Eight ways evangelicals are driving Americans to atheism

I have sat in graduate seminars on Hebrew Bible, and heard scores of papers at scholarly conferences on the Bible, at which both grad students and professors have sneered at the very idea of the Bible “teaching” anything. It is regarded by many as a sign of academic immaturity to look for any “teaching” in the Bible (as opposed to simply dismembering it to determine its hypothetical source documents). People who want to talk about what the Bible “teaches” are regarded as folks who belong off in some church setting somewhere, or in some denominational seminary, not in the academy. Apparently you haven’t had a very wide personal acquaintance with Biblical scholars and their attitudes. That probably comes from trying to teach yourself theology and Biblical studies by using the internet and by reading books, as opposed to studying under actual theologians and Biblical scholars and attending their conferences.

You mistake having contempt for certain developments for being ignorant of them.

What a joke! No fundamentalist place would hire me, even if I would want to work in such a place – which I wouldn’t.

You continue to completely misunderstand my theological position, because you work within a narrow set of categories involving black-and-white thinking. But this is typical of you: you can’t grasp nuanced positions on climate change, evolutionary mechanisms, and many other things. So you assume that if someone doesn’t capitulate to your conclusions, he must hold to some opposite extreme which you consider uninformed and irrational. This is bizarre, as you claim to have an undergrad degree in Classics; I’ve never met a Classics major who is as doctrinaire and as black-and-white in his thinking as you. They much teach Classics differently in Tasmania (or wherever it was you studied) than they do on the other side of the Pacific.