Homo sapiens dropping down to zero?!

As @cwhenderson pointed out:

There also seems to be an implication that this is NOT methodologically rigorous natural science. It is almost as if she did not look at the references in the paper.

The keystone reference was in Nature 2004. Would not have been possible to make the case without that study.

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature02842

1 Like

@cwhenderson (@swamidass )

@auntyevology shows every indication of being related to the infamous Eddie. He (or she) is not only demonstrably obnoxious, he/she is always trying to humble his correspondents on odd points of forensic firsts.

Surely, no two differently born humans could be so similar ā€¦

1 Like

Having interacted with Eddie for a very long time, Iā€™m not sure if that is who @auntyevology is. There is a different flavor to it. Also, I think I am on Eddieā€™s good side right now:

After nearly 10 years of reading the writings of American TE/EC leaders, especially those at BioLogos, Iā€™ve come to the conclusion that there is an unwritten code of conduct (probably the product of unconscious consensus rather than conscious collusion) which governs the public behavior of ECs. This code of conduct is rarely breached, at least on BioLogos (though Joshua Swamidassā€™s challenge to BioLogos regarding Adam and Eve provides a refreshing counterexample, and Darrel Falkā€™s principled dispute with Robert Bishop over Stephen Meyerā€™s second book constitutes another), and it could be stated in the form of a rule: ā€œNo EC leader shall directly contradict another EC leader in public, or at least, not in any public setting where ID or creationist people might be listening and taking note of the disagreement.ā€ In my experience, this rule holds about 90% of the time.
Paging Dr. Applegate: Please Call Dr. Haarsma | The Hump of the Camel

Eddies MO, also, is to affirm traditional theology, and the last time we interacted on it, he was very confused about the distinction between genetic and genealogical ancestry. I do not think that is what is going on with @auntyevology.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Kenneth Kemp, Monogenesis, and Polygenesis

George - I know Eddie very well - we have shared a blog for several years, after all. And I would know his style anywhere. Neither Auntieā€™s style nor her content nor her attitude are anything like his, so letā€™s drop that one.

1 Like

@jongarvey

I found @swamidassā€™ input on this topic to be adequate and reassuring.

I find it interesting that you have been sharing a blog. I would have expected your many positive personal traits to have rubbed off on Eddie to a greater extent.

Some of his positive traits have rubbed off on me, for sure.

@jongarvey

Well now it is your turn - - donā€™t you think there is a way to get him to tone down his constant fire-hose of antagonisim?

Should I need to know who Eddie is? Is that the one on the link? If he or she cautions against unitarian universalism, more power to them.

ā€œWell now it is your turnā€

Goading participants to tribalise their arguments, as if there are ā€˜turnsā€™ attacking? This is what @gbrooks9 wants? Why so polarising? Are you hating Roman Catholics while Joshua welcomes their work and insights? Otherwise, whatā€™s up with you, over-reacting guy?

I find @swamidassā€™ contribution here fairly even-handed and constructive. Why you say I am antagonising him? To means it seems you speak too much without listening to others.

Letā€™s cool down a bit. I think a few people have been reacting to @auntyevologyā€™s approach, which certainly does come off as antagonistic towards me, at least at times. Though, over the last couple days, you (@auntyevology) have made some very helpful and constructive comments.

Letā€™s dis-lock horns, and see if we can settle into a constructive pattern all around.

1 Like

@auntyevology

Is English your primary language? I was asking @jongarvey to invoke his turn ā€œto influence Eddieā€ (that sentence had nothing to do with you!)ā€¦ to be less corrosive in his commentaries.

I only offered that comment after Jon explicitly explained that he didnā€™t think you, Aunty, were Eddie with a different profile name.

Perhaps if you read peopleā€™s words more carefully, you wouldnā€™t become so provoked?

@auntyevology,

My good Aunty, I ask you to join us in an alliance to defend the idea that speciation helped produce human kind, with the help of God.

I read your withdrawn post before you were asked to remove it (I assume you were asked).

The conflict you and I seem to be having, is all about how you interpret what people write. For me to have to defend myself for asking Jon to take his turn and help gentle the narrative tone of a person we call Eddie is most ironic.

Because you chose to interpret what I wrote as an invocation that Jon should take a turn at inflicting antagonism upon you. How would a person come to such an interpretation?

Iā€™ll start over again. I ask you to start over again as well.

You donā€™t have to agree to this here in public. But this is my private plan for the two of us. I hope we can cooperate on that plan.

Thank you for your words of reassurance, @swamidass !

So you were advising Jon how to comment on another site with someone who is not here? Slick communications idea.

Please stop with your ā€œprivate plan for the two of usā€. Thatā€™s just creepy.

ā€œjoin us in an allianceā€ - apparently recruiting me against an imagined enemy that I donā€™t share with local George.

It sure doesnā€™t take long. Joshuaā€™s got an ā€˜usā€™-man on his site speaking for him & his new Forum already. Evidently thatā€™s perceived as not a lot of gall to claim for a Unitarian. Hmmā€¦

@auntyevology,

What?

Are you capable of writing a pleasant post? But more importantly, are you not a Christian who supports the Evolutionary explanation for speciation and common descent?

If so, we have much in common.

If not, what exactly is your position on human origin?

ā€œI assumeā€ - @gbrooks9

No, thatā€™s a bad idea. Please stop doing that. Ask politely & maybe you get an answer. Ask like a scholar on a topic I have knowledge about, and thereā€™s a much higher chance you get one. Ask too personal, awkward or indelicate questions and you likely wonā€™t get an answer. Donā€™t expect or try to force, compel or require people into answering you. This is the internet, after all.

Iā€™m done here, thanks.

As any scholar might say under these circumstances: ā€œ@auntyevology, I wish you success and many citations from your next publication! Best wishes to you always!ā€