ENV: Behe and Swamidass Debate Evolution and Intelligent Design at Texas A&M

Expertise in psychiatry would seem to be the most relevant qualification, yes.

I second that question.

In my personal favorite example of foolishness in ID, William Dembski (in Dembski 2005) presents a calculation based on a probability greater than one (1.0). How does a person with an MS in Statistics not know that probabilities cannot be greater than one?

There is much more foolishness in that paper, but it’s rather technical foolishness that most people wouldn’t catch on a casual read.

2 Likes

That’s good. Thanks for pointing it out. Although I didn’t mention Demski, I would have included him in that list.
It didn’t quite address my thought, although admittedly my thought was obscured by my sloppy writing.
You may or may not have noticed that the preceding sentence. I was there, as I have throughout, merely been pointed out how kangaroo court like it is to condemn anyone (not to mention an entire group) as a total imbecile without giving them a hearing.
So, even a guy like myself can pretty much get what you are driving at with your example of Demski presenting “a calculation based on a probability greater than one (1.0).”
But to follow what I said I was suggesting and, giving the accused a hearing, the tell would be to see him respond. I have no idea what he’d say? Have you seen him challenged on it? He may give a surprisingly cogent defense of what he had written, he may dig in and attempt a defense of the indefensible or he may acknowledge he was in error. I echo your,

and therefore doubt that he doesn’t know it.

How is this principle of allowing the accused a defense seemingly so foreign to those here? Admittedly they aren’t here to defend themselves. But I think it should give one pause when (those in my list above) do engage in one on one formats with their opponents and the ones in the list perform well. This Behe/Swamidass debate is a great example. As I’ve suggested I didn’t find an area of actual science where it is clear that Behe disagrees with any science Swamidass asserts. I’ve been challenged on that in a very general way by @AllenWitmerMiller with,

I did take a bunch of screenshots as I watch c/w timestamps so I will go back and make some notes and report back but to make note of things that at least I claim don’t exist reminds me of the judge’s word in this clip from this classic movie,

Seriously. Can’t you guys say anything outside the partisan groupthink?
So if he accused you without evidence of feigned authority you’d genuflect?

Does the propensity to gaslight confirm one’s expertise?

Ability to identify paranoia certainly would seem to be relevant. :roll_eyes:

Nothing is stopping them, of course. Nor is anything stopping someone like you who would like to defend them from doing that.

But you’ve already admitted that you cannot judge the scientific questions at all, so how would you know whether someone performs well? You can only go on rhetorical skill, which is no guide to the merits. Whether someone does well in a debate substantively, as opposed to merely being good at debate, depends on the same thing the value of his books does: whether the points he makes are well supported by the evidence. And so scientists watch clowns like Axe say things, and they roll their eyes, while someone who judges purely on the rhetorical skill of the participants doesn’t know enough to roll his eyes.

Nobody is saying that these fellows don’t know how to do advocacy. The point is that they are unable to make a credible scientific case, and that they say things that are screamingly false, like Axe’s statement about biologists claiming that evolution has stopped. You seem to think that if Axe can do a good job of standing around and saying something that seems vaguely like a defense of that, without turning purple or having his head explode on the way, then, well, who knows whether what he says is true or not, so it’s all up in the air, ain’t it? But that’s not how questions of fact work. Biologists don’t believe what Axe says they believe. It’s a false claim made to a gullible audience. And if he can stand there and fib in a credible tone of voice, it doesn’t do the least bit of good for the truth of the claim.

Nor, of course, does tone-trolling help. If the cdesign proponentsists had a good case on the evidence, there’d be no need for tone trolling. But they don’t, and so things like that are all they’ve got.

Certainly paranoia should not be ruled out, out of hand.
On the other hand one should not overlook the evidence to the contrary.
Why do you give a pass to,

Ah, but did I do that? If so, could you provide the evidence that I did? Or does that just go one way in your books?

I am compelled to point out that you have a habit of providing quotations that have no apparent relevance to the point you are trying to make, nor to the remark with which you preface them.

1 Like

I don’t think you’d recognise evidence if it cracked you over the head with a two-by-four.

I don’t “give a pass to” it – I largely agree to it. I find you to be confused, ill-informed, and a purveyor of conspiracy theories and other rabbit-holes. This makes you a thoroughly-less-than-desirable conversational partner in my opinion.

Whether these are “character or capabilities” or “merits” that suit you to the niche that @Faizal_Ali suggested for you is something I’ll leave others to speculate on.

1 Like

Ouch, that hurts.
You’ve made @Faizal_Ali day though.

I should state that any opinions I might state regarding another person’s motivations, behaviours, etc. should be taken as nothing more than my personal opinions. I am not making a professional assessment of any sort, as that would be unethical, not to say very difficult to do, in a setting such as this and with someone with whom I do not have an ongoing professional relationship.

We are actually a very diverse group, scattered all across the theological and non-theological spectra and representing a great variety of academic fields and professional occupations. I would suggest that the only “groupthink” you are detecting among us is a shared respect for evidence and the Scientific Method.

We react without hesitation to poorly presented philosophy (as in Intelligent Design) being promoted as if it were science.

Do I personally believe that God designed the universe to operate just as we observe it—and that he did so intelligently? Yes. But that doesn’t mean that I think I can formulate a testable and comprehensive scientific Theory of Intelligent Design and publish something that would pass peer review. So my position is a philosophical/theological stance. I don’t pretend that I have an institute in Seattle which has “discovered” a new scientific theory.

6 Likes

Given that the mind would boggle at the idea of somebody being called upon to make a professional assessment of somebody’s suitability-for-the-Eddie-niche, I was under no illusion as to this.

(That is not to say that it doesn’t occur to me that somebody who was sufficiently confused might think otherwise.)

:woman_shrugging:

Certainly. It is, “Did you discuss it with Axe when you met him on Dr. Sean McDowell’s podcast?” For context, the question was posed in the following comment,

And to give a bit of context for that, I have found/find abundant slagging of DI, their members, and their member’s positions. But it is rather easy to criticize anyone when the person you criticize is not around to defend themselves. All of the science is over my head, but I’d still like to know if DI is as incompetent as represented in the comments here or not. It seems to me that the persons being slagged should have opportunity to defend themselves. When I’ve looked to see some of the DI folk in debate with their opponents, they seem to me at least to perform very well. Not what you would expect if you listened to the comments about them on Peaceful Science.
I’ve watched interactions between you and Behe on at least 3 occasions, you and Douglas Axe, you and you and Gunter Bechly. I watched Meyer and Michael Shermer, and David Berlinski and Christopher Hitchens. In each case the DI guy seems to perform well.
I watched the video of you and Behe at Texas A&M again the other day. It was at least the second time I watched it. I recall that after the first watching a year or more ago doubting that you’d made it clear at all what actual science you disagree with Behe on. So I gave it a second listen paying particular attention for those disagreements. That is not to say that I don’t think you arrive at different conclusions, although even those aren’t clear, but on scientific facts that can be demonstrated.
In the debate you mention C.S. Lewis. Let me use Lewis’s description,
“Science works by experiments. It watches how things behave. Every scientific statement in the long run, however complicated it looks, really means something like, ‘I pointed the telescope to such and such a part of the sky at 2:20 a.m. on January 15th and saw so-and-so,’ or, ‘I put some of this stuff in a pot and heated it to such-and-such a temperature and it did so-and-so.’ Do not think I am saying anything against science: I am only saying what its job is.
So, if this is what science is, I feel confident that you, maybe nearly everyone will find it hard to hold the position that Behe, Meyer et al don’t believe in the science, or the data. If anyone is sceptical of actual claims about the data, you merely rerun the experiment with them in attendance. I they fall asleep or look away at a critical moment, no problem, run the experiment again. It is almost beyond the need to discuss that Behe doesn’t believe the data. As I recall, from reading some of his books, he often references Lenski’s E. coli experiment.
I made the comment about your Texas A&M debate with Behe that,

I thought it was sufficiently clear that I was speaking about the instance and content of the debate. Again, I’m interested in having criticisms made where Behe has an immediate opportunity to rebut or clarify. When this happens I think that Behe rebuts successfully. And in some instances, my scientific ignorance is no obstacle. For example, in the debate you ask of James Tour at 1:03:49, “Can you grant me that there are things in science that are not intuitive?” Tour nodds his head that he does grant this. At 1:08:45, you rhetorically ask, “We already know that science is non-intuitive so why would we make an intuitive argument?”
At 1:20:02, Behe also clearly grants your point in your question to James Tour that indeed, “there are things in science that are not intuitive” when he says, “So the point is that, well science might as Josh says discover some counterintuitive things, but some things aren’t counterintuitive and so you can’t just say, oh that’s intuitive so it’s wrong.”
But apparently my point, “that I was speaking about the instance and content of the debate” was insufficiently made or missed as at least one response directed away from the debate to,

I’m certainly open to the idea that Behe has grossly misrepresented the data, but it would seem fair to put the charge to Behe and give him the chance to respond.
Even the moderator seems to have been unaware of what exactly about science you disagree with Behe on. The event is over 80% over and the moderator says at, 1:17:15 “I think we’re kind of getting closer to the heart of the disagreement. It sounds like you’re saying that intuitive properly basic, I see that those gears are amazing and I think that God designed it but that’s not science.”
Is that the extent of it? And would Behe not agree with that?
I can imagine him conceding that. Certainly it coincides with the quote from Lewis above, And similar to what Dr. Henry said here, https://youtu.be/ahcDBTaR3FM?t=245
If science is test tube, and scales, and thermometers, and microscopes, then data (science), "never tells you what to do” nor do I think it will tell you what happened historically.
Anyway if you’ve made it this far that is great, but a yes or no to the original question, (“Did you discuss it with Axe when you met him on Dr. Sean McDowell’s podcast?”) is all I was asking for. And only to give him the opportunity, as I said about Behe, it would seem fair to put the charge to Axe and give him the chance to respond.

I don’t see the slightest hint of openness.

Why do you appear obsessed with turning everything into a debate? Anyone who can look at a table can see this for himself. You are anything but open on this.

Behe’s not going to respond in any substantive way because he clearly misrepresented the polar bear data, he objectively misrepresented the fact that HIV evolved a new, multifunctional protein in real time (he has conceded this online in his most substantive response to date after obfuscating for weeks, but predictably has not corrected the book), and he objectively misrepresented the literature on evolution of the immune system (see the Dover transcripts).

It’s basically what he does for a living.

1 Like

It is absolutely astounding that I’m offered such piffle to respond to.
Of course, it is possible to see no hint of openness when you clip the comment as you have.
In context it looks quite different. Do you eschew all of everyone is entitled to a fair and public hearing

Do you eschew all of everyone is entitled to a fair and public hearing

I am utterly without words.

You haven’t bothered to look at the thread in this forum that documents it in detail. Why not do that first?

Sam, this is science. We go by the data, not public hearings. Do you think that we have debates at scientific meetings or something? In this case, the data are perfectly clear. That’s why you are avoiding them with this endless tapdancing.

It looks the same in context.

Yes. We just look at the data. It’s perfectly clear.

No, you wrote a lot of them, not saying anything of significance.