Dennis Jensen: A scientifically viable model for a first human couple?

I suppose God would let the child die of some other ailment. But God takes everyone’s life eventually. I suppose you could say he “kills” everyone. If God takes someone’s life when they are 90 or 9 or 2 months prior to birth, is there something wrong with that?

Oh, what did I leave out?

I’m not making a statement about when human life begins. I’m just saying that if the organism has a soul, x follows, and if it does not have a soul, y follows. I included the possibility that the child dies before having a soul for the sake of those who think one does not have a soul at conception.

Roy, there are several Christian views of the fate of the unborn. Some are so extreme I’m embarrassed to repeat them. From children doomed to eternal torment in hell just because they were never able to respond to the gospel or were never baptized, to their being taken directly into heaven forever. The problem is that so little is said about this in the Bible that theologians have come up with all kinds of ideas. Like all of these views, my own view is hardly clearly stated in scripture, but it’s the best I can come up with given what we do see in the Bible. So if you say I’m “making this up,” then that is what all theologies do in situations like this. It is a tentative belief and we should admit it to be such. We should not feel sure about the conclusions we reach, yet it is not improper to try to come up with such a conclusion. My statement about them entering “some other non-harmful state” was my attempt to be as vague as possible to include some various views which say they go directly to heaven or something similar.

The infants-go-straight-to-heaven view is popular among many evangelicals but it is based on very little scripture. Jesus said of little children, “of such is the kingdom of heaven.” With this, it could be that they go directly to heaven at death, but it is also possible that this is not the end of the story for them. Since the scripture teaches so consistently that we are in this world to face moral decisions and to choose to accept or reject God and his will for us, I would think that some will have to return to this world if their life is cut so short that they do not otherwise have that opportunity. So there is biblical reasoning behind this view and I wouldn’t call it just making it up. There are also some serious problems with any of the other popular and historical views including the infants-go-straight-to heaven-view. I could give you some references for a more complete discussion if you are interested.

I do believe the near term fetus does feel pain. At least one important study I know of has established this to my own satisfaction. And I think they likely feel pain at earlier stages as well. But notice that I was talking about when the organism is not human and feels nothing, if there actually is such a point in gestation when it should not be considered human. Notice I also addressed the situation if the fetus is human or if it feels pain (274).

I’ve said nothing to indicate that I think a fetus feels no pain or that I am unaware of the distress caused by miscarriage, yet you want to accuse me of doing so. I did say that the final outcome for a miscarried child who is human will not be a great loss, that they will have another opportunity for life or will continue living in some other non-harmful state. It could be a great loss for the parents who wanted this child badly but it wouldn’t be for the child. It is like Christians going to a funeral of another Christian. They mourn and feel distress that a loved one is gone. They are hurt that they will no longer see this person until they in turn die. But for the person who died, their greatest joy is just beginning. So there is nothing wrong with saying that the death of a fetus is ultimately not evil at all (for the fetus) even though it is painful and distressful for the parent.

No, you have not explained what God would consider “easy” or “hard”, or why. And you have merely said that the easy are more likely. Your reason is logically flawed.

No, that’s not a reason. It’s an attempt at an inference that God has some reason, but it doesn’t give the reason.

That, unfortunately, makes no sense. First, we don’t see “few” miracles; we see none. That isn’t a reason to suppose that God prefers small miracles; the simpler explanation of the data would be that God doesn’t perform miracles.

Why should that be a consideration?

How can you quantify the involvement of an omnipotent being? Again, how can either “hard” or “easy” make any sense here?

Incidentally, this is another instance in the bible of God being evil.

We have few other large clusters of miracles, perhaps, but there are plenty of one-off major miracles. The destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, Lot’s wife, Balaam’s ass, the walls of Jericho, the confusion of tongues, just off the top of my head as I type. Your excuses are lame and counterfactual (if the bible can be considered factual).

Nonsense. The present is ripe for miracles, to convince infidels of God’s existence, to bring the people back to God. All the reasons you cite would still apply.

Then why did you bring up the ones you did?

Certainly a capricious God can do anything at any time.

How can one will to do God’s will without first believing that he exists? All you’re saying is that anyone who already believes will be convinced.

Sure. If I want to make my garden grow, I can use the rain, i.e. by not preventing rain from happening. Why, right now I’m using earth’s gravity to make the moon orbit, and I’m using fusion to make the sun shine. Anyone could plainly see I’m doing that.

Different to me, perhaps. But different to God? Why?

No, you have shown me that you have an odd and personal definition of “uses”.

No, it doesn’t. Where’s the first point along the spectrum that defines orange? Who was the first speaker of French? What defines the first chicken?

Sure, we can make an arbitrary distinction. But it’s still arbitrary, which is my point.

Can you see that an unstated assumption may not be recognized? What evidence do you have that a benevolent theism is true? There can certainly be no empirical evidence, since any event at all, no matter how evil it appears, is consistent with it, given your assumptions.

What evidence?

Of course it is. The test can only confirm goodness, not refute it. If good doesn’t result, you just haven’t waited long enough. Or the good may accrue in heaven, where we can’t see it.

Exactly. Since you can’t set an end point, there’s no way to perform the test.

Right. We must use the data available to form our opinions. Given the extent of evil events, many of them in the distant past, for which we can so far see no countervailing good, it’s reasonable to take that as evidence that not everything is for the best. The bible is full of God’s evil actions for which no sufficient compensation occurs; the massacre of the Egyptian firstborn is commonly mentioned.

Nonsense. God is merely using you to end a life that he’s done with. If he wanted to keep them around, he wouldn’t have allowed you to do it. Following your reasoning, that is.

Does that mean they’ll be deprived of a few years’ worth of heaven, equal to the years they took away from their victims? Or will they suffer eternally for a finite crime?

How do they know that? The Nazis all have belt buckles that say “Gott mit uns”, after all. And how does pleasing God give one greater moral courage than an atheist has? Your bigotry shows here.

Why? What can any brief period count versus eternity? If you really believed in heaven you would be anxious to die and for others to die too.

Non sequitur.

No, they are meaningful only in this, our only life. If what’s keeping you from evil is only fear of punishment in the afterlife, you aren’t good at all, only scared. Ivan’s logic is flawed; it isn’t even logic.

Why not? Do you have an argument for that?

Didn’t work very well in Rwanda. Just saying.

What I understand about the burden of proof is that it rests with the person making the claims. You keep making claims and then denying you have to provide any evidence for them.

But you have not shown this is conceivable. You have not even shown it is remotely possible. You can’t even explain when and where you believe Adam and Eve lived. You can’t demonstrate or explain how this mysterious genetic change is possible or how it happened. You can’t explain how Adam and Eve are “first humans” if they weren’t the first humans who ever lived, or demonstrated that their contemporaries were non-human even if they were the “first” humans who ever lived.

But you haven’t even proved it’s possible. You can’t answer most questions about your model, you repeatedly blunder with the science, and you keep trying to use ad hoc reasoning as proof.

[quote=“DJensen, post:300, topic:9232”]

No, you made a clear, quantitative claim. Any data to support that?

You don’t have data.

And what did they find?

So you have no empirical support for your claim. Why did you make it?

I am skeptical.

Both are people risking their lives to help others.

No, you probably shouldn’t have made your claim without having any evidence to support it.

But to me, as a geneticist and neuroscientist, your “needed gene changes” make no sense at all.

You really don’t think that your “needed gene changes” need to have any basis in reality, when you are claiming to have demonstrated that someone else is wrong?

That’s fascinating.

In Nazi Germany, Jews were at great risk from Christians. The churches were overwhelmingly in support of the Nazis. The last time I raised the appalling track record of Christians in Nazi Germany, virtually no Christian here would even touch the discussion, and the few weak attempts to change the subject to something else only demonstrated their discomfort with the facts.

1 Like

I’ve reinserted the text you deleted:

Then your god is not determining genetic make-up, he’s only determining the overall outcome. Like fixing who is the ultimate winner in a poker game, but not fixing the cards in every hand.

You’re avoiding the question. Would your god ensure the child died of some other ailment?
[further avoidance deleted]

You mentioned what happened when your god wanted a child to ensue but the natural process produced genetic errors that made the child non-viable. You did not mention what happened when your god did not want a child to ensue but the natural process produced no genetic errors and the child was viable.

No, you’re making a statement about when children get souls. Your diversion is obvious.

You said “If the child dies before having a human soul…”. That implies that you think there is a period before children get souls.

I agree. You’re making things up, just like others have made things up.

You asked what the difference was between miscarriage vs non-fertilization. That’s an indication that you aren’t aware of the distress caused by miscarriages.

So given the options of (1) preventing a pregnancy from occurring or (2) knowingly allowing the fertilization of a non-viable foetus or an ectopic pregnancy, the result of which will be the death of the child and distress, pain and perhaps death of the mother, your god selects the latter.

Yet you maintain he is not doing a bad job.

All you are doing is demonstrating for the umpteenth time that religion enables the justification of atrocity.

Hi @DJensen, @Roy, @Mercer and @Jonathan_Burke,

It seems to me that this discussion is getting way off topic. The topic, I believe, was: “A scientifically viable model for a first human couple.”

It seems to me that there is a much deeper theological problem, however. Forget evolution; forget Adam and Eve. Those are trifling problems. The real problem, as I see it, is whether there was a “magic moment” at which the first true human being (or beings) appeared. There are powerful scientific reasons for saying that there was no such moment, but Christianity is wedded to the doctrine that there was such a moment, and that humanity (defined as hominins bearing “the image of God”) literally sprang into existence overnight. I’ll be writing a post about this and putting it up over at The Skeptical Zone in a few days. I hope it will generate a lively discussion. Cheers.

1 Like

I hope no one minds that I don’t answer everyone immediately. You’ve given me a lot to respond to and I don’t want to spend all of my time doing this. So it may be some time before I respond. Vincent, do give us a link for your post on the image of God when it’s out. We would like to see it.

J (Jensen): But the part of the sentence you omitted gives the reason [that we should think God allows few miracles generally and fewer miracles which require more intervention than those requiring less intervention into the world].

H (Harshman): No, that’s not a reason. It’s an attempt at an inference that God has some reason, but it doesn’t give the reason.

J: Let me remind you that you had phrased the question thus: “That’s just a repetition of the original claim, with the addition that ‘he has some reason’. How can you know he has some reason?” (295)

So the question was,”How do we know God has some reason?” not “What is God’s reason?” The reason I offered that we can know this was: “It is the fact that we see few strongly evidenced miracles [compared to apparently natural occurrences] that ‘suggests . . . he has some reason for keeping these numbers very low.’ ” This is reason to think that God has some reason for doing so. I never offered to give the reason God thinks this way, only that we have reason to think that God has such reasons. I do not think there have been few “easy” miracles in the world throughout history. Many poorly evidenced easy miracles (miracles not requiring a very great amount of intervention) would be compatible with an appearance of natural occurrences.

///////////////////////

J: “It is the fact that we see few strongly evidenced miracles that ‘suggests . . . he has some reason for keeping these numbers very low.’”

H: That, unfortunately, makes no sense. First, we don’t see “few” miracles; we see none. That isn’t a reason to suppose that God prefers small miracles; the simpler explanation of the data would be that God doesn’t perform miracles.

J: No, we do see a number of miracle claims which have never been refuted. “Craig Keener’s magisterial two-volume study” (C. Stephen Evans’ description), Miracles, amply demonstrates this. Of course, most are in the past or are otherwise inaccessible to current scientific scrutiny. But even past miracle claims can sometimes provide strong evidence still. For example, the basic historical evidence for Christianity, the evidence for the resurrection and messianic prophecy, is based on such past miracle claims. In any case, the glib atheist claim that we see no miracles, cannot stand. You simply have no good evidence that there definitely or even likely are no miracles.

///////////////////////

J: The miracles involving less intervention in the world, what I called “easy miracles,” would also often be less likely discernible as miracles.

H: Why should that be a consideration?

J: Because if we see far less discernible or clearly evidenced miracles overall through most of history compared to apparently natural events but if very many of those apparently natural events are the easy miracles, then we cannot say that there likely are no or few such miracles. It could even be that there are very many such easy miracles, like God deciding who should be born with what genetic makeup. I suggested earlier that these could be a kind of weak or easy miracle which applies to everyone. (I also mentioned that in God’s planning, some individuals may require no special intervention at all. If God knows what a particular mating will produce without intervention and it is what he has determined this individual should possess, no intervention is needed.)

///////////////////////

J: Stopping the earth from rotating for a few hours with no other noticeable affect would require quite a bit of involvement.

H: How can you quantify the involvement of an omnipotent being? Again, how can either “hard” or “easy” make any sense here?

J: Hard and easy is just a way I’m designating how much involvement in the world is needed. We do not quantify events precisely but only roughly and comparatively. Speaking into someones mind would seem to be easier than stopping the earth in its rotation. If the latter happened suddenly, I’ve been told this would tear much of the surface of the earth apart unless each particle were somehow constrained. Do we have any physicist watching this discussion? Would you know what would happen if the earth stopped rotating? (Just curious.) Whatever would happen, it should be obvious that there is a difference in these kind of miracles.

///////////////////////

H: Incidentally, this [bears killing the boys who mock Elisha] is another instance in the bible of God being evil.

J: No it’s not. If you think it is, give an argument.

///////////////////////

J:Other than these, we have very few OT miracles.

H: We have few other large clusters of miracles, perhaps, but there are plenty of one-off major miracles. The destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, Lot’s wife, Balaam’s ass, the walls of Jericho, the confusion of tongues, just off the top of my head as I type. Your excuses are lame and counterfactual (if the bible can be considered factual).

J: I did mean as clusters. Notice that two of these five occurred within the context of the Exodus. The Exodus was one of the two groups I mentioned.

///////////////////////

J: But for most of history, God does not have these special reasons for doing large numbers of these more obvious miracles.

H: Nonsense. The present is ripe for miracles, to convince infidels of God’s existence, to bring the people back to God. All the reasons you cite would still apply.

J: We need to be aware that if God exists he may have reasons for not making his existence obvious to absolutely everyone. Suppose you knew beyond any doubt that a good God exists whom you will stand before some day to be judged. Suppose you know this God deserves your deepest commitment and devotion. So when he judges you, you know that if you suffer punishment of some kind for rejecting or disbelieving in him, you will be getting what you deserve. Anyone in their right mind would bow to this God. But it would be a forced submission. The God who deserves our commitment wants to know if we shall willingly and freely admit our commitment to this God. That’s why the knowledge of God’s existence cannot be undeniably obvious to everyone. Those who first tell God that they would commit themselves to this him on simply the possibility that he exists are the ones he leads to find him and find evidence for his existence.

There are some people who run into persuasive miraculous or similar kinds of persuasive evidence without first seeking God. There were some in the Exodus (the story goes) who watched the Red Sea part, or some in the crowds who saw Jesus raise the dead. And many who did so became convinced that what the miracle worker said was true and they believed and continued in their belief because of that evidence. This evidence motivates some to make a decision, to ask what would they choose if they thought the proffered religious claims were true. That’s what God is looking for in our religious decisions.

But even in cases like this, it is possible for people who do not want to believe it to forget or distort what they had seen. Some Israelites, so the story goes, would eventually say it was a golden calf that delivered them from Egypt and led them through the Red Sea. Likewise, some who saw Jesus’ miracles could eventually repress what they remembered seeing, or even rationalize some other explanation for the phenomenon. So almost any evidence, no matter how strong, can be repressed or rejected for one reason or another.

Strongly evidenced miracles are not necessarily undeniably persuasive for everyone but they could be for some people. God would not let there be excessively strong evidence of miracles available to everyone since there are some who would consider it undeniable and would not be able to freely choose to accept or reject God and what they perceive to be God’s will. Because of this God would providentially control who is exposed to such miracles. This fits the scenario of there being periods in history when a large number of well evidenced miracles occur but other times when few occur.

I mentioned that there are times when God may want to begin a new movement (e.g., Christianity) or establish strong beliefs in a population (the Exodus) and has used miracles to do so. Using Christianity as an example, the biblical account has it that this movement first became strongly established with many new adherents following a number of miracles. Some of the new followers may have been more inclined to disbelieve were they exposed to lesser evidence. But once the new religion became strongly established in numerous areas and more people were then exposed to this belief, the newer inquirers were exposed to weaker evidence rather than strong miraculous evidence. With so many more people exposed to this religion, relatively fewer would believe than would have occurred had they been exposed to strong miraculous evidence, yet this would still be a large number since we are now beginning with such a larger number exposed to this new evidence. Those who first believed on the basis of stronger miraculous evidence who, if they had their choice, would have disbelieved, might now begin to disbelieve. As I suggested above, there are fairly easy ways to do so. Sometimes it just takes time to forget or repress what was once thought to be compelling evidence. Still, God would need to make sure that some would never be exposed to such stronger miraculous evidence, those who are so intellectually honest that they would never doubt this evidence. God wants to see them make a free choice first. God could allow them to be exposed to such very strong evidence only once they do freely choose to believe on lesser evidence or on the mere possibility that there is a good God who deserves their commitment.

If this is what happened, this would explain why there were (according to the Bible) special periods when there were many more miracles than other times. It also fits my claim that God does not give everyone evidence for belief which is so strong that it could never be doubted. I do not think that it was only in the past that God wanted these special periods of clusters of strongly evidenced miracles. When Christianity first entered Nepal a little over a half a century ago, there were accounts of it spreading with numerous powerful miracles. Once churches became established, the miracle claims diminished. This story is purely anecdotal of course, but if it is true, it illustrates this idea of God wanting to first establish a strong church and then letting it continue by good evidence but not the excessively strong evidence it began with.

///////////////////////

J: It takes other arguments to provide evidence for some of the claims.

H: Then why did you bring up the ones you did?

J: You misunderstand what I’m saying. You were talking about the Kalam and the argument from consciousness and said they say nothing about God caring about us. The other arguments which give reason to think God cares about us are religious experience and the specific arguments for Christianity which I had mentioned.

///////////////////////

J: But it [evidence for belief] may be accessible to others depending on whether God wants to give it or not.

H: Certainly a capricious God can do anything at any time.

J: After making this statement I went on to clarify that God gives evidence according to what one will accept and that our seeking after God is the most important key to having God allow us access to such evidence. If biblical theism is true, God does sometimes allow non-seekers access to this evidence, but the only way one can feel assured they will attain such evidence is if they do earnestly seek the truth from God. This is hardly capricious. Only your skill at clipping and isolating statements out of context can make anyone think that I suggested that God is capricious.

///////////////////////

J: Jesus claimed that anyone who wills to do God’s will shall discover that Christianity is true (John 7.17).

H: How can one will to do God’s will without first believing that he exists? All you’re saying is that anyone who already believes will be convinced.

J: No, you can do that on just the possibility that God exists. Just say, “God if you are there and you deserve my commitment, I would give it. Let me know if you are there.”

///////////////////////

J: If God sees that allowing the natural processes will achieve the desired goal, then God does nothing but he is still using the natural processes to attain that goal.

H: Sure. If I want to make my garden grow, I can use the rain, i.e. by not preventing rain from happening. Why, right now I’m using earth’s gravity to make the moon orbit, and I’m using fusion to make the sun shine. Anyone could plainly see I’m doing that.

J: If you were God, whether or not anyone sees you doing that, you are still doing it. If God set up the natural processes to achieve these goals, how is he not using them?

///////////////////////

J: But surely you would admit that there is an enormous difference between God manipulating someone’s brain to find someone attractive and . . . stopping the rotation of the earth for a few hours.

H: Different to me, perhaps. But different to God? Why?

J: Obviously different to God since God would be aware that one would involve little intervention in the world and the other an untold number of interactions in the world. If every particle of the earth would have to be held in place to stop earth’s rotation, that’s a lot of intervention. But you are claiming that even that much difference shouldn’t make any difference to God since God is omnipotent. But how do you know that? By just assuming that this is what omnipotence means? I’m just saying that it could be that omnipotence means being able to do anything which is logically possible but with the one qualification that God acts by his omnipotence to interact with the world as little as is necessary. That just may be how God’s omnipotence works. You have no grounds to say that God’s omnipotence must be different.

///////////////////////

J: There can be a first chicken and a first French speaker; it all depends on what definition we accept for each.

H: Sure, we can make an arbitrary distinction. But it’s still arbitrary, which is my point.

J: But it wouldn’t be arbitrary to God if God could say, “Ah, I’ve finally reached a point at which I can communicate with this creature with their full innate awareness of what I’m saying and they can be fully aware of moral issues and obligations so that I can deal with them in a moral way.” That would distinguish those God speaks to as humans in the Bible from those whom we do not know how God deals with at all, the non-human animals.

///////////////////////

J: When I say, “Some of God’s actions are inscrutable in their detail but they are always to bring about a greater good than the evil involved” (J1), I am assuming that this is true if a benevolent theism is true.

H: Can you see that an unstated assumption may not be recognized? What evidence do you have that a benevolent theism is true? There can certainly be no empirical evidence, since any event at all, no matter how evil it appears, is consistent with it, given your assumptions.

J: If I’ve failed to make clear this assumption, at least it is clear now and we should go on from here simply understanding and accepting this assumption. I don’t have the initiative right now to search my old posts to see if I have failed to make this clear as you suggest. And it is not true that no event, no matter how evil it appears, is consistent with my claim that God could bring this about and still be good. If we can imagine an event from which no greater good can possibly arise, then that would show that God is not good. I think that the traditional idea of some eternally suffering in hell (ECT) would be such an event since there is no way a greater good can arise from it. But there is no suffering in this world which is such that it can be demonstrated that a greater good cannot come of it. All such suffering is ultimately bounded by death. The problem of evil (POE) cannot disprove an omnibenevolent theism (at least if it concerns suffering in this world), but that does not mean there is evidence that there is such a being. It takes other arguments, arguments such as those I’ve mentioned earlier, to arrive at a good God.

///////////////////////

J: This is not an untestable future [testing theism by seeing if God eventually recompenses all undeserved suffering].

H: Of course it is. The test can only confirm goodness, not refute it. If good doesn’t result, you just haven’t waited long enough. Or the good may accrue in heaven, where we can’t see it.

J: If the test can only confirm God’s existence and goodness, it is still a test of a kind. We understand that scientific hypotheses may often be falsified but not verified and that is good enough for us. Why shouldn’t it be accepted that God’s existence and goodness is verifiable but not falsifiable? If we simply cease to exist at death, then of course it won’t be verified or falsified; we’ll just never know :-). If we have some kind of conscious existence after death (not reincarnation with its unending memory erase with each new life), and the existence of this good God or good recompense for undeserved suffering never occurs, eventually we will have at least a kind of practical falsification of such claims. So we have a kind of eschatological verification as Hick called it.

///////////////////////

J: I’ve shown merely that no one can give a sound argument that no greater good can come of the evil in the world.

H: Right. We must use the data available to form our opinions. Given the extent of evil events, many of them in the distant past, for which we can so far see no countervailing good, it’s reasonable to take that as evidence that not everything is for the best. The bible is full of God’s evil actions for which no sufficient compensation occurs; the massacre of the Egyptian firstborn is commonly mentioned.

J: No, I’ve shown that if there is a good God, the evil we see in the world is what we would expect and the explanations I’ve given for those evils shows the greater good that will come (again, if that omnibenevolent God exists). This give no reason to think such a God does not exist or that sufficient compensation will not occur. You have given no evidence that sufficient compensation will not occur or that the testing in the context of suffering is not a good reason for allowing this suffering.

The killing of the Egyptian firstborn (most of whom would have been adults remember) was a judgment against a nation which had enslaved the Israelites for around 400 years. If you say, well most of the Egyptian people may not have acquiesced to Pharaoh’s law to enslave them, then, if there is a good God, the God described in the Bible, their undeserved suffering will be compensated.

///////////////////////

J: There may be much more this person is intended to do or accomplish, more moral choices they are to confront, more good or evil they are to bring about according to their choice.

H: Nonsense. God is merely using you to end a life that he’s done with. If he wanted to keep them around, he wouldn’t have allowed you to do it. Following your reasoning, that is.

J: It sounds like you are assuming a scenario in which God has me take someone’s life. That is not what we were talking about. We were talking about just anyone killing someone on their own. In fact, God does not want people killing each other, that’s why it is condemned in the Bible and God ordered the death penalty for such acts in the OT. But God does give people the ability to kill each other since it is better to give us this ability, this freedom, than not.

But there are some cases in which God actually plans that some be killed, perhaps even innocent people. Someone brought up the story in the Bible of the death of Job’s servants in Job 1 which was done for Job’s testing. This might be the kind of situation you are thinking of in your reply. In a case like this, there might be several possible answers I could give. Everyone is given a certain amount of time to live. According to the Bible some die young because of some evil they had done. But we aren’t talking about them since we know that many innocent people die young as well. Our basic purpose in life is to find and know our creator. We all must face the choice of what we would do with this God whether we know he exists or not. If we don’t, God wants to know if we will choose to accept or reject God on the possibility that he is there. God also wants to know what we will choose in our moral life, whether we will do the good or not, what we will make of our lives morally. Once those choices are made, God may take our lives at any time he chooses. Whether such a person is old or young, their purpose is completed and they enter another world. I think God may give some a longer life for different reasons. For instance, some may ask God for a longer life to accomplish some good they have in mind that they want to come out of their lives. For those who have not lived long enough to have made the moral and spiritual choices, I think they are given the chance to return to life in this world.

We should also be aware that in some cases God plans that someone should die at a given time unless someone else should intervene. Sometimes God wants his people to pray for someone’s healing; he may want to know if a friend will intervene for someone who is suicidal. These are just a couple of examples I can think of at the moment. Bring up some others if you think you can find something problematic for my argument.

///////////////////////

J: God will be just and those who have done evil will receive back according to what they have done

H: Does that mean they’ll be deprived of a few years’ worth of heaven, equal to the years they took away from their victims? Or will they suffer eternally for a finite crime?

J: My own view is that everyone will eventually be accepted by God. I think that this is the most likely biblical view. Eternal suffering for a finite evil doesn’t make much sense. The Bible does indicate that the suffering will be equal to the evil they’ve done. Still, Jesus said it would be better to cut off one’s hand or tear out an eye rather than to end up there. If they get what they deserve, they won’t like it. If they seek the truth from God, they will discover that Christianity is true. If they repent of any evil they had committed and accept the sacrifice God endured to reconcile them to himself, God will deliver them from the punishment they deserve it.

///////////////////////

H: Why should a religious person hide Jews from the Nazis?

J: Because they know this pleases God and God will honor them for doing so.

H: How do they know that? The Nazis all have belt buckles that say “Gott mit uns”, after all. And how does pleasing God give one greater moral courage than an atheist has? Your bigotry shows here.

J: They knew this because most of them were Christians and they knew what the Bible said. It doesn’t matter what your belt buckles say if you know you are contradicting what your scripture says—unless of course you believe in a very different god than the God of the Bible. I’ve given my argument that the desire to please God and the knowledge that God will give honor and eternal life to those who do what is right will produce the moral courage to so act. This isn’t bigotry, it’s just the logical conclusion of my argument. Refute my argument if you think I’m wrong.

One other point, if you think I’m being bigoted in thinking atheists are more likely to do evil than theists, are you being bigoted for thinking theists are more likely to do evil than atheists?

///////////////////////

J: No, Christians and other theists want to keep living in this world just about as much as anyone else.

H: Why? What can any brief period count versus eternity? If you really believed in heaven you would be anxious to die and for others to die too.

J: Reread my post you clipped this statement from. This answers your claim.

///////////////////////

H: If what’s keeping you from evil is only fear of punishment in the afterlife, you aren’t good at all, only scared.

J: I showed you that’s not the only reason. But even if it were, the knowledge that God will be just and give us as we rightly deserve does in fact motivate us to do good. That’s more than you can say for atheism. If this is your only life, why not do anything you want so long as you think you can get away with it? You know very well that there are many people who feel exactly that way. The more serious problems arise when you have people with political power who think that way and start acting that way. This is what cost 40 million people their lives under Stalin and 60 million under Mao.

///////////////////////

J: Could the creator delight in the unmitigated pain of the innocent? Could he be content with any evil?

H: Why not? Do you have an argument for that?

J: The paragraph containing of the quote you clipped gives the intuitive argument; I offered nothing more than that.

///////////////////////

J: Without hesitation he answered, the nun or priest.

H: Didn’t work very well in Rwanda. Just saying.

J: Do you have some statistics concerning nuns or priests involved in the Rwanda holocaust?

J (Jensen): You’re much more likely to hand over the people you are hiding. Secularists are much less likely to show moral courage.
M (Mercer): Any data to support that?
J: My argument simply asks what a secularist would likely do given their assumptions.
M: No, you made a clear, quantitative claim. Any data to support that?
M: So you have no empirical support for your claim. Why did you make it?

J: Because what I gave is a sufficient argument in itself. I could try to dig up statistics from the discussion I had heard or question the researchers if I can contact them, but right now I’m not giving that kind of argument. Evidently you can’t deal with the argument I’ve given so you want to evade it and try to require a different kind. This is called chasing red herring. It is very obvious that you cannot refute my argument.

///////////////////////

J: But considering the number of each group who did hide Jews, your best bet of finding someone to hide you would have been someone who made some Christian profession.

M: I am skeptical.

J: You know there was strong opposition to Hitler from members of the Confessing Church and officially and locally from the Catholic Church and you also know that the general non-religious population generally accepted him. So you would honestly rather go to a random person on the street for help rather than from a priest or nun? And you consider yourself a reasonable person?

///////////////////////

J: I would need to know exactly what the health care personnel believe about their chances of contracting the disease in their particular functions. What have some said that would be relevant?

M: No, you probably shouldn’t have made your claim without having any evidence to support it.

J: I’m just asking you to clarify exactly what you mean by this statement. Whether or not I have evidence for my claim has nothing to do with your explaining what health professionals think of their work.

M (Mercer): But to me, as a geneticist and neuroscientist, your “needed gene changes” make no sense at all.

J (Jensen): Please explain why you think this.

///////////////////////

M: You really don’t think that your “needed gene changes” need to have any basis in reality, when you are claiming to have demonstrated that someone else is wrong?
That’s fascinating.

J: Of course I think it must have a basis in reality, that it actually occurred. What I do not need is to specify what that change is or when or where it happened or any other extraneous facts Burke thinks are needed. All that I need is to hypothesize that since it is undeniable that genetic changes occurred which brought about at least the basis of the changes in increased cognitive ability until we reached modern humans, this and the scenario I offered shows that Coyne’s argument is undercut and fails. Please, show me how this argument fails if you think it does.

Let me give an illustration. Maybe with this you and Burke will see how you fail to understand the burden of proof. Imagine a couple of prehistoric astronomers in conversation. G (geocentrist) argues that it is obvious and undeniable that the sun travels around the earth (or at least travel across the sky during the day). Watch the sun move from below the horizon in the east in the morning, up to near the top of the sky by noon, and over to the west in the afternoon. H (heliocentrist) points out that the same phenomenon could be accounted for by the rotation of the earth on an axis. H’s explanation shows that G’s claim is not undeniable. H does not need to present new evidence. H’s evidence is nothing more than what G started with. H has not shown that heliocentrism (or at least a proto-heliocentrism) is more likely than geocentrism. It would take many more centuries before that could be attempted. But H has shown that geocentrism cannot be claimed to be more likely than heliocentrism.

Likewise I’m not trying to show that it is more likely that there was a first couple, only that it is possible and that therefore Coyne’s claim cannot stand that it is undeniable that there was no first human couple given our current scientific knowledge. No new scientific knowledge is needed. Also it cannot be shown that this first couple model is less likely than Coyne’s claim. That may be done only if it can be shown that some of the minor instances of divine intervention would not likely occur.

Could you give the statistics for this claim? In the long run this may not matter for your argument, but I’d like to know how you back up your claim.

Yes, though as I said, there may be times God will want to determine specific characteristics and with that may have to be sure a particular genome is present. How precisely this must be, of course I would not know.

R (Roy): You’re avoiding the question. Would your god ensure the child died of some other ailment?

J (Jensen): Honestly, I’m not trying to avoid your question. Yes, God would ensure that the child would die if that was God’s determined goal. A biblical example would be God’s judgment of David in which his son died. In many cases, God leaves the life of the child up to some human choice. For example, one may have a genetically fatal disease and God may heal the child depending on whether and to what extant the parents and/or others pray for the child. Here, God would want to know how much these people are determined to seek God for a goal God also wants.

///////////////////////

J: So if you say I’m “making this up,” then that is what all theologies do in situations like this.

R: I agree. You’re making things up, just like others have made things up.

J: But don’t forget what I went on to say. These are just possible explanations given what the Bible teaches so it’s not really “making things up.” Also, because there is little biblical support for the views concerning the state of the unborn and very young children, they should be held very tentatively. That does not mean some views are not better than others. There are arguments for and against each; some good, some not so good. For example, the eternal torment view, even the eternal limbo view, just makes no sense in light of the biblical view of God’s love and goodness.

R (Roy): So given the options of (1) preventing a pregnancy from occurring or (2) knowingly allowing the fertilization of a non-viable foetus or an ectopic pregnancy, the result of which will be the death of the child and distress, pain and perhaps death of the mother, your god selects the latter.

J (Jensen): Yes, sometimes the latter, sometimes the former, it depends on God purposes. I’ve talked earlier about Job and how God allowed his undeserved suffering and the (presumably) undeserved and premature deaths of his servants. In the case you describe, yes, God may sometimes allow, maybe directly cause, the pain and distress; sometimes God will even allow the death of the mother. In this case, as in Job’s case, suffering and even death is allowed in order to test those suffering and those hurt by another’s death. It is very important principle that this testing must occur. By this God knows whether in the face of suffering we will reject or cling to the God who yet deserves our commitment. This is the most important testing we could go through. It applies to atheists as well as theists. The atheist must ask oneself how they would respond to such a God if he did exist. The greatest good cannot occur without this testing. God will also compensate for any undeserved suffering we endure.

///////////////////////

R: Yet you maintain he is not doing a bad job.
All you are doing is demonstrating for the umpteenth time that religion enables the justification of atrocity.

J: I’ve just shown that allowing pain in the world is not doing a bad job. And the explanation I’ve given does not justify atrocity. If you mean that God’s allowing great suffering allows atrocity, I think this is a misuse of the word. We normally think of an atrocity as great suffering caused by humans which has no justification, an outrageous misuse of authority. At least that is a common connotation. To speak of the suffering God allows or causes as atrocities slips in a subtle equivocation. So to avoid a dishonest use of words we should just call it great pain and suffering. I have shown that if there is a good God, he could have good justifying reason for allowing great suffering.

Your argument is a straw man fallacy.

You gave a quantitative argument. That’s the kind that needs numbers.

I’m not evading anything. I’m challenging your quantitative claim.

No, I don’t know anything of the sort. I know the Catholic church ranged from being complicit to not involved to opposition. Have you heard of the concordat of 1933?

You’ve already demonstrated that you prefer to assign assumptions to large groups of people instead of finding out what their actual assumptions are.

Because your discussion of “needed gene changes” has no basis in what we know about genetics and neuroscience.

Your hypothesis has no basis in genetic or neuroscientific reality. You clearly have no understanding of the complex relationships between genotype and phenotype.

You are illustrating evasion.

Evidence to support your claims about genetics and neuroscience does not come from an imaginary conversation between prehistoric astronomers.

1 Like