DNA origami shows why design is the best explanation

Names of those many biologists you claim think the flagellum is evidence for design.

Or this:

1. A flagellum is a result of natural evolution
  2. A flagellum is a motor
  3. Ergo, motors evolve
  4. A Studebaker V-8 is a motor
  5. Ergo, Studebaker V-8 motors naturally evolved.

A Studebaker V-8 is a motor, so it’s the result of evolution. Very simple.

Furthermore, @scd will be happy to know that it can be deducted that the evolution of motors was by reproduction.

1. Human beings reproduce
  2. Human beings are composed of matter
  3. Ergo, matter reproduces
  4. Studebaker V-8 motors are composed of matter
  5. Ergo, Studebaker V-8 motors reproduce.

Combine the rigorous logic of these two irrefutable arguments and it is just obvious that the existence of Studebaker V-8s is due to reproduction and evolution, probably descended from some common ancestor like a potter’s wheel.

7 Likes

Indeed! And we do have something of a faunal succession to view, too. The Studebaker 289 V-8 was clearly descended from the 259. And as a Studebaker fan who has visited more than a few junkyards in search of obscure stainless steel trim pieces, I can attest that the fossil record is rich.

4 Likes

Well done. A clear demonstration of the folly of argument by bad analogy.

3 Likes

basically any biologist who is also a creationist.

And are the numbers of creationist biologists “many” in comparison to the total number of biologists? I think not.

1 Like

Name some.

1 Like

Okay, so putting that statement back in it’s original context:

LOL

But yeah, @Puck_Mendelssohn has to eat his own words now that creationists who are biologists have been invoked(there are bound to be some regardless of how you cut the definition of biologist), and they think the flagellum is evidence for design. So the challenge was met, surely, and now we have to accept that the flagellum is evidence for design, right? - because creationist biologists think so. This is where an appeal to authority will get you. Someone goes and finds someone who qualifies as an authority. So now you have to invoke the appeal to popularity in response, which is equally fallacious, and just provokes the response that majority views have been overturned before and… on and on this same circus goes every fucking time.

So now we have to start all over again and ask what it is about the flagellum that make creationist biologists think it is evidence for design. And I think we can all guess where this is going.

It’s a motor.

Hello face, meet desk.

2 Likes

There are some times when a person should not engage in correspondence without donning a protective helmet first. Desks are hard!

you can find some of them in that list:

because you are the one who asked for evidence for design. not me. i do think the flagellum is a motor and therefore is the result of design.

why its unreasonable to think a motor is the product of design?

we do see designers (humans) produce genomes by genetic engineering.

I think the flagellum looks like a type III secretory system, from whence it evolved.

https://chem.tufts.edu/answersinscience/MillerID-Collapse.htm

Wot? That few? :rofl:

Even laying aside that only a fraction of the “Creation Scientists” on that list are biologists, and the fact that at least some of them will in all likelihood think that, although they accept creation, they think that bacterial flagella specifically, or the Argument from Design more generally, are bad arguments for it, this is evidence only that a pathetically minuscule number of biologists think the flagellum is evidence for design.

I have to wonder if we counted up the number of biologists who believe Elvis is still alive (admittedly a shrinking number as time goes by), or biologists who believe in UFO abductions, would we come up with a similar order of magnitude? :thinking:

There are hundreds of thousands of biologists (maybe even millions). :sunglasses:

Addendum, I can find a number of mentions of 3,150,000 biologists worldwide, cited to International Federation of Biologists, over a decade ago, but no confirmation on this figure.

1 Like

I think @Tim covered the points I would have made but I looked at your link and struggled to find a living biologist at all on that particular list. Anyway, I thought you knew some biologists, at least their names, among the (you say) many who think the various bacterial flagella are evidence for “Design”.

Though I do wonder, taking Creationists in the broadest sense, who among them don’t think the whole universe is evidence of God’s design.

i can say the same about a compass, which is also similar to a watch (image from wiki):

but there are no no small steps from a compass to a watch.

that was Puck request (biologists who think the flagellum was designed).

as far as im aware most biologists believe in higher power.

False. :grimacing:

Your unsubstantiated assertion of “many biologists do think the flagellum is evidence for design” was NOT in response to any “request” from @Puck_Mendelssohn. It was in response to this statement:

So what does @scd offer as pathetically inadequate substantiation for his “many biologists”? A (tiny) bunch of creationist biologists – precisely proving @Puck_Mendelssohn’s original statement. :rofl:

You really are just throwing any ol’ thing at the wall and hoping it will stick, aren’t you @scd? :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

here is what he said:

so basically even a single biologist is enough to meet the demand, and this is what i did.

Full quote:

Given that explicit caveat in the first paragraph, do you really think @Puck_Mendelssohn will be even remotely impressed by your pathetically short list of creationist biologists?

1 Like

My goodness. Evidently among your talents at word play is the deliberate misconstruction of others’ statements. Obviously what is meant here is the sort of evidence which biologists use to draw conclusions about similar questions. That there are some small number of biologists who are insane, senile, or otherwise incapable of good judgment isn’t evidence for your proposition. Actual biological evidence is what you need.

4 Likes

great. what kind of evidence i need to show you in order to believe that the flagellum motor is evidence for design?

No comment. :sunglasses:

But I do know of one creationist who appears to have missed English grammar in school to the extent that they don’t know the difference between a “pathetically short list” and “pathetic creationist biologists”. :smirk: