Mutations and New information

It’s a yes or no question.

Then how do creationists explain why humans and chimps look different if it isn’t due to the differences in our genomes?

To simplify only a little, the evidence that convinces biologists is similarities between humans and the chimps, but which are differences between them and other apes.

1 Like

I thought similarity just meant “Common Designer”? Do you guys not believe that anymore?

2 Likes

As far as I can tell, neither can possibly convince you. The human genome differs from the chimpanzee genome by around 40 million mutations (35 million point mutations, 5 million indels and other rare events). This rest is the same, for around 98.8% similarity. Was that convincing?

1 Like

By definition, descent with modification is evolution, so modification is a requirement to be able to say evolution has taken place. If there were no differences all species would be identical, and it’d all just one big population of clones.

It is the patterns in the similarities and differences that tell us how and when evolution occurred. That tells us what is most closely related to what, and what changes occurred in each individual species as they diverged from their common ancestors.

2 Likes

That is correct, a new configuration has occurred. We might say the new word has “function” in language, but that’s not a great analogy for biology.

He has? I’m not aware of any standing restrictions. We did rather beat the topic into the ground a while back tho.

I didn’t come across Josh’s proscription so I’ll add: (5) Functional information, where the function is fitness, is by far the best of these. It measures how small a proportion of all genotypes are as good as, or better than, this genotype. -log2 of that is the number of bits.
There is in principle no barrier to how much of it can accumulate by natural selection. That of course does need energy and does increase entropy.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.