Racism and God's Chosen People

Assuming you are right, define racism. If you take the bible’s idea of being a chosen people to mean racism, then you are sorely mistaken, Patrick. Yeah, Patrick. In the bible, God chose the israelites not because of their greatness, but despite the lack of it.
The word Israel refers to their forefather, whose name was oroginally Jacob, which means cheater, a cheat, and he most certainly was. God dave him a new name, and a new identity, one which relies not on any inherent greatness, but on trust in God.
God chooses the worst kind of people in this world, and then straightens them out, just like he did with me.

In the posts in this string, you do not appear very freethinking but set in an opinion unwilling to discuss. You appear to be confusing God’s judgment and racism, the acts to which you are referring are clearly judgment. I do not recall the people of Israel asking God to destroy all the people who are not part of the covenant, but God did instruct the people of Israel to carry out His judgment from time to time. At any time, anyone who turned away from idols and to God did not see his judgment, but His blessing. Ruth and Rahab are by faith blessed by God and became part of the genealogy of Jesus.

Jonah’s mission was to show the Ninevites the way of the Lord. They were not part of the covenant, they were actually an enemy of Israel, which is why Jonah went the other way when God commanded him to go to Ninevah. The entire story is about God’s command to love your enemy. This appears to break your model.

God chose the Israelities and then killed, destroyed, enslaved, other people because they were NOT God’s chosen people. That is the very definition of racism, genocide, and slavery. And God’s word has been used to condone racism, genocide and slavery for millennium.

The worst kind of people? Explain this? I thought all people were made prefect in his image?
Sin is imaginary and all humans, including you are not wicked nor evil nor sinful nor unworthy.

1 Like

I read about God as you do. I do not see a loving and caring God but a wrathful, jealous God who kills, causes injury, harms innocent people including children. God is not about loving your enemy but to kill your enemy, enslave your enemy, take their woman and children. Are you reading the same bible as I am?

1 Like

Sorry, but that doesn’t make sense. Before there were any chosen people, there was Abraham. And God made a promise to Abraham that in him All of the nations of the world would be blessed.
It was also Abraham to whom God told that the people of the land who used to live there would be removed once their sins reached a certain level ergo no racism. God also told Moses that the same exact thing would happen to the israelites; if they did the same things as the people who used to live there, they would also get removed from the land, and that’s exactly what happened. The only favouritism that I can detect is that God would always leave a remnant of his chosen people, but that too is done for His sake, and not for theirs. It’s an undeserved favour.

Don’t even go there with Abraham. Here is a man who was going to kill his son because of voices in his head. Abraham is not a good role model on parenting.

There is absolutely no evidence that Abraham nor Moses actually existed. They are fictional characters in fictional stories. And the stories by today’s secular humanistic standards are immoral, genocidal, intolerant, unjust, and evil.

1 Like

If sin is imaginary, then why are you so hellbent on pointing them out.
Look, you can’t even prove your point about racism, that’ why you keep pointing out all of the other sins, that God and his people are supposedly guilty of.

Because you are hellbend on telling people that they are sinful, evil and unworthy. And you use examples such as Abraham to show this evilness. The Old Testament has no place in modern secular society. It is evil, intolerant, unjust, and it belongs as a testament of long gone era of slavery and genocide. Stop pretending that there is goodness in the Old testament. There is not. The bible is inherently racist and has been used for racism for thousands of years.

1 Like

Can’t have an intelligent conversation with the point of contention being undefined and the proof remaining inaccessible. Is secular really all that better? I don’t really care, it’s off topic anyway.

Racism is a social construct. Some people regard other people as inferior. If you ask me it all comes from 7th century arabia. Until then, the concept of “black slavery” didn’t even exist yet.

If you care about racism at all, you should be Furious with those Damn Brasilians

Alas, you don’t. It’s an excuse to help spread your idea of a secular society.