Historical Reports Of Jesus

I would tend to agree with @Tim on this one. I doubt that Jesus would have been notable enough to require informing the Emperor.

1 Like

Well ok but why?He draw a lot of attention to the Gospels.The hole Jewish nation knew him

Eventually, yes. But the Emperor lived about 1500 miles away—across the Mediterranean Sea. Moreover, an itinerant teacher (even one reported to perform miraculous healings) is not necessarily a high priority news item.

1 Like

Those were written much later.

Yes, but as they were in a hole, nobody could hear them.

2 Likes

The Roman Empire was a very large, and ethnically diverse polity. New religious movements were popping up all the time. These would generally have been considered to be matters for the local governor to deal with. The central government would generally only be interested in them if they put taxes at risk (necessary to pay for the central government) or if they raised the risk of rebellion (meaning they might have to send more troops). There is no sign that Christianity threatened on either of these two issues, so the central government would likely have considered them to be a purely local matter.

The Jewish authorities would have been more concerned as they would have seen Jesus and Christianity as undercutting their own authority. From what I’ve read however, Roman opinion of Judaism was, at best, ambivalent (they were seen as trouble-makers – not an unreasonable opinion given events in the decades thereafter), so the Roman authorities probably would not have taken these concerns to heart.

2 Likes

OK, but it wasn’t just the Romans doing the redaction. :wink:

The execution of a wandering preacher is one thing, and I’m not particularly surprised that nobody in Rome seems to have known about it at the time. Far stranger is that if no fewer than 500 people witnessed the same person coming back to life, this astonishing news would not have spread like a wildfire and reach the ears of the Romans. Now there is a story that I’d think even the Emperor might be interested in.

5 Likes

Yes, failing to stay dead when you had been lawfully executed would generally be considered an affront to Roman authority, aggravated by flaunting this disregard in front of crowds. Probably not the sort of thing that a mere provincial governor could be expected to handle, so best left to the emperor (who also happens to be the Pontifex Maximus of the Roman religion, and thus qualified to handle supernatural threats to Roman authority). :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Perhaps. But Palestine was famous (infamous) in those days for its stubborn peoples with their crazy religion and crazy stories, along with “bombastic” claims about their deity, plenty of itinerant teachers, and even a series of revolutionaries. Keep in mind that the Romans even gave the Jews extra leeway for their “craziness” which was not otherwise tolerated among other conquered peoples of the empire. Thus, I’m inclined to think that reports of the resurrection of Jesus would have been casually shrugged off by Roman leaders as just more of the same. Indeed, this probably worked to the advantage of the early church—for a while.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.