Meaning and Purpose Among the Nones

A better way to put it is that there is no extrinsic purpose. However, you can decide for yourself what your ultimate purpose is.

Why not? Because you can define an ultimate purpose for your own life and find justice within human society.

1 Like

That’s a fair description. I am only giving my own view as a None, and I certainly don’t expect it to be universal.

2 Likes

You can’t make anyone do that, so ‘why not’ still stands.

Extrinsic or intrinsic, ‘I don’t see a purpose and I have a thousand rounds.’

Nothing is stopping someone from defining an ultimate purpose for their lives outside of formalized religions. On top of that, normally functioning humans have empathy for their fellow human beings which usually prevents us from harming one another needlessly.

Given how this isn’t happening on a regular basis points to the fact that people do find purpose in their lives.

Nothing is forcing them to, either.

How old are you and where are you? It’s happening on a way more regular basis than it used to, at least in the U.S.!

Nones make up about 25% of the US population, so about 75 million people. How many of those people are involved in mass shootings? If not having an extrinsic ultimate purpose defined by a formalized religion leads to gunning people down, then why isn’t it happening a lot more than it is?

Hop in your time machine and visit the Roman Colosseum, ca. 100 AD, or maybe early Scotland or Ireland when Vikings were around. How about Ruanda or the Congo, or Papua New Guinea, more recently, or Myanmar.

If you weren’t a christian and were an atheist, would you start shooting people randomly?

Because we haven’t gone as far as we will have from the principles of the Founding Fathers – not all Christians, but certainly many were. “Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” - John Adams

I might if I were a bullied ninth grader.

Speaking of non sequiturs, that is one. I’m sure most Vikings or Celtic warriors didn’t question their ‘normality’.

There are a lot of atheists and Nones in other countries, and no rampant mass shootings.

That’s a bit scary.

The folks they invaded and pillaged probably did.

This whole conversation is completely meaningless. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

This,

diverts and does not answer this:

Yeah, school is scarier than it used to be.

Given the chance, they would have returned the favor.

The answer is that it doesn’t happen regularly. Take a look at how many people there are and how many mass shootings occur.