Methinks it is sort-of like two weasels

I’ve wondered for some time, but could you explain why you’re talking about orbs here?

You really have no idea how multi-locus, quantitative characters work. You need to stop digging.

3 Likes

But you actively choose to be ignorant of the most basic biology and genetics, Lee.

I can’t think of any size, from that of the whole organism to the smallest intracellular organelle (most are orbs and I’ve changed some experimentally), that isn’t an emergent property influenced by many genes.

You are taking predictions by your ID hypothesis and treating them as facts instead of testing them against reality.

Skepticism fueled by aggressive ignorance is not convincing.

That makes zero sense genetically. Quantitative traits have never been observed to evolve instantly; there’s a lot of math that supports that.

Nice try at deflection. You were denying that such an explanation exists, remember? Your opinion of its validity is irrelevant to that point.

1 Like

That response conclusively settles that you have absolutely no idea how developmental biology works. Most traits are highly polygenic, and most genes are also pleiotropic.

3 Likes

Which also falsifies the vague ID hypothesis that Lee is beginning with; even if he refuses to state it, he is using it to predict how developmental biology (and cell biology, and biochemistry, and population genetics) must work.

Most scientists start with evidence.

2 Likes

I’m still talking about evolution of the eye.

But existing variation could include multi-locus characters…

That’s kind of my point.

I have seen the explanations, and am not satisfied with them. But Matzke’s explanation is being discussed in another thread.

Well, as I said, existing variation could be polygenic, etc.

How many different eye “designs” are there in biology? Why would you use the singular article?

It definitely does, and you definitely have no idea how they work.

The validity of any skepticism about how something could evolve is dependent on understanding how it works in real time. You have no such understanding; the assumptions you are making are actually predictions of your design hypothesis. Their falsehood falsifies your design hypothesis.

No, it isn’t.

Again, you denied that any existed. Your satisfaction with them is irrelevant to whether they exist or not.

Yes, but you don’t incorporate that into any coherent understanding of how they work evolutionarily.

Then it is just all the more mysterious why you don’t seem to understand that morphological evolution of a structure like the eye could result from a large amount of existing variation of quantitative characters.

2 Likes

So why use the term “orb”? It seems highly idiosyncratic.

Again, you have no idea, and it seems to have been useless to try to explain it to you. One problem is that you seem to think you already understand it, and a second problem is that you pay no attention to the explanations.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.