Is Abiogenesis an hypothesis in distress?

Exactly. That is 100% true. That means we do not know how the first life arose. If you feel the need to believe God directly created the first cell, that is certainly reasonable, even though it is unattested to in Scripture (unlike e.g. the de novo creation of Adam). Nothing in science disputes that belief. Science is silent on God’s action. This is one of those mysterious places in origins were maybe God acted.

That is quite a bit of common ground. It might go down hill from there…

As you may know, I’m friends with Dr. Tour. I’m pretty sure you are misreading him. He wrote this too, you know:

Pascal further writes in his Pensees 429 ,

This is what I see that troubles me: Nature has nothing to offer me that does not give rise to doubt and anxiety; if there is a God supporting nature, she should unequivocally proclaim him, and that, if the signs in nature are deceptive, they should be completely erased; that nature should say all or nothing so that I could see what course I ought to follow.

Though 350 years since Pascal penned his dilemma, as a modern-day scientist, I do not know how to prove ID using my most sophisticated of analytical tools.

An Axiom or a Hypothesis?

If Tour can’t prove ID, what makes you think you can? I think one reason is that you’ve missed a critical point about what abiogenesis is. It is not a hypothesis, it is an axiom. Science looks at different hypothesis of abiogenesis, and weights between them, but it does not consider things other than abiogenesis.

So without any doubt, abiogenesis is certainly not a hypothesis in distress, because it is not a hypothesis. It is an axiom. And it might be an incorrect axiom, but its all that science has because it does not consider God’s action. Methodological Naturalism, So Falsely Called. That doesn’t mean it is correct, but science is limited here.

As @anon46279830 puts it…

I’m not sure how they can do it either. Neither can Jim Tour. Neither can Perry Marshall.

Perry Marshall

A good friend of mine and @sygarte’s is mentioned.

Sadly, he is wrong on his facts. Biological information is not software code and does not require a communication system. Nonetheless, it is worth noting Perry Marshall has gone through a transformation (as I understand it) from ID to believing that this actually can be solved by natural processes.

How is that clear? Perry doesn’t agree with you.

The Ironic Parable

I don’t know Ron, Jim Tour has been clear that Intelligence can’t create life. He has a parable:

THE WORLD’S BEST synthetic chemists, biochemists, and evolutionary biologists have combined forces to form a team—a dream team in two quite distinct senses of the word. Money is no object. They have at their disposal the most advanced analytical facilities, the complete scientific literature, synthetic and natural coupling agents, and all the reagents their hearts might desire. Carbohydrates, lipids, amino acids, and nucleic acids are stored in their laboratories in a state of 100% enantiomeric purity.

Would the dream team—please—assemble a living system?

Take your time, folks, take a few billion years.

Nothing? Well, well, well.

Let us assume that all the building blocks of life, and not just their precursors, have been made to a high degrees of purity, including homochirality where applicable—the carbohydrates, the amino acids, the nucleic acids, and the lipids. They are stored in cool caves, away from sunlight, and away from oxygen. These molecules are indifferent to environmental degradation.

And let us further assume that they are all stored in one comfortable corner of the earth, not separated by thousands of kilometers or on different planets.

And that they all exist not just in the same square kilometer, but in neighboring pools where they can conveniently and somehow selectively mix with each other as needed.

Now what? How does the dream team assemble them without enzymes?

Very well. Give the dream team polymerized forms: polypeptides, all the enzymes they desire, the polysaccharides, DNA and RNA in any sequence, cleanly assembled.

Ready now?

Apparently not.

I entirely agree with him. Human intelligence cannot assemble life. That seems like pretty solid evidence that life does not appear designed, right? We cannot even create life with the best of our intelligence. It does not appear designed by any created being.

To be clear, God did design it, but we are not at all sure how. The way He makes things is very different than the way we make things. Which brings us right back to our common ground:

If you feel the need to believe God directly created the first cell, that is certainly reasonable. Nothing in science unsettles that belief.

3 Likes