ID is correct either way?

What evidence do you have that Intelligence is a halting oracle. This appears to be false.

And we are all intelligent, because we eventually die (halt).

(sarcasm).

If intelligence creates mutual information, then it has to be a halting oracle. Just a process of elimination from Levinā€™s proof.

So all physical processes in the universe are either Turing machines or halting oracles? Those are the only options?

This is just false @EricMH. If Intelligence is a halting oracle, I should be able to show you arbitrary code, and you would be able to tell me from studying it with 100% accuracy if it halts or not. You cannot do this.

You are also equivocating MI of the specific narrow kind of which Levin means, with MI of any type. This is not valid. We have gone over this several times.

You are making a false dilemma out of this.

Well, either that or youā€™re wrong about whatā€™s possible under chance+determinism. We know at least one process by which functional DNA is generated: somatic hypermutation in B-cells. Where does vitalism fit in when we have a mechanistic explanation for the process?

2 Likes

A number of these are the Anthropomorphic Fallacy.

I am not saying DNA is computer code as written by a human programmer. I am saying DNA is morphological to the input tape a Turing machine operates on.

Nothing changes the dynamics of a Turing machine by adding an oracle. Only exception is if the oracle can do something non-Turing reducible.

This is the anthropic fallacy. Iā€™m not talking about human written code.

Nothing inherently about a tape makes it fail catastrophically when mutated.

Making a computer analog does not increase its power beyond a Turing machine.

And Iā€™m informing you that your model of living systems is inadequate. Organisms do not in any way follow this pattern. That is entirely clear. You did not know this?

Not at all. Iā€™m referring to @colewd, who is talking about human written code. All what I wrote is a valid response to him.

The point of my argument is that with either alternative ID is correct.

@EricMH,

This is the most brash statement you have ever made. The only way this can be true is if you limit Godā€™s power to govern.

Are you getting a little too desperate to prove your I.D. stance?

Is death a halting oracle?

Can you explain what you mean here? This seems incorrect to me so it must mean something other than what Iā€™m assuming it means.

This reminds me a bit of some of the ten laws of intelligent design/creationism.

Perhaps to @glipsnortā€™s comment:

I can cite law #3:
Anything found in nature was Designed, unless it can be reproduced in the lab. Corollary: Anything intentionally done in a lab is not natural; itā€™s a purposeful result. Therefore, all lab results are evidence of Intelligent Design.

2 Likes

@pevaquark

As humorous as your point is, the Position of Peaceful Science is that We Accept, by Faith, that the Universe is full of the Teleology of Godā€¦ but that no science can definitively detect Godā€™s Teleology.