interested in spreading their gospel."

Well, Iā€™m not sure that those are the same gods, and the terms arenā€™t really intended as phallic. Nor was I even trying to insult you, just using language that I considered descriptive of the character. I would be glad to substitute other words. Consider ā€œbad personā€ as an alternative.

You are right that I have no respect for what I consider to be a fictional character, just as I have no respect for Sauron or Voldemort, and for similar reasons. We disagree on that point, for sure.

Well, your belief is based on your personal interpretation, which differs from that of many others, of something you consider to be revelation. It does seem, though, that not very much evolutionary science fits within those parameters. Hardly any, from what I can tell.

I find that to be true of scientists in general. We like people to appreciate our work. Come to think of it, itā€™s true of people in general.

Like Timothy Horton, I find the ā€œgospelā€ bit mildly offensive. Was that intentional?

So where is the mention of Scienceā€¦ unless you equate the term ā€œevolutionistā€ with ā€œScienceā€ā€¦ thatā€™s just poor reading comprehension.

Well, evolutionists seem far more needy in this area.
Itā€™s far more than just appreciationā€¦ what is demanded seems to be conformance to your conclusions as the only rational position.

Why do you find it offensiveā€¦ you yourself used the word ā€œconversionā€ when talking about changing a person into an evolutionistā€¦ what is it that converts a person other than a gospel?

I doubt thatā€™s true. Whatā€™s true is that thereā€™s no real active movement opposing, say, quantum chromodynamics.

Not demanded, really. That is what Iā€™m trying for, but through persuasion, not bullying.

All manner of things. ā€œConversionā€ is not explicitly religious, while ā€œgospelā€ is, and explicitly Christian at that. If however you were not attempting to paint ā€œevolutionismā€ as a religion, my apologies for overrreacting.

1 Like

Maybe itā€™s a question of chickens and eggs hereā€¦ historically speaking, it was a bunch of ā€œevolutionistsā€ that decided the theory is definitive proof for athiesm and based their gospel on it.

Is it persuasion alone. I see a fair amount of name calling.

Conversion is explicitly religious (atleast where I come from)ā€¦ the word itself originated from a religious context. I will grant that you didnā€™t mean it in a religious sense.

And honestly speaking, would I be wrong in saying that your understanding of evolution contributes significantly to your metaphysical beliefs and commitment to materialism?
In such a sense, it seems to be connected to faith for many athiests.

No it isnā€™t. The doctrine of divine concurrence has been around since at least Aquinas, and before.

We are not nature, at least on the ā€œnatural/artificialā€ axis, but never break the laws of nature.

God may not be nature, but nature may be seen as what God does, directly or indirectly, and habitually or contingently.

The bigger problem is making a coherent theory of laws of nature without God.

2 Likes