Does Evolution Rule Out God?

true. do you agree that a spinning motor is evidence for design?

I have been to many Sadirs. Never once was I asked if I believed in the God or the stories of the Torah/OT. In fact many of my Jewish friends are Jewish Atheists. I myself am a Roman Catholic Atheist. We put up a nice Christmas tree and celebrate Christmas with presents and family dinners. We don’t say grace and we live life totally without beliefs in any deity. You may not realize this but the US is overwhelming secular now. Secular morality, ethics, and values have rightfully replaced the awful morality, ethics, and values of the Bible, Torah, Koran.

Yes a spinning motor is evidence of design by an human engineer and manufacturing team who evolved through common decent via natural selection.

1 Like

so this motor is evidence for design?:
bacterial%20flagella%20in%20detail

(image from https://www.quora.com/Are-prokaryotic-flagella-and-eukaryotic-flagella-different-in-structure)

Nice diagram. It looks like a representation of cell drawn by a mechanical engineer.

1 Like

@Patrick:

This is not how I worded the analogy. You either missed the point or are trying to distract from the point.

The point of my analogy was your behavior here is similar to someone who arrives at a Sadir, and without even being asked about the stories of the O.T., the person starts pontificating about how the divine ritual being performed is fraudulent.

No I would never do that as it would be impolite, Most of the Sadirs had the pleasure of being at were in households of what is referred to as Reformed Jews. The rituals are more of family tradition to celebrate family and remember past Sadirs with loved ones who are no longer here. In am certain that the morality of my friends are such that they would not condone the killing of innocent Egyptian babies. As I have said most are what I refer to as Jewish Atheists sort of like Bernie Sanders. I consider myself a Roman Catholic atheist. Christmas at my home is very traditional Italian American Catholic.

@Patrick

Well, no kidding. And so, if an Atheist shows up to assist in convincing Creationists about the value and logic of Evolutionary science…

… but suddenly starts launching into speeches about Religion being Fraudulent, and God not existing… that would be essentially be like someone showing up at a Sadir and launching into the O.T. is a Fraud speech.

1 Like

Look I can easily separate science and my atheism, which is only an opinion that I have had for decades. I have done scientific research for 35 years never once did anyone’s religion, beliefs, or non-beliefs got into the mix. I only seen it mixed after I retired and started mingling with non science people. Then every discussion became a mix of science and their religion. I once told a person I just meet that I lived across the street from the horn antenna that was used to discover the cosmic background radiation. Response: I don’t believe in the Big Bang.

@Patrick,

And if you had been mentally prepared to influence this Creationist’s view of the Universe, you could have said:

“The idea of the Big Bang was formulated by a Priest who was convinced that God was involved in Creation? Why would you think the Big Bang denies God’s role?”

There are Atheists on the BioLogos forums who are able to sustain a conversation along these lines. For you, it would seem, this is impossible.

so we have evidence for design in the cell. right?

yes, an unintelligent design by random mutations with nonrandom natural selection.

what is “unintelligent design”? if it was designed then its the result of intelligent by definition.

Evolution is unintelligent design by natural selection. Exquisitely designed in form and function without any forethought, insight, purpose, or meaning.

Which is why there is a BioLogos.com, a Camel’s Hump, a FaradayInsitute.org, and a PeacefulScience.org

We do not traffic in “evolution”… we teach God-Guided Evolution.

You just put an adjective in front of evolution when no adjective was needed to explain anything.

You must be lost, @patrick.

The Society of Presumptuous Atheists is meeting on the 2nd floor. This is the 3rd floor. Have a great day.

I do not know if God guides evolution. If he does, we would not be able to detect it.

1 Like

I am not lost. My sincerely held non-religious beliefs are important to me. I am a devout atheist with both feelings and constitutional rights. In past centuries my kind were burnt on the stake and persecuted by the Church. Today in 40 countries, atheism is a crime punishable by death. An atheist blogger in Saudi Arabia has be sentenced to 1000 lashes and death.

That is deplorable and sad.

1 Like