Prebiotic chemistry: Stable majorities

Also, Bill, Eigen’s error catastrophe has nothing to do with any “harsh environment”.

As usual you’re just brainslessly saying stuff. You don’t even know what the words you use mean. It’s ridiculous.

It occurs to me you think the pop-sci article in the op is what we’re talking about. It isn’t, I’m talking about the paper it is based on which you can access here for free:

So you are claiming that the environment does not constantly cause DNA mutations? This is the reality of Eigen’s paradox. You need error correction to sustain a self replicating organism. How does an organism survive without it?

No, I’m claiming Eigen’s paradox is a problem regardless of what is physically causing mutations. Which you would know if you have ever read anything about it, other than creationistic bullshit propaganda that presents it as conclusive proof against the origin of life.

This is the reality of Eigen’s paradox.

No, it isn’t. Eigen’s paradox describes a problem where if the rate of mutation is equal to or higher than the length of the sequence being replicated, then there will be information loss. Whatever it is that is causing the mutations is completely irrelevant. No “harsh environment” is considered at all.

You need error correction to sustain a self replicating organism.

Apparently you don’t.

How does an organism survive without it?

Read the paper. Read Eigen and Schuster’s 1978 book chapter on hypercycles.

Stop making these assumptions Rum.

I do not think origin of life will never be explained. I just think the simple to complex model is broken. The other reality is that there are most likely several disconnected origin events including the origin of the eukaryotic cell.

It is much more likely that the prokaryotic cell is a devolved eukaryotic cell.

These ideas are discounted because of the simple to complex model.

Really. Based on what experiment?

The experiment performed by the people who wrote the paper which is being presented in the pop-sci article in the OP. The one you claim to have read.

You are trying to show that a demonstration of a plane flying at 100 ft shows it can fly to Mars. This is conundrum of evolution. The claims are way beyond the evidence. This is why it is more ideology than science.

Sequences are not living self replicating organisms.

Nobody is claiming they are. They’re not claiming to have solved the origin of life. They are claiming to have done experiments that show how, among other things, the error catastrophe problem could be overcome even before something we would recognize as cells had evolved.

Ok. As usual we have common ground. My claim is that the simple to complex model is broken because of the massive chicken and egg problems around origins. The need for error correction is only one example.