New Genomic Study of Placenta Finds Deep Links to Cancer

No.

Selection would be stronger in the embryo than in the placenta.

1 Like

Why would that be the case?

Itā€™s a hypothesis, signaled by my inclusion of ā€œwould.ā€

This is how actual scientists converse, Valerie. The next step is to talk about the experiments one might do to test the hypothesis, that fun part of science.

Thereā€™s already a lot of sorting going on within the blastocyst, as only a small part of it actually becomes the embryoā€“the part from which we can isolate embryonic stem cells. Most of the blastocyst ends up as extraembryonic structures.

Itā€™s a good question. I think one big reason (maybe the biggest) is that the embryo is expected to be much less tolerant of aberrant cells, because the embryo has the task of creating an organism. (Whereas the placenta is a big blob with a relatively straightforward set of roles. I hope placenta fans donā€™t get too upset by these comments.) Aneuploid cells show distorted gene expression and (as shown in a paper posted earlier in this thread) reduced growth overall. The reasoning, if Iā€™m not mistaken, is that we donā€™t see many of those in embryos because embryos donā€™t get very far carrying aneuploid cells. @Mercer can expand or correct me if he has something else in mind.

2 Likes

Sure, but would you call that sorting? Are the various cells in the blastocyst arguing among themselves about which ones get to be part of the embryo? Are they sorting by karyotype? Or is it dependent on location? I really am not getting your selection scenario here.

I would suggest that much of it is just a raceā€“if you look at the issues with the DS fibroblasts in that PNAS paper, aneuploid cells would be less likely to contribute, just on the basis of the metabolic demands for rapid division.

Of course, this is a gross oversimplification layered over the complexity of what is already known about sorting in the early embryo, for example:

https://www.pnas.org/content/107/14/6364

But arenā€™t placenta cells also undergoing rapid division?

That happens later, after the inner cell mass (the embryo itself) has been separated from the extraembryonic structures.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.