How do we apply evidence of Common Descent?

Are those the programs that are used for paternity testing?

See what you started! :wink:

1 Like

In other words, (2). All DNA sequences, whatever their composition, are due to descent with modification from a common ancestor.

That looks like a geometry that cannot be tested. Common ancestry is true, come what may.

All my brothers are sisters!

For paternity tests, I believe they use PCR to amplify short tandem repeats and use gel electrophoresis to measure the size of the amplified bands. They then enter the genotype as the size of the DNA and not the sequence. If there are 4 possible alleles at each STR and you have even mixing of STR alleles then you can find just one person out of billions with relatively few STRā€™s. The same logic could also apply to endogenous retroviruses between species where matches between randomly inserted retroviruses could indicate common ancestry.

This thread is one more example of Nathanā€™s observation on Creationist / troll tactics.

If the base is the same at an orthologous position it is considered to be unmodified.

There should also be a phylogenetic signal, and there is.

1 Like

ā€¦and another example appears.

Actually, Dan had a legitimate question and he probably really wants to know. It would help if people could just admit that BLAST is not used for paternity testing.

Thereā€™s a discussion going on here. I donā€™t see how this is helpful at all.

2 Likes

Except when there isnā€™t a signal.

See, for a striking example, the study on mitochondrial DNA by Emilie Richards et al., just published in Systematic Biology, and covered by Jeremy Brown at the 38:00 mark of the talk I linked above.

I have not argued that DNA similarities cannot be used to test for common descent. So this must be about someone else. :slight_smile:

Some disambiguation is needed here: Phylogenetic methods are well grounded in statistics, yes, but that does not mean there are no questions to to resolve about the correctness of data and which models to apply. This is a good talk, but itā€™s discussing issues of statistical model fit, not the general fit of a Tree of Life pattern. These models CAN resolve phylogenetic trees to the extent of statistical power; there may be open questions about which model is correct for given data.
In simpler terms, we have strong resolution for some branches, and less resolution for others. The statistics methods are sound, but we do not yet have good models for all forms of evolution.

1 Like

The data conflicts discussed in Brownā€™s talk raise the question (which he does not address, not surprisingly, given that he accepts the existence of some monophyletic tree as a given) of when a ā€œTree of Lifeā€ pattern would fail. I think most biologists who havenā€™t looked into the matter would be stunned by the conflicts in mitochondrial data revealed in the Richards et al. study.

1 Like

I donā€™t believe that ERVs are used for paternity testing. Are you saying that they are?

Hereā€™s the logic as I see it. If another human shares the same ERVs that I have, that person and I must be cousins. And since humans and chimps share the same ERVs that means humans and chimps are cousins.

If i find the same ERV in a chimp that I find in my cousin, does it follow that the chimp and I are cousins?

I have poked the hornets nest, havenā€™t i? :wink:

I have to step away a while, but I urge everyone to carefully consider your replies, and focus on points of agreement FIRST, with disagreements second. When I get back I may move the less constructive replies to side-comments.

2 Likes

That DNA similarities can be used as evidence for common descent was the only point of the gbrooks9 post you decided to strawman and attack in a whole new thread. But Iā€™m sure your motives were as pure as they always are.

Go easy, @Timothy_Horton. I started this thread because it seemed like a legitimate question which deserved to be rescued from obscurity. It IS interesting too, if we donā€™t use it as an excuse to fight.

2 Likes

Is there a peer reviewed paper we could look at instead of going through hours of videos?

3 Likes

I am saying that the same concepts that apply for STRā€™s in paternity testing apply to shared ERVā€™s among primates.

We can readily observe that cousins and siblings share orthologous ERVā€™s through common ancestry. The same logic would apply to chimps which would be more distantly related cousins.

1 Like