On the current usage of the term "creationist" as applied to ID

I didn’t say you did.

Which fits ID, which is typically anti-evolutionary as you have yourself acknowledged.

I am talking about both, because I am addressing your claims about both.

But ID is typically anti-evolutionary, as you have acknowledged.

You are not addressing what I wrote. I wrote “ID people presented it as just another version of creationism”. That statement is not falsified by whatever Behe and Denton have or have not done. For someone who supposedly studied logic at university, you don’t seem very good at it.

So I will say it again; ID people have presented ID as just another version of creationism. In fact they took a book on creationism, and replaced every instance of “creationism” with “Intelligent Design”, and every instance of “creationist” with “Intelligent Design proponent”. This proves they believed the two positions were equivalent.

If you don’t want to be called a creationist, we could call you an ID creationist, or perhaps a “cdesignproponentist”.

1 Like

Why can’t you be intellectually honest enough to simply say:

"You are right, Eddie. Not all ID proponents are creationists, and Eugenie Scott and the NCSE were morally wrong to represent all ID proponents as such. All claims that IDers are creationist should be accompanied by a qualifier, e.g., ‘Most IDers are creationists.’ "

and

“If ID were inherently creationist, then Discovery, being an ID organization, would never have published four books by Michael Denton, and highlighted his work in numerous podcasts and interviews. It must be the case, then, that within ID as a theory there is room for acceptance of evolution.”

and

“ID argumentation does not require acceptance of the truth of Genesis or any other revealed book.”

That fact that you can’t bring yourself to make these admissions, when you know that these admissions are all that I’m asking for, says a lot about your own personal motivations.

Can you be intellectually honest enough to say that ID people took a book on creationism, and replaced every instance of “creationism” with “Intelligent Design”, and every instance of “creationist” with “Intelligent Design proponent”?

I am perfectly happy to say that this is theoretically possible.

You’ll need to show me very clearly what you mean by this, because you’ve been very vague and elusive on this point in the past.

I can’t say that because it’s a logical fallacy; specifically a non sequitur (you really aren’t good with logic). Meanwhile, can you point to an official definition of ID which says something like “The belief that life was the product of an intelligent designer, either through evolution or through an as yet undiscovered mechanism”?

I have already addressed this previously; it’s irrelevant to the point being made. I am perfectly happy to say this, but it doesn’t address the point under discussion. It’s your attempt to change the subject.

Surely you’re not judging my motivations are you? Surely you’re not doing that thing that you complain about when you think other people are doing it to you?

1 Like

I know I said I was bowing out of this discussion, but I’m going back on my word because I think your statement below helps specify the nature of our disagreement:

What should have been clear is that we are disagreeing over the definition of the word “evolution” as much as over the word “creationism.” I would disagree when you say that Miller and Behe both accept evolution. Rather, their point of agreement is over the narrower issue of common descent. And, if you look thru the argument you have been making, it has been premised on the assumption that acceptance of common descent is sufficient to define a person as one who accepts evolution. That is part of your argument that I have been disputing, though perhaps not as explicitly as I should have been, and therefore your entire line of argument is based on a question that has been begged.

So, to be clear: I believe that acceptance of common ancestry is necessary, but not sufficient, grounds to define a viewpoint as “evolution.”

OTOH, you accept that Behe is arguing for “Design”, and this is a necessary aspect of the ideology of creationism. I hope you will agree that one cannot be considered a creationist if one does not believe that aspects of the universe are the result of design by an intelligent being.

However, design is not and never has been part of the definition of “evolution.” If you disagree, I suggest you repeat your attempt at a philological assessment and search out instances in which the term “evolution” has been used in a scientific context to refer to ideas that entail “design.”

My position is that, by virtue of his insistence on “design” as part of his idea, Behe is firmly established as part of the creationist ideology, and not at all as part of the scientific discussion that goes on about the theory of evolution. And this is reflected in the response his ideas have received. Behe has been widely and enthusiastically embraced by the creationist community, despite his acceptance of common descent. On the other hand, to the point his ideas have been acknowledged at all by the scientific community, they have been all but universally dismissed, when they are not openly mocked and ridiculed. This includes members of his own faculty. Whereas if any of the hardcore YEC members of the Discovery Institute have taken Behe to task over his embrace of common descent, it would be news to me.

So my definition of the term “evolution” and “creationism” is an attempt to reflect this reality. Your redefinition on the terms, OTOH, is a thinly veiled attempt to insinuate that Behe is part of the serious, scholarly, scientific discussion regarding evolution. You attempt to suggest that the disagreement between Miller and Behe over “design” is no different than, say, the disagreement between two evolutionary biologists over whether speciation is predominantly sympatric or allopatric.

IOW, my definition is an honest attempt to have words better reflect the reality they are trying to represent, and yours is a dishonest attempt to misuse language to make a polemic argument.

3 Likes

Nice. This is why we have people such as Behe, who accept common descent (which the Disco Institute hates), but who also claims some kind of “design” and who makes arguments opposing the modern evolutionary synthesis (which the Disco Institute loves), being claimed as IDers. IDers such as the Disco Institute claim him for their side because of his usefulness in opposing evolution.

1 Like

I don’t know if they think it thru that well. They also embrace outright YEC goofballs like John Sanford. I think they are just smitten by anyone with an actual science degree.

2 Likes

I wasn’t intending it as a formal logical argument, so your criticism is irrelevant. There is such a thing as “common sense”, and your mechanical mode of reasoning (black/white, on/off) fails to pick it up. On the view that Discovery is anti-evolution, it would not make sense for Discovery to so strongly highlight the work of Denton, even if doing so would not contradict any rule of logic.

Dead wrong. It is very relevant. One of the two key elements in my definition of creationism is acceptance of Genesis (and the Bible generally) and basing arguments about nature on Genesis. Since ID proponents don’t do that, they are lacking one of the two key elements of creationism. And since some ID proponents are evolutionists, ID cannot be said to uniformly exhibit the other key element, which is anti-evolutionism.

I’ve been razor-sharp and direct. And I even highlighted a quotation where Behe directly addresses Eugenie Scott’s misuse of the label “creationist” regarding himself. The fact that you don’t read or understand clear and explicit statements that are right in front of your eyes is not my problem.

An official definition is not necessary, as long as ID proponents indicate clearly that common descent is a possible position for an ID proponent – as they have done many times. I have many times provided Discovery statements (if not here, then on BioLogos, when you were present) indicating that ID does not preclude acceptance of common descent. You pretend that such statements don’t exist, so either you haven’t read them, or you are willfully blocking them out. But here is one for you:

“Does this mean that proponents of intelligent
design are committed to species being suddenly or
specially created from scratch, with all evolutionary
change taking place subsequent to such special
creations and limited strictly to small-scale, within-species
change? No. Intelligent design is compatible
with the creationist idea of species being suddenly
created from scratch. But it is also compatible with
the Darwinian idea of new species arising from old
through successive generations of offspring gradually
diverging from a parental type, or what Darwin
called “descent with modification.” What separates
intelligent design from materialistic accounts of
evolution is not whether organisms evolved, but
what was responsible for their evolution—purely
material mechanisms or the activity of intelligence.”

Dembski and Wells, The Design of Life, General Notes CD, p. 24

And here is another:

“I first need to make clear that living things can be the product both of intelligent design and of common descent. If the designer chose to guide the process of gradual change from species to species, that would be both common descent and intelligent design. In other words, intelligent design theory does not require that common descent is false.”

Ann Gauger, Evolution News and Views, Nov. 1, 2018, at:

And here is still another:

"As those of us at Discovery Institute have emphasized for a long time, intelligent design is not incompatible with the idea that living things share a common ancestor. In other words, one can believe that nature displays evidence of intentional design, and still believe in common descent.

"Indeed, I would argue that one of the forebears of the modern intelligent design movement is none other than Alfred Russel Wallace, who is credited with Darwin as co-discoverer of the theory of evolution by natural selection. Wallace believed that nature displayed powerful evidence of design by an overruling intelligence. Today, Discovery Institute has a number of affiliated scholars who similarly affirm the idea of common descent, including biologist Michael Behe and geneticist Michael Denton. Denton makes his views clear in his book Evolution: Still a Theory in Crisis, which Discovery Institute Press published earlier this year.

“Of course, we have other affiliated scholars who are strongly critical of universal common descent, the claim that all living things are descended from one original primordial organism. I think that our diversity on this issue is a good thing.”

John West (top man at Discovery), Evolution News and Views, May 14, 2016

I could multiply these almost at will, but these examples, from top people at Discovery and in the ID community, are more than sufficient to establish the point that one can accept evolutionary change and still be an ID proponent.

I have no doubt that you will try to do some sophisticated word-twisting to make out that these statements don’t mean what they would appear to mean to any normal user of the English language, but people who aren’t partisans will, after reading them, grant that Discovery and ID theory allow for acceptance of common descent from a single ancestor, that ID theory is not in principle anti-evolution, even though many individual ID theorists do reject evolution. And in any case, if I wished I could drown you in more statements, and then you would have to explain all those away, too. But it’s not worth my time to do more than this. I’m not writing these examples for you, anyway, since I know from years of experience that you are too partisan ever to to withdraw a point; I’m writing them for others here who have open minds, and are willing to let ID proponents speak for themselves, rather than through the filter of partisans like you.

2 Likes

Why can’t you be intellectually honest enough to simply say:

“Yes guys, I was wrong. The term Creationist has a much broader meaning than just a strict literal Genesis believer. ID as presented by the Discovery Institute is indeed a form of creation since the premise is the Christian God used supernatural powers to directly intervene and create the biological entities we see today”

But admitting you were wrong would be a brand new experience for you.

2 Likes

Common descent =/= evolution.

HTH

1 Like

It doesn’t matter if you were intending it as a “formal” logical argument or not. This is what you said.

1. Premise: If ID were inherently creationist, then Discovery, being an ID organization, would never have published four books by Michael Denton, and highlighted his work in numerous podcasts and interviews.
  2. Conclusion: It must be the case, then, that within ID as a theory there is room for acceptance of evolution.

It’s very clear that’s a standard if/then couple, and the conclusion is intended to proceed logically from the premise. However the conclusion does not proceed logically from the premise. You were asking me to consent to a statement which is illogical. Feel free of course to claim that you were making a non-logical (or illogical), argument.

Of course it makes sense for Discovery to “so strongly highlight the work of Denton”, because his work specifically argues against the modern evolutionary synthesis as an explanation for what that synthesis seeks to explain. And the Disco Institute is indeed anti-evolution. It’s virtually all they write.

Your definition of creation. Sorry, no one else has to accept your definition of creation, especially when it’s personally motivated.

More vague handwaving without any specifics; “I once said something, somewhere”.

Sorry, your sleight of hand hasn’t gone unnoticed; you’ve removed “evolution” and replaced it with “common descent”.

Completely false. You are changing the subject. The issue is evolution, not common descent.

So I ask again, can you point to an official definition of ID which says something like “The belief that life was the product of an intelligent designer, either through evolution or through an as yet undiscovered mechanism”?

1 Like

There’s your big blunder in bold right there. No one is required to use your narrow definition of the term. ID-Creationism is a perfectly valid description of the political movement pushed by the DI and its followers. Since you aren’t the Word Police no matter how much you bellyache your opinion on this topic carries zero weight.

1 Like

Faizal Ali:

At least you are now trying to define words clearly, as opposed to just taking arbitrary definitions for granted, so I will clarify my terminology.

The term “evolution” has been given many definitions, by different people. Not long ago, on BioLogos, there was a long discussion, in which many evolutionary theorists participated, about the pros and cons of various definitions; many felt that no one definition on the table was fully adequate. Part of the problem is that evolution can be considered (1) as an externally observable [or inferrable] process of change or (2) as a set of proposed mechanisms which purport to explain that change.

Darwin did not, early on, use the term “evolution” to describe the process. (He later adopted it, when he saw that the world had done so.) He termed the process “descent with modification.” Common ancestry, the branching out of lines, the formations of new taxonomic groups – all of that came under “descent with modification.” But he also discussed causes of the process, and allowed several, the most important of which was natural selection (acting on variation).

I had a private conversation with Joshua a couple of years ago, and he agreed with me at the time that “descent with modification” was still an acceptable definition of evolution. He did not mean that evolutionary theory was exhausted by that definition; he did not mean that evolutionary theory does not consider causes; but he did agree with me that amidst all the differences among evolutionary theorists regarding mechanisms and their weighting, “descent with modification” was the thing they all held in common. I believe that once or twice here Joshua has also publicly allowed “descent with modification” as one acceptable definition of evolution, but if he has changed his mind, he can say so.

Anyhow, when I use the term “evolution,” I mean “descent with modification” – I mean the process which according to all versions of evolutionary theory generates all species out of simple, one-celled ancestors. (I reserve the special term “chemical evolution” when I speak of the origin of life from non-life, but that does not concern us here.)

When I say that Miller and Behe both accept “evolution,” I mean that they both accept descent with modification, and the full extent of descent with modification – going all the way back to the simplest ancestors. In contrast, creationists, where they allow descent with modification at all, typically limit it to variation within “kinds”, almost never allowing any change beyond the level of “family.”

No, that is not what I attempt. I agree that the disagreements between Behe and Miller over the how of evolutionary change are deeper and more significant than the example you give. I’m not minimizing the degree of disagreement. However, I am stressing that both accept evolution, where the emphasis is on the process of descent with modification. Such agreement would be impossible between Ken Miller and a creationist. This is what you are failing to acknowledge. Would you acknowledge it now, that the difference between Behe and Miller is significantly less than the difference between Ken Ham and Miller?

Yes, but the way you use this point is illegitimate. It is important to get straight which is the contained set, and which is the containing set. All creationists must necessarily accept some form of intelligent design; but not all those who accept intelligent design are necessarily creationists. Do you know how to use Venn diagrams? Using a Venn diagram, you should draw a larger circle labelled “intelligent design,” and then a smaller circle inside that larger circle, labelled, “creationism.” Inside the inner circle, you would put names such as “Jonathan Wells” and “Paul Nelson”; inside the larger circle, but outside the inner circle, you would put names such as “Michael Behe” and “Michael Denton.” Then you would have the relationship between the two conceptions correct.

Ken Ham and other creationists have criticized Behe, Denton, and others who try to combine design with evolution. I remember an article by Ham where he went through Behe, Denton, and others, raising objections, but I can’t find it now.

In any case, creationists have been openly critical of aspects of ID theory and argumentation:

See also:

“One reason Answers is not very excited about the Intelligent Design movement is that ID’s main argument—that the world is, well, “intelligently designed”—fails to reference the God of the Bible and the Curse’s impact on a once-perfect world.”

In this passage, we see that the main creationist website, Answers in Genesis, criticized ID for not making reference to the Bible, and for not accepting YEC’s interpretation of the Fall. So there is a good example for you of creationists indicating that ID and creationism are not the same thing.

As I have detailed above, equally problematic is @Eddie’s defintion of “evolution” as “The belief in common ancestry, even if accompanied by the belief that God had to magically poof things into existence in order to create the life forms that actually exist.”

1 Like

As I demonstrated, historically and empirically, it isn’t “my” definition. I picked it up from general historical usage over the past century. I’m following general usage, and Faizal Ali isn’t. That’s the communications problem here.

The challenge now before you, in case you have not noticed, is to support your contention that the common usage of the term “evolution” in science refers to a belief that entails “design.” This was a premise of your entire line of argument that was never defended. So, of you go now.

1 Like

Eddie’s major way or arguing seems to try and define terms to only carry his cherry-picked narrow meaning. Maybe that works for him in some venues when he can bluster and bully other posters but it sure isn’t working here. There’s also the fact he claims to be an expert in Logic but still makes elementary logic blunders. Just because all literal Genesis believers are Creationists doesn’t mean all Creationists aren’t literal Genesis believers.

1 Like

Well yes, it is one narrow definition you cherry picked out of many just to try and score cheap rhetorical points. You didn’t fool anyone and ended up looking quite intellectually dishonest in the process.

1 Like

I never contended for any such thing. You are reading me poorly. I never said anything at all about what “the common usage of the term ‘evolution’ in science” was. I did provide a study demonstrating what the common usage of the term “creationism” was. The whole point of my objection, days or weeks ago (I can no longer remember) was that you were misusing the term “creationism” by equating ID with creationism, and that this misuse followed the demagogic example of Eugenie Scott and the NCSE.

I certainly do not think that most scientists who accept evolution believe that evolution entails design. Quite the opposite. Most scientists who accept evolution think that evolution explains the origin of living things quite economically without any reference to design. And some of them believe that evolution disproves the existence of design. You are imputing to me views that I’ve never offered.

Sorry, when did Ken Ham join the Discovery Institute?

1 Like

Psst…hey Eddie…here’s a hint:

The same word can have different meanings depending on the context in which it is used. It doesn’t matter if there is a “common” usage.

You’re welcome. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like