New Jeanson Book: Traced Human DNA's Big Surprise

As there has been a pause in conversation, and as @dsterncardinale’s video review isn’t going to be out for a few days yet, I thought I’d loop back to an issue both RonSewell and I have touched on – that, in Ron’s words, “there is plenty of archeological evidence which is completely independent of radiometric dating that these remains represent people from well before historic times.”

It turns out that one of the most well-documented pre-historic R1bs, is one that Ron has already mentioned – the skeleton known as Villabruna 1 (found in Sovramonte, in NE Italy) – which even has its own section in Wikipedia, as well as nearly one hundred scientific articles about it, e.g.:

The Late Upper Paleolithic skeleton Villabruna 1 (Italy):
a source of data on biology and behavior of a
14.000 year-old hunter

The skeleton was laid extended and supine in a narrow and shallow (30-40 cm) pit, the head reclined to the left and the upper limbs extended at the side. Six grave goods, most probably originally contained in a bag were recovered from the left side of the skeleton. They include what has been proposed as the equipment for a Paleolithic hunter: a flint knife, a flint nucleus, a stone used as a hammer, a flint blade, a bone point and a pellet made of ochre and propolis (Cattani, 1993). Atop the burial were found several calcareous stones, some of which exhibit well-defined drawings painted in red ochre. According to the discoverers, the stones were placed to mark the burial location (Broglio, 1992, 1998). Six vertical bands painted in red ochre, which were discovered on the walls of the rock shelter jutting above the burial, may have served an analogous purpose.

I would like to ask Valerie, @thoughtful, which she thinks more likely:

1. that this burial dates back to the Stone Age (whether we use a YEC, or a consensus-science, dating for that age);

2. that a Stone-Age culture continued to exist in this (highly contested) area, without being noticed or disturbed by the Cisalpine Gauls, the Romans, the Lombards, the Franks, the Holy Roman Empire, the Venetians, etc, etc, but purely coincidentally managed to interbreed with a recent influx of R1b in the last two millennia; or

3. that the hundreds of expert archeologists, who have written about and/or peer-reviewed the evidence all misidentified a Medieval burial as Stone Age?

5 Likes