Daniel Deen and Joel Oesch: The Lutheran Voice and Crosswise Institute

@J.E.S, thanks for raising this point.

It is important, because it exposes how your view on these issues is more grounded in fundamentalism than lutheranism. This statement does NOT constrain LCMS Lutherans from affirming to an old earth, or for affirming evolutionary science.

Let me explain a couple points, to show how my view of evolutionary science entirely consistent with this statement.

The “six days”, even if they are ordinary days, allows for the age of the Earth. Here is one of at least 3 ways to make sense of that: A Telling in Six Ordinary Days. Perhaps @deuteroKJ might pipe in too.

So this is not a description of the evolutionary science I affirm. What is described here is atheism, but I hold that God was involved, though I cannot say precisely how. So I agree with the statement in denying Godless evolution. This is the only form of evolution denied here, and every Christian should deny it.

I also confess that God has made me and all creatures.

Three more ways we know this statement allows for evolution.

1. Most LCMS Lutherans actually do affirm evolutionary science.

2. LCMS Lutherans place a high value on paradox, so embrace oft two apparently contradictory things can be possible.

3. Your understanding of that statement, and perhaps the statement itself, is a product of Fundamentalism, not Lutheranism.

For those three reasons, alongside the wording of the statement, most LCMS Lutherans have not feel the need to reject evolutionary science. That is good news. You don’t have to remain in the @J.E.S unless you feel Scripture tells you different. Your doctrinal statements are entirely consistent with my position.

@Philosurfer and @joel.oesch, do I understand that rightly?

1 Like