Politics megathread

There is an obvious reason to put snipers and drones on the Arc de Trompe. It is to defend it against terrorists who attack it in order to destroy our society. You know, “communists”: young people who approach it with a can of spray paint with the intent of writing rude things on its lower surfaces. Which would obviously destroy our nation, unless they are killed immediately.

3 Likes

How do the snipers know who the dangerous communist vandals are? Do they shoot everybody under thirty approaching the arch, or just the scruffy-looking ones?

2 Likes

Skin colour and accent?

1 Like

So Lee Harvey Oswald would be perfectly safe from being targeted? :rofl:

1 Like

Sure, but there could be sympathizers.

1 Like

Trump and Beijing are already telling very different stories about how the talks in Washington are going so far. It’s a classic case of He said, Xi said.

6 Likes

Given both Trump’s, and the CCP’s, extremely loose relationship with the truth, I think we don’t have a snowball’s chance in hell of ever working out what was actually said in the room. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Considering that ASI “artificial superintelligence” is already a standard term in computer science, I wondered what Lenin-like renamings of common terms Trump might try next.

Well, I didn’t have to wait long. Today, Donald Trump issued additional executive orders:

Quantum computers will henceforth be known as "mega-brain math cubes.

A long, record-breaking, extended naval duty tour in the Iran war will from this day forward be called a “Hermuz cruise.”

“Inflation” will be called “the greatest price enhancements, like nobody has ever seen before.”

“Photosynthesis” will be called magical leaf power.

Einstein’s Theory of Relativity will be called “fast-slow time rules.”

The National Debt will be known as “the Prosperity & Freedom Ledger.”

The monthly Social Security pension checks/direct-deposits will be known as Trump Bonus Bonanzas.

1 Like

Don’t forget that Ozempic has for some time been known as the Fat.Shot.Drug.

1 Like

Considering Trump’s past mocking of Governor Christie, I think he would call it “the Sloppy Chris Christie Fat Shot.”

1 Like

Here is an ad for Steve Hilton, the GOP candidate in the California gubernatorial election. Can anyone explain what the intended message is here, because I can’t figure it out. Is this a play for the LGBTQ vote? Or what?

https://youtu.be/LGrG_zcVjjQ

2 Likes

I genuinely have no idea what that ad was supposed to communicate about Steve Hilton.

To me it feels like a ‘soft’ attempt to distance Hilton from all the Republican/Trumpian chaos in the public mind, without Hilton actually having to do the work of actually forging a different path. Probably some marketing flak’s idea.

I think it is meant to communicate that Hilton is, in some unspecified (and likely false) way, unthreatening.

I think it is saying that even if everyone around you is voting for the Democrat, it’s okay, and maybe even thrilling, to vote for the Republican.