Five Views on Inerrancy

That answer leaves too many questions unanswered for me. To many continuities over those 70 authors over 1700 years to dismiss without a careful account.

1 Like

Too many discontinuities, inconsistencies, and contradictions over those 70 authors over 1700 years to accept the claim of inerrancy and infallibility about God. People have been doing careful accounts for 2000 years and yet the lack of agreement is astonishing. This lack of agreement has been the cause of a lot of wars, killings, injustices, and intolerance between nations and people from long ago until the present time.

Always good to have you question.

Iā€™d be interested in your reading the portion by Enns in there on the summary. Heā€™s Harvard educated. Itā€™s short. He is not an inerrantist, but calls it ā€œincarnational.ā€ Like Godā€™s word being translated to imperfect body, the Bible is His word translated through imperfect eyes. I think thatā€™s the truest undrestanding, though none of them is perfect. Greg Boyd, in ā€œCross Vision,ā€ says that we have our clearest impression of what God is through Jesusā€™ gift on the Crossā€“a better revelation, as He said. The OT had many mistakes about how they perceived God (as really wanting genocide, etc).

But Swamidass also points out some good things.

3 Likes

I would personally not tell an atheist to read something on the inspiration of scripture if he doesnā€™t believe that God raised Jesus from the dead. Unless thatā€™s a particular issue thatā€™s KEEPING HIM from believing in Jesusā€™ divinity and resurrection.

Sorry to talk about @Patrick like he isnā€™t here! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well, he has a very good point that I have struggled with (and Iā€™m sure we all do) about the genocide. Enns deals with it well, as does Boyd (from Yale, so they have really good credentials!). Not that there arenā€™t other ways, but I personally feel more comfortable with this way.

Iā€™m open to feed back from @Patrick and you too!

3 Likes

I wrote my MDiv thesis on Origen of Alexandriaā€™s interpretation of the genocide in Joshua and then argued in its favor dialoguing with but also agreeing with and SUPPLEMENTING stuff from Kenton Sparks (who basically takes Ennsā€™ and Boydā€™s position).

If you are interested, perhaps I could send you a bit of it. Thereā€™s a lot I would change now about it but it was well received. It got an A from my first reader and an A+ from my second reader, so hopefully thereā€™s some things that might be beneficial for you in it. Maybe send me an email on here?

1 Like

Sure, Iā€™ll PM you. Thanks.

It is really important for atheists to read and study the Bible very carefully. Look at the evidence yourself, read all you can. Look at the history of the cultures and look at the anthropological artifacts. Then you decide what is true and what isnā€™t.

The OT contains a lot of genocide by God. Given that history has shown that a global flood genocide didnā€™t occur 4350 years ago killing all but 8 people, and all animals to two each, the God of Noah looks to be an imaginary God of a fictitious myth story. History has also shown that all genocides were done by people against other people, making God unnecessary in any genocide.

1 Like

From the linked article:

ā€œThe Dead Sea Scrolls are a set of ancient manuscripts of the Hebrew Bible.ā€

https://www.deadseascrolls.org.il/learn-about-the-scrolls/introduction

1 Like

Thereā€™s some discussion on this topic thatā€™s relevant here . It appears thereā€™s good reason to think a lot of that OT genocide was inaccurate translation ā€¦

I think the bible accomplishes exactly what itā€™s meant to in that it makes these stories known throughout the world, but I donā€™t think the term ā€œinerrantā€ can be applied to it. This sets an expectation that I donā€™t think is accurate and can prove misleading.

If the bible were truly inerrant it would in itself be evidence that would undermine belief through faith. So, in that way, I think itā€™s exactly what itā€™s meant to be.

If itā€™s not already apparent, the concept of free will permeates my view extensively, and applies again here. Itā€™s imperative that it be a willful choice to choose God. That that choice not be influenced or coaxed by things like a demonstrably inerrant bible.