Howe's Diagram (not really): Round Two

This is what you promised on the last round and it turned out to be apples and oranges. The chart is meaningless without knowing the organisms. You also had no external evidence of common descent but had a better shot due to prokaryotic HGT.

Lets get back to why you think the mechanisms you listed account for the pattern. Can you support it without assuming common descent?

I think you need to take a step back at this point and read Winstons paper. Seeing both sides of an argument objectively is a good thing.

:laughing:

1 Like

Why is that so? You claim to be getting your evidence from the pattern. Why does it matter what names we give to the different circles in the diagram?

That’s word salad again. No idea what you’re actually asking for.

2 Likes

How the animals reproduce is relevant to the pattern. How the animals transfer genetic material is relevant to the pattern. Frequent HGT in bacteria may have been a causal factor in the e coli pattern. Less likely in the vertebrate pattern. Genetic recombination maybe a cause in the vertebrate pattern less likely in the bacterial pattern.

We still don’t know what caused the pattern in e coli at this point.

Sorry, but HGT would only obscure the pattern, not create a false one. (Though in fact HGT is most common among close relatives, so that would tend to resist noise.) And genetic recombination within species would not affect the pattern between species. So none of that is important.

You don’t know. I do. HGT doesn’t create a nested hierarchy.

2 Likes

Let’s look at this duo below:

ezgif.com-gif-maker (2)

Each belongs to one of two different lineages derived from clonal cultures of a single strain of Plasmodium falciparum (Pf) called NF54, a malaria parasite. The lineages are “E5” and “3D7”. NF54 is an isolate from a single malaria patient in the Netherlands.

As the clonal lineages evolved in the lab, they lost and gained genes. For example, after passaging for while, E5 had 62 var genes, but 3D7 has 61. This means E5 gained a new var gene. The researchers figured out the mechanism for this and its, drumrolls, recombination:

Again we see common descent reproducing the Howe diagram pattern. We also observe gene gain and loss. In addition, recombination was found to be the mechanism for the formation of one of the genes in E5.

4 Likes

What you saw was new genes created by recombination in single cell parasites. I have seen this type of recombination in corn.

The Howe Venn diagram is made up of multicellular vertebrates where thousands of unique genes are seen in mice zebra fish chickens and humans.

What is the significance of “multicellular vertebrates”? And do you truly think the genes in question are unique to the species in the diagram?

1 Like

They are not single eukaryotic cells and reproduce differently. The experiment is a different animal with different reproduction. Why would you expect this type of result in vertebrates?

No

Stop saying nonsense. Don’t you know malaria parasites reproduce sexually and asexually? In fact, the paper I got the Venn diagram figured out that recombination that produced the novel var gene was formed during the sexual reproductive stage of the parasite’s life cycle.

Since you are ignorant of the malaria parasite life cycle, this CDC introduction should help you out:

To further hit the point home, you can look at the same Howe-type diagram (fig A) generated for several rice species which are all multicellular, sexually reproducing eukaryotes. The diagram on the right (fig B) shows the lineage-specific gene loss and gene gain events following common descent. So whether we deal with prokaryotes or eukaryotes, we still get the same Howe-type diagram.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1418307111

The nested hierarchy pattern observed in all the Venn diagrams I have shown, and others like Howe’s, echoes an important conclusion: there was common descent, and there were mechanisms like recombination and duplication (see below) that drove the formation of novel genes as lineages diverged. Selection and drift also acted on these changing repertoire of gene families, keeping some and purging the others.

PS: some new genes in the various rice families evolved via duplication and even single amino acid substitutions. For duplications:

For point substitutions

I am done arguing with you Bill. Ciao!

2 Likes

Recombination happens in all life forms and can contribute to the generation of new genes, as I showed in the case of the malaria parasite lineages.

A Howe-type diagram can be constructed for any set of organisms and it will show orthologs and species-specific genes in all cases. There is just nothing special about Howe’s diagram in particular.

2 Likes

What about the difference is relevant to whether we would expect gene gain and/or loss?

Then why did you say so?

2 Likes

The Howe diagram is vertebrates. Its not rice and not eukaryotic parasites. You have done some good research here but it’s not done. You need to show that recombination like this occurs in vertebrates to the extent we can explain the pattern.

This is true but not new news. Can recombination create lungs flight feathers etc? Or were they the result of a separate starting point?

Really? You’re resorting to this?

We’ve been using recombination to map genes in vertebrates for decades. There are literally tens, probably hundreds, of thousands of papers demonstrating vertebrate recombination. I have even authored a few of them.

1 Like

Do you have evidence of recombination creating a new gene in vertebrates?

Yes, we’ve had many of those for decades.

Have you considered learning some basic, nonevolutionary genetics?

1 Like

Flight feathers keeps coming up. Why are you so impressed with them? To me, they look like not so much a problem as rather a prime exhibit of a selectable feature which evolved by way of plenty of intermediate functionality.

3 Likes

And let us remember, which Bill will not, that flight feathers evolved from non-flight feathers, and those from more primitive protofeathers, for quite a while before the stage that Bill is thinking of. Of course, Bill doesn’t believe in common descent of chickens and turkeys, so none of that would work on him. He doesn’t even think that birds are a real group.

3 Likes

Please provide a citation.

Bill,

Such basic knowledge can be found in undergraduate-level genetics textbooks and some high-school level ones. Your request appears to be vapid sealioning.