Gpuccio: Functional Information Methodology

Let’s be clear on this @art. I’m not sure @gpuccio is really being evasive. I don’t think he has had it laid out to him before. He has not had constructive resistance, for the most part, to his work at UD. I think he is genuinely working this out with us now, not being evasive.

This is a critical point.

Our objection is that this method will detect massive amounts of FI everywhere and has poor false-positive control if we are seeking design. We are demonstrating this with negative controls, which fail on this approach, and these negative controls are being presented both inside and outside biology.

The objections to these controls are making our point. It looks (to me at least) like the objections apply equal well to the original argument by @gpuccio. Until we have a clear, principled approach to these objections, carefully working out why they do not apply to the FI gains at the vertebrate transitions, well until then we have a failure to launch.

This is an entirely separate set of objections than those arising about the validity of the FI calculations being proposed. Both sets of objections need to be resolved.

1 Like