James Tour and the Origin of Life

It is as far from true as anything can be.

Just one example:

https://www.evolutionarymodel.com/ervs.htm#:~:text=A%20powerful%20source%20of%20evidence,layers%20that%20corroborate%20one%20another.

1 Like

I’m seeing a lot of tit-for-tat comments. Please slow down and try to offer more substantial discussion … or is it just time to close comments?

I’m holding off on some comments approval is case anyone would like to edit? (hint)

/fnord

1 Like

Sorry I read you as using a double-negative, but you used a triple-negative. An eyewitness account doesn’t mean someone wrote it down while talking to Jesus. It means that the person is reporting those who saw it or they saw it themselves. It’s basically comparable to journalism done by interviewing witnesses.

See the new thread I started. How Much of DNA is Functional? - Peaceful Science

Could I have the original article? I missed it if it was linked.

Swamidass linked it above in this post:
https://discourse.peacefulscience.org/t/a-new-chemical-tree-of-the-origins-of-life/12017/188

That’s precisely what I mean by hearsay!

Why don’t you appear to have any interest if learning that the things you repeat are true–even if you are repeating them correctly?

This part is particularly inane. “Junk DNA” has never, ever, been defined as “intergenic regions” or as “noncoding.”

2 Likes

Speaking of too much tit-for-tat and damaging one’s credibility, you have claimed that Rumraket has made untruthful statements. That would seem to call for concrete cases of untruthfulness, not complaints about tone.

3 Likes

Speir is proclaiming that in the age of Google street-view.

2 Likes

There was no tit for tat. I did not state @rumraket made untruthful statements. I said he was contemptuous, which means disrespectful. I insinuated, in fact, that much of what he said was true, not false.

An accomplished scientist who deliberately misrepresents OOL research along with basics of evolutionary biology like Tour does deserves to be talked about contemptuously. It doesn’t matter how nice a guy you think he is. Tour brings the harsh criticisms on himself by his actions.

2 Likes

You can make harsh criticism that are not contempous.

1 Like

It’s possible to ‘play the ball and not the man’: to critique the ideas without critiquing the person.

Worth remembering for all of us, and as ever, three fingers pointing back at myself.

IMHO learned people who make deliberately false statements about science to push their own religious agenda deserve to be held in contempt.

2 Likes

There’s a big difference in someone who isn’t scientifically knowledgeable and who sincerely believes what he says vs. someone like Tour, an accomplished scientist who knows better and has no excuse for making the ridiculous false statements about evolutionary biology he has.

1 Like

You wrote:

You wrote that what he said was untrue, which means untruthful.

2 Likes

Is that what you claim Tour is doing?

Fair enough. I edited out “untrue”.

No it is not. In fact, he himself has apologized for some mistakes he has made in his exchange with Sostack.

Yet the video with Tour’s misrepresentation of Szostak’s work is still up on YouTube in its original form. Tour offered a backhanded “notpology” only for calling Szostak a liar but didn’t change a thing in the video.

4 Likes