Mallinson: An LCMS Lutheran Review of the GAE

And Galileo’s opponents thought God’s word indicates that the sun orbits the earth. As always, we return to the question of how you can determine whether or not you are interpreting the Bible correctly.

1 Like

I like it.

Do you think he would read my book? What would he think of it? What would he think of Mallinson’s review?

Quite possibly he would. At the very least, the review makes it intriguing and worth considering. It definitely helps smooth the way, especially how Mallinson describes your approach to the subject with empathy, grace, and an invitation to explore the possibility. As to exactly what he’d think, I’m can’t be sure but I think him curious and thoughtful enough to listen.

How about forwarding it to him and let us know.

Being a heathen is not heresy. :grin:

2 Likes

That’s the plan.

1 Like

Other things could be added to the list, like the solar system being geocentric and the earth being stationary.

Am I the only one who became confused for a few seconds trying to figure out what liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry had to do with Lutheranism?

6 Likes

It still amazes me that well meaning Christians would adopt a position that demolishes the credibility of the Bible. If the credibility of the Bible rests on 150 years of well supported science being wrong, then the credibility of the Bible is going to lose, and badly.

1 Like

Well intentioned post @T_aquaticus, but that is “how not to persuade” some one like @J.E.S.

1 Like

Perhaps you are right, but there are times when it is difficult to mince words. BioLogos may have the soft touch that I lack at the moment:

2 Likes

Ultimately, I don’t believe that the Bible depends on science for its credibility.

2 Likes

Then how do you handle situations where your views of the Bible say one thing and mountains of scientific evidence say another?

I also can’t help but echo the sentiments of Dr. Francis Collins:

3 Likes

Or if you want some with a higher reputation in Christian circles, Augustine recognised that the principle that empirical observation trumps biblical interpretation.

1 Like

There are so many articles like this.

And yet there are still Christians, even on this forum, who cannot accept Christian responsibility for the decline of Christianity in the US.

3 Likes

Then why all of the apologetics?

1 Like

If LCMS results contradict the Bible, it’s a problem for LCMS? :grin:

1 Like

Lutherans tend to be skeptical apologetics.

1 Like