How Does Biological Evolution Deal With This?

I knew you were going to say this!! But what about a wooden robot??

:rofl:

3 Likes

Absolutely. In the same way that a computational evolutionary algorithm is designed, evolutionary dynamics in the biological domain are, in my opinion, designed.

This does not mean, contra Behe, that evolutionary dynamics are unable to create “irreducible complexity.” This does not mean that evolutionary dynamics cannot create new information. This does not mean evolutionary dynamics cannot avoid genetic entropy in large populations. This does not mean evolutionary dynamics cannot create a new body plan.

My stance is that the creator of the universe created chemistry and physics in such a way that the biology we observe would happen. In that sense, I believe the evolutionary dynamics are designed.

My $.02,
Chris Falter

6 Likes

It helps a lot to be an evolutionary providentialist. Then one can say, “Father creates things for our enjoyment.” :slightly_smiling_face:

I enjoy his providence(!), as demonstrated here. I even enjoyed it with respect to my kidney cancer, too, some may recall. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

What makes you assume that those pigments are proteins?

You wrote,

The only way they can “exist in the genome” in any sense is if they are proteins.

The octopus does it on the fly.

I don’t see what that has to do with my question.

It seems to me that you have a strong tendency to make false assumptions.

2 Likes

If you were to do so a million times and I chose the 5 most leaflike splatters and showed them to you, would you infer that you intended to paint images of leaves, or is the intention in my selection?

Absolutely not. Natural selection isn’t “chance.”

2 Likes

they dont need to be. but im sure that these parts works with proteins and these proteins are needed for that function.

im talking about genentic changes.

Then why did you assume they were?

You had written:

Therefore, it makes a huge difference whether the pigments are proteins. If not, they don’t “exist in the genome” at all.

Are you retracting that claim, or just doing the Gish Gallop?

But if you don’t know if the pigments are proteins or not, you have no idea what genetic (or geneNtic) changes would be involved.

2 Likes

agree. so lets move on to the main part…

forgot the colors. im talking about the the camouflage system itself. if you have seen the movie “predator” im sure that you remember the predator camouflage system and how impressive it was. so here we have something very similar in nature and im sure that we need at least several genes for this system.

You forgot them?

New genes? Not at all. But then, what do I know next to you? I’m just a guy who studied the molecular motors that move and tether the pigment granules for decades.

2 Likes

This is the point that I was making as well. The pattern did not evolve as a leaf on purpose (that is to say, evolution did not intend to make the picture of a torn leaf.) It ended up being selected over time, as the millions of iterations drifted more toward an image that looked like the bug’s surroundings.

Sorry, “chance” was an unfortunate choice of words.

1 Like

https://www.nature.com/news/octopus-genome-holds-clues-to-uncanny-intelligence-1.18177

“Scientists identified six genes for proteins called reflectins, which are expressed in an octopus’s skin. These alter the way light reflects from the octopus, giving the appearance of a different colour — one of several ways that an octopus can disguise itself, along with changing its texture, pattern or brightness.”

so maybe these colors need genes after all. but lets assume that they dont need and lets assume that we dont even need new genes but only changes on existing genes. how many changes are needed for such a system to evolve? even if we assume only 3 changes on 3 different genes it might take a lot of time.

my second problem is what is the chance to such a system will exist in the first place. we know that a camouflage system is evidence for design. so what is the chance that such a sophisticated system will exist in the genome in the first place? even if evolution is true it doesnt change this chance.

FYI
“Origin of the Reflectin Gene and Hierarchical Assembly of Its Protein”
https://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(17)30965-X

4 Likes

No we don’t. We know that, in a very few rare instances, camouflage can be the result of “design”. That is an important difference to appreciate.

You are again starting from faulty assumptions. All we need is a system of some sort that results in colour. There are very few things in the universe that do not have colour. It is a very easy think to achieve, it would seem.

2 Likes

first; they only assume that this protein evolved from a transposon. second: does that transposon has different function? also rememer that we are talking about several such genes and not just one. so how its suppose to evolve stepwise?

in rare cases? are you assuming that all camouflage systems in nature are the result of natural process?

its not just colors but also a system that can control these colors in a second.

No, I am accepting the overwhelming evidence that this is the case.

You stated “we know that a camouflage system is evidence for design.” I have no idea how many examples of camouflage there are among fish, reptiles, birds, insects. mammals, molluscs, etc. etc. But it would not surprise me if it numbered in the hundreds of thousands. The only species in which it can be demonstrated to have arisen thru “design” is H. sapiens. So your claim is not even remotely true.

3 Likes

The insect pictured in the first post in this discussion did not achieve that appearance “in a second.”

1 Like

indeed. im talking about the octopus case. and if such a system need about 3 new specific mutations i see it as a potential problem for a natural process.

There is no problem. Assuming you are correct (Hah!) that this particular trait required those “3 new specific mutations” and they didn’t happen, then this particular trait would not exist. And…?

1 Like

You only call them specific after they happen, which is the Texas Sharpshooter fallacy.

6 Likes

Animals are fine with eating others, but oh no, they sure don’t want to be eaten. All camouflage revolves around either facilitating a meal or avoiding being another’s dinner. Sometimes the strategy is opposite to camouflage. Poisonous animals are often as conspicuous as possible to advertise, make no mistake, this would be your last meal. That avoidance being established, some animals which are not actually poisonous mimic the gaudy coloration of poisonous relatives, and so are left alone. All of this blending in and standing out is solely based on two brutal truths of nature. One, if you are eaten, you are digested and die. Two, if you do not eat, you starve and die.

So my question is, how can you appeal to direct divine purposeful design of appearance, particular to each species, when it serves no other purpose than enabling such a nasty existence?

4 Likes