Is there a difference between evolution and materialism?

Me too, and I agree completely.

1 Like

@T_aquaticus Sorry I was unclear. If you had already gotten to the point where you could add EDTA then you were already in aqueous solution, you already had your protein. I meant if you never made it to the aqueous phase–for example, if your protein was only soluble in acid.

It’s a good thing Ann doesn’t work with RNA.

1 Like

Acid is aqueous, so I’m not sure what you are getting at. Pepsin has a pH optimum under 2.0, so is it not a functional protein? If I am reading it correctly, beta-lactamase activity was tested for at a pH of 7.4 in wells with bound phage. So there was activity at near neutral pH.

2 Likes

Note, the discussion on catalytic antibodies is important, and should be split soon by @moderators into its own thread.

My favorite grad-school applicant interview question to assess lab savvy is, "You’ve got two tubes. One has DNA, the other RNA. You accidentally spill both on the bench top. Which one(s) would you try to salvage, and why?

@Agauger, this seems to be an important point. I have not read the paper closely yet (sorry), but there seems to be a disagreement on the material facts here that should be fairly easy to resolve. You argued that these clones did not have activity in solution after being separated from the phage proteins. I’m not sure why that matters, but @art and @T_aquaticus is saying that they did have activity in solution. Do you dispute this still?

@Agauger

For what it is worth, there is a soluble antibody produced by living cells that has beta-lactamase activity:

2 Likes

It would be so much easier to have a civil discussion without gamesmanship and point scoring and accusations. I already apologized for the error in your paper as I recall. That was an unpleasant experience, mainly because no one would give a straight answer. And I was badgered and sneered at and mocked,

So bringing up here is not exactly helpful.

What is your purpose? Is it to humiliate me?

Or is it to persuade me?

You are unlikely to get both.

1 Like

I’m bringing it up because you’re making a similar tactical mistake today. You’re trying to push against a mountain of evidence by holding up a few words.

@mercer I agree with @Agauger on this. The myosin conversation is done. I don’t think it is fair to keep bothering her on it. Please back off that.

This seems to be an even more important point, and I’m confident that there are many more.

The competing hypotheses, (hopefully) clarified:

Catalytic antibodies are structurally constrained and must function in the context of the immunoglobulin (Ig) fold.

If their prevalence is representative of the prevalence of function in sequence space, if we experimentally release them from that constraint by adding random sequence on each end, at the end of several selection cycles we should observe that enzymatic activities are significantly greater than those of the parent catalytic antibodies that were selected as antibodies.

If their prevalence is not representative of the prevalence of function in sequence space, if we experimentally release them from that constraint by adding random sequence on each end, at the end of several selection cycles we should observe that enzymatic activities are the same or lower than those of the parent catalytic antibodies that were selected as antibodies.

@T_aquaticus, granted pepsin is optimized for very acidic conditions. But most proteins aren’t. And I wasn’t talking about beta lactamase or the phage display papers.

A post was split to a new topic: The Design Meta-Scientific Hypothesis