How do we know when our interpretation is wrong?

I think the best rule of thumb is to allow the text to interpret itself, as much as possible. Go with the historical-grammatical hermeneutic. To the best of our ability to understand, what was the author’s intended meaning? And look for how later Bible writers interpreted these earlier texts. That’s why 2 Peter 3 is so important.

It’s as though this video was made specifically for you:

3 Likes

What happens when that method is contradicted by evidence from the creation?

2 Likes

Then you need to question your interpretation of that evidence before you question the Bible.

What is the point of quoting this?

A post was split to a new topic: 2 Peter 3 and the Flood

AND if you’re claiming to take it literally. After all, no two translations are literally the same.

Of course, it’s obvious that your hyper literalism is hyper selective.

I think that if one pontificates as you do, far more literary certainty is called for.

And I notice that you are inserting a whole bunch of interpretation with your judgment of which areas are “fundamental.”

I’m saying that since people disagree on translations (all are interpretations) in good faith, sincere literalism requires reading the text literally–in Hebrew.

This is why you stay so far away from the scientific evidence, preferring hearsay.

When will you point out your essays in which you deal DIRECTLY with evidence?

So that you might read it and see that you’re no different from earlier Christians who opposed heliocentrism.

1 Like

I already know from a previous thread that you don’t know how to apply that word correctly. You claim the firsthand descriptions of bone specimens by the very scientist who studied them are “hearsay”.

If you quote them instead of citing the actual evidence, they are. You are offering only hearsay.

You mean the scientist who described the Alaskan hadrosaur bones as being fossils approx. 70 million years old. Yes. we do accept his word on the matter.

No, firsthand eyewitness testimony is not hearsay. Not in law, and not in science either.

But when YOU offer it in place of actual evidence, it is not firsthand, so it is hearsay coming from YOU.

I’ve never quoted anyone in >40 scientific papers. That’s how it works in science.

AFAIK, only one of my peers has ever quoted me, but he did so in a review to credit me for an analogy he thought was good.

The Bible isn’t firsthand eyewitness testimony.

So you’re saying I’m disqualified from talking about any evidence I have not personally collected?

You’ve never discussed the evidence in your own words here. All you do is keep linking to your non-science YEC apologetic empty claims.

2 Likes

The text says this: 27 So he said to him, “What is your name?” And he said, “Jacob.” This is as clear as the days of creation being twenty-four hours.

So some understand… and yet he is called God and an angel simultaneously… and theologians who author commentaries don’t know what to say about this passage… it’s handled clumsily and awkwardly because one cannot say for certain what, precisely, these things mean. You can suggest that its a theophany. You can suggest it is an angel. You can suggest that it is a mesopotamian river demon. What you cannot do is say, exactly, what this means. By your own words, measure scripture against scripture. When you look at the nature of God, in scripture, God never looks like what wrestled with Jacob… and that is narrative in Genesis!

2 Likes

No, I’m saying that before you make any sweeping scientific claim, that you read the primary scientific literature as we scientists do: the text is an often unnecessary guide to the figures and tables (evidence).

I’m beginning to think that no such essays exist. What are you afraid of, Paul? Where’s your faith?

God also asked Adam “Where are you”; do you think God didn’t know?

What about when God was nailed to a cross?