Hunter: Finally, the Details of How Proteins Evolve

Looks like a new challenger for the position of board sealion. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Sure but they all lead to a functional human being if the process is completed. We can eliminate the darwinian mechanism here as we understand it is a deterministic process that creates a new human.

@colewd, please stay on topic. If you’d like to start a new argument, go start a new topic.

1 Like

Apparently my summary of the experiments I refer to was a bit too confusing. Unfortunately, I don’t know where to start with these questions. They have nothing to do with what I was describing.

I know you understand this subject well as I am a big fan of your paper critiquing Axe but we cannot know if we are comparing apples and oranges unless we compare specific parameters and understand why resistance is obtained easily in application A and not in B.

After thinking about this, I want to commend you for this analysis and agree that getting exactly CH is fantastically improbable.

If we move to a protein analogy we are in a slightly different position unless we ask the question what is the chance of getting the specific protein sequences we are observing by evolutionary processes. Your analysis would work well here.

In the case of observing a functioning protein we don’t know what the process was as we know the process that creates a human. The challenge is understanding the process. If we claim a non deterministic process then we have to estimate if we have the probabilistic resources to accomplish the job. Getting a protein that can do the job we are observing it does.

2 Likes

Please refer to this online article. Scroll down to Fig. 49.13, and replace (in your mind - no need to write on your computer screen) “foreign gene” with the nuclear marker I refer to above. Both the foreign gene and the aadA gene encode antibiotic resistance determinants - we are not talking about the de novo creation of these. What we are talking about is the activation of aadA after transfer of the gene to the nucleus, by capturing (landing near) a nuclear promoter.

1 Like

Is that the right link?

EDIT, never mind, I see now that it is. I was expecting a book-length article and to have to scroll past the first “49.12” figures to find 49.13

What is the process of activating aadA in the nucleus?

@Chris_Falter, you have convinced me that @Cornelius_Hunter could not possibly exist.

3 Likes

:rofl:

By capturing (landing near) a nuclear promoter.

That would be pretty evil.

Like something I very well would do.

So the claim is that there is a relatively high frequency that this type of event occurs? Is there any reason you would not expect this frequency?

It’s not a claim, but an observation. As far as expectations, I suspect that @Paul_Nelson and @Cornelius_Hunter would expect a much, much lower frequency than what is observed.

1 Like

Fair enough. I will see if they comment.

There’s a point to be made about the phenomenon of pervasive transcription. Even if a gene doesn’t land exactly downstream of some strong promoter, a low “noisy” level of expression of a strongly advantageous gene could be enough to give a slight survival advantage in freezing water to have a non-neglible effect on reproductive success over 3 million years, for the promoter region to subsequently evolve into a more “canonical” promoter sequence.

Yona AH, Alm EJ, Gore J. Random sequences rapidly evolve into de novo
promoters. Nat Commun. 2018 Apr 18;9(1):1530. DOI: 10.1038/s41467-018-04026-w

2 Likes

Glad to see you are beginning to understand the scientific problems with evolution.

1 Like

I am very familiar with what you feel are insurmountable problems for the theory of evolution. Unfortunately, you seem to have completely missed @Chris_Falter’s point.

As I recall you used to completely disprove evolutionary theory at least twice a month over on your tiny blog. At least you claimed to have done so. Strangely enough the rest of the scientific community never got the memo. They just keep on doing evolutionary based research and producing valuable results as if your shrill Creationist protests never existed. :slightly_smiling_face: