EN: Muller Two-Step a Refutation of Behe's Irreducible Complexity?

Perfect. You now are an honorary New Jersey-an and you can meet us at the Pork Store for espresso.

1 Like

Sounds great!! What exit??!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

exit 118 turn right.

1 Like

Have you read any books on evolution (e.g. Kenneth Miller) that you consider to be well written?

2 Likes

@T.j_Runyon

So do you agree with me that ID topics are footnotesā€¦ with virtually no relevance to Joshuaā€™s work in which he already acknowledges that God guided creation?

We dont have to ban ID topicd ā€¦ we just need to give them their own room!

Thanks for asking. Iā€™m, as I mentioned, working on Futuyma now, and have not read Kenneth Miller. If you have suggestions, please let me know. That said, my point was not that there is a lack of well-written material available. My point was that everyone interested in getting a point across to the public should look at the job that DI is doing, and, in particular Michael Behe as an author. Their mastery of articulation of complex subjects is over the top. They publish books, articles, podcasts and videos that speak to the public in a way that is easily digestible. This is what needs to be emulated. To say that there are well-written materials is not going to change anything in terms of public perception.

As you said earlier, it could be a real sacrifice or departure from the normal way that things are done in this realm. I agree.

I disagree. The article that is the subject of this thread, typical of ID propaganda is a turgid, incoherent mess. I challenge you or anyone else to summarize the main arguments it makes, in such a way that they are clear and convincing.

No, the DI thrives the by the fact that their supporters do not understand the relevant science, and are easily bamboozled by someone with apparent qualifications throwing around a bunch of big numbers and sciencey-sounding jargon. They are reassured that, along with all the science they do not understand, there is apparently some science they also donā€™t understand, but which proves their god exists.

Excellent communicators of science abound, but even when creationists hear them, they are not persuaded. Just look at this forum if you need examples.

I read a bit of Dawkinsā€™ ā€œClimbing Mt. Improbableā€ and thought it was okay, but most of my reading is a bit more technical. Also, I may not be the best judge of how well the author is able to relate science to the lay public. If you do run across a good article or book, I would be interested to hear about it.

1 Like

Okay, but you miss my point.

This may be the case, but their readers comprehend the message that they intend to articulate. Thatā€™s the point Iā€™m making.

But seriously, I donā€™t care to argue. They are doing a superior job with their public relations and if you donā€™t see that, itā€™s part of the problem.

1 Like

That is not my experience. They just understand ā€œGoddiditā€. In my experience, ID supporters can rarely articulate the actual arguments IDā€™ers make.

Unless thatā€™s what you mean by ā€œcomprehend the message.ā€

Again, creationism is not the fault of bad science teaching and communication. Itā€™s the result of bad theology.

ā€œSuperiorā€ in what respect?

Dawkins is well-spoken and articulate. His thoughts in ā€œGod Delusionā€ were well-organized, they were just really weak and not at all compelling. I was happy with that! :slight_smile:

I often cite The Edge of Evolution (Behe) as a great example of how the complex process of evolution can be clearly articulated to the public. It was superbly written and a really fun read. I think that someone like @NLENTS could use it as a template and articulate a very strong message.

How many binding sites have evolved in HIV in real time? Behe says zero.

Beheā€™s book grossly misrepresents evolution.

It helps that they have a more receptive audience who already accepts their conclusion before they write a word. There is also a very obvious culture war aspect to the DI which I consider a detraction, but their audience probably laps it up. The DI has the advantage of only needing to produce a thin veneer of something appearing to be science, and it doesnā€™t have to stand up to any critical analysis.

The problem is that it was incorrectly articulated to the public.

I feel as though you are trying to not comprehend what Iā€™m saying.

John, please donā€™t misunderstand. What Iā€™m speaking about here is not technically-correct information. Iā€™m not the judge of that. Iā€™m talking about the creation of a public relations machine (organization, articles, books, videos, podcasts, etc.) that is doing a bang-up job of articulating its message to the public.

Anyone here can talk all they would like about whether or not the message is wrongā€¦ but does John Q. Public get it? No. Thatā€™s your problem.

Itā€™s not just having one book. And you have to leave open room for those with faith, as many do here. Then you can capture the minds in the way that DI has done.

I realize that.

Two issues:

1. What is an effective means by which people can be reached (the public).
  2. What is an accurate message that can be articulated to the public.
1 Like

Yes, it is very helpful. I bought into it hook, line and sinker, because it made sense and was well-articulated. Then I came here and learned of the weaknesses inherent in the science, data and conclusions. Most of us (Christians) are interested in the truth, not in a lie that supports our worldview. Iā€™m sure thatā€™s a surprise to many here, but it is the truth.

1 Like

Itā€™s not a surprise, but I admit I use an overly wide brush at times. There is something seductive about arguments that agree with something you already believe. Scientists fall into this trap all of the time, so it certainly isnā€™t limited to religious groups.

3 Likes

The issue is trust. That is the missing ingredient.

1 Like

@T_aquaticus Itā€™s healthy to evaluate personal weaknesses and understand how they affect our thinking and opinions. I think that thereā€™s a pride (not a good pride) that comes from thinking that you understand a complex issue that takes others a lifetime to understand. There are many pitfalls for sure.

Absolutely. This is why any organization who forms to work similarly to how DI works has to be accepting of a position of faith, too. Else, as for me with ā€œGod Delusionā€, you write off the information source (Dawkins) from the start, even though his books on general evolution may be helpful.