Looking for sources on the information argument

Good, I can work with that. You seem to be OK with the concept of Relative information.

Do you really mean to say that the functional information cannot change at all? (increase or decrease). You must know that is wrong.

The Helder article did not evaluate sponges for optimal form, they evaluated them for load bearing capacity (and mechanical stability).

Load bearing capacity is a function we can evaluate for functional information as defined by Hazen.
I ( Ex ) = −log2[ F ( E x)], where F() is a measure of load bearing capacity. Optimal Functional Information is then the configuration Ex that maximizes F().

I propose there are many configurations of silica that would provide greater structural strength, with the simplest being a solid lump of silica. Therefore the Glass sponge does not exhibit optimal functional information in this respect.
I’m using the definitions you provided, and it’s pretty clear the FI has not been maximized. If you have a way apply Hazen’s FI to demonstrate optimal function information, I would be curious to see your math.

it doesn’t seem anathema to me to say that an optimal phenotype (here the sponge architecture) involves an optimal genotype representing optimal functional information

Now you are saying (I think) that the Glass sponge is optimal for the function of being a Glass sponge, and there is no better way of being a Glass sponge by this definition. Here I will agree with you - but it’s trivial. ALL things are optimal at being what they are.

Again correct, by virtue of having defined the question so that you must be correct. You may be aware of the ID claim that design does not need to be optimal. Summing up, if it’s optimal it’s designed, and if it’s not optimal that is designed too.

5 Likes