Does ID have Hypotheses?

That’s wrong. The bacterial flagellum, which is a very complex and arguably rare molecular machine, can be simply described as follow:
bidirectional rotary motor-driven propeller.
Many other complex molecular machines are similarly easy to describe, such as ion channels for example.

Agree

Here is how the hypothesis relates to ID.
If protein functions are rare and isolated in sequence space, it follows that ID is true.
However, if protein functions are not rare or not isolated in sequence space, it doesn’t follow that ID is wrong.

But that is not a description of a flagellum, but rather a more general description of a sort of “class” of machines.

It’s sort of like saying “bipedal carbon-based lifeform” is a simple description of a human being. The simpler you make the explanation, the more detail is missing about the things you’re trying to describe. An accurate explanation would be one that allows you to sort of reconstruct the described object using the description.

A bidirectional rotary motor-driven propeller could be an innumerable number of things. The propeller of a helicopter, a fan, you name it.

2 Likes

Heh, that perfectly encapsulates what I noted in an earlier post in this thread. Protein functions being rare and isolated in sequence space is not actually a prediction of ID. There’s no principle of ID, nor the physics of biomolecules, that somehow entails this conclusion.

The whole thing has been invented and conceived out of a wish to try to shown there must be a designer/creator.

2 Likes

So no matter what the nature of the evidence, you conclude that ID is right?

4 Likes

No, that doesn’t follow. Also, they aren’t rare or isolated.

If ID is compatible with any possible data set, so is not a useful concept.

4 Likes

Let’s formulate things differently. If protein functions are rare and isolated in sequence space, then ID best explains it.

No, not at all. Why do you say that?

That still doesn’t follow.

4 Likes

Recently found a couple of articles very relevant to this continued misapprehension about the relationship between biological functions and polymer sequence space:

4 Likes

You have not quantified your definition of rare and isolated.

You are also apparently relying on Axe’s paper, which has been strongly discredited by (1) subsequent research, and (2) methology which never supported extrapolation to genetic processes in vivo.

You have not explained why the alleged rarity of functionality in sequence space is relevant to ID theory. Is it a God-of-the-gaps argument? (No known biological process works, therefore God?)

Regards,
Chris

5 Likes

@T_aquaticus, I don’t remember you being in my lab.

And it was 50 cents a box my daughters got for stuffing pipette tip boxes. Needless to say, students in my lab grumbled when they did the math and figured my kids were paid a whole lot more per hour,…

1 Like

No, but in high school I did work with scales where the balance beam would only go to one of two positions, full up or full down.

No. The only language that applies here are the laws of chemistry and physics, because that’s how DNA works. IF it were coded in English then there would be proof beyond doubt of intelligent creation. Attaching a simple label to something doesn’t make the object any simpler (example: the computer in front of you).

In fairness, this is a question of how information is coded, a rather obscure topic that rarely enters these discussions. The point is that human languages have no relevance to DNA coding, and DNA does not show the kind of structure that languages hace (I might have a reference for that somewhere).

2 Likes

I had one like that. I decided it was Schrodinger’s scale, and postulated that it only was in one of those two positions when being observed. Of course, this was not an easily testable hypothesis.

2 Likes

Cc: @Giltil

If English is like DNA, then I would be curious what the reverse complement of “Hello” is. :wink:

I would argue that all molecules are as digital as DNA is. Water has the code H2O, as an example. You could also spell out the code of each atom and molecule using its orbitals. We could also describe the Earth as a magnetic dynamo machine if we wanted. The Sun? Obviously a fusion power plant. We can describe almost anything as a machine if we want. Doing so might impress those who are already convinced of ID, but the rest of us aren’t that impressed.

8 Likes

There’s no actual code, because there is no abstraction involved. “Code” is used metaphorically.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.