Did Coyne Oppose Collins as NIH Director?

That is all we can ask of you. The sooner the better though.

You can find your comment here: Scientists Are Not Anti-Creation - #37 by Eddie. I’ve heard you say similar things all the time, about Coyne in particular. The whole point of the prior thread is that you really got secular scientists wrong. They are not intolerant in the way you think. In fact, they are very tolerant of religious belief, as long as you play by the rules: The Rules of the Game.

You wrote, as Patrick quoted it,

Coyne, to my knowledge, has not called Collins “dumb,” nor has he said Collins should not be head of the NIH. That is what he is objecting to here, and you certainly said it.

@Jerry_Coyne, himself, has provided his current assessment (Collins was deluded, not dumb) about it and linked to his prior post. The issue for Coyne has been about the potential for misusing his secular position in the government to promote religion. The concerns were about maintaining science and government as secular efforts. I also endorse those concerns.

This is how Patrick and I explained it before, in a different context:

You do not have to agree with Coyne. I, for one, do not agree Collins is deluded. It is important, nonetheless, to understand what is really going on here. Too often the real concerns of secular scientists are missed. Much unneeded conflict ensues, and many opportunities for peace are missed.

1 Like