Omicron spike protein should be impossible, according to DI's Brian Miller

Mostly dead implies a significant reduction in viral fitness given the crucial function of this protein to the lifecycle of the virus. There’s no evidence it has suffered any reduction in fitness. On the contrary. Omicron is rising in frequency, and rapidly outcompeting the delta variant. It would be very odd if it was accomplishing this with a protein that falls apart much more frequently due to destabilizing mutations, than it’s delta-variant competitors.

Now the broader context of Brian Miller’s talk is his attempt to try to debunk the reality that proteins can evolve to change functions, such that one protein performing some function A can be mutated and co-opted to perform a different function B (in the video talk he casts this in the context of the flagellum filament protein flagellin evolving from a protein with a different function than being a filament). He is quite clearly arguing that this can’t happen, since apparently he appears to think the accumulation of mutations in some pre-flagellin protein would render it nonfunctional long before it acquires the ability to function as a flagellin.

So I’m just left wondering here. When is the spike protein going to fully fall apart? Why do we have so much evidence of many other proteins diverging, and having already diverged, from their common ancestors, well beyond the sorts of limitations(be that 3-10 total mutations, or ~10% of total protein sequence) Brian Miller is misreading his references to imply?

I must repeat what I wrote in this thread:

6 Likes