Jonathan Bartlett: Measuring Active Information in Biological Systems

I would suggest reading the current empirical literature on the subject.

Your citations of the literature are far too old and only consider the products of SMH after selection.

They wrote that 18 or 19 years ago, man. They weren’t looking at the actual mutations before selection. They couldn’t. Now we can, and you are ignoring those data.

That’s why the ages, in addition to the tiny numbers, of the papers you cite give you away.

That’s simply not true.

The mutations occur in selective places, including hundreds of genes where they are not needed. We know that from sequencing before selection, which wasn’t done in 2002. People have since microdissected B-cells from germinal centers, before selection, and done single-cell genome sequencing.

Have you forgotten that you asked for quantitative papers and that I supplied one, free full text available, from 2018?

It appears that you either didn’t read it or didn’t understand it.

Let’s look at Figure 1, panel A:

Just to be as generous and basic as possible, I’ll point out that the numbers and bars around the circular graph represent chromosomes and the red bars represent mutations.

So, Jonathan, what is the relative frequency of Ig variable region mutations relative to other sites in the genome before selection, according to the data graphed above?

I should add that this was predicted given the characteristics of mutations in B-cell lymphomas, but we only knew that because lymphomas are also the products of positive selection. Therefore, the interpretation that followed your grudging admission that lymphomas also occur was not merely sneaking in teleology, but completely wrong.

You simply can’t look at sequences after selection and credibly claim that you are looking at sequences before selection.

4 Likes