Randomness and Theology

You “rounding up” to another number, equally empirically unsupported, is no more a demonstration of anything than Axe’s provenly false one.

This is actually straightforwardly false. Stability is not the only factor affecting protein fitness, and using an artificially selected unstable protein enzyme synthetically inflates it’s sensitivity to mutation.

Ahh see, there we have it, you’ve performed the switch Axe was hoping for. You’ve jumped from temperature sensitivity to “functionality”, but functionality is also contributed to by activity, and you can have highly stable yet weakly active enzymes, just like you can have unstable but highly active enzymes:

Axe was NOT measuring what you think he was. And by the way, the base of the hill is fitness, not “functionality”. Thus Axe should have measured the fitness-effect of enzymes in organisms under conditions of competitive growth at the lowest antibiotic level that measurably affects fitness, not their ability to form visible colonies on plates containing the MIC.

Another thing, the things that matters is the function, not the particular fold that employs that function. There multiple different, completely unrelated enzymes known capable of catalyzing the hydrolysis of beta-lactam antibiotics, thus extrapolating how rare functional variants of a particular fold is, says nothing about how many other folds capable of performing the same function, exist in protein sequence space.

Why have creationists not realized this themselves? Why is it necessary to have someone like me explain this to them?

No it has not, I have debunked that nonsense in this post here.

Brian Miller is straightforwardly misrepresenting the articles he is citing by completely neglecting the effect of purifying selection when mutations accumulate in proteins over time.

But thanks for bringing that presentation to my attention. I see I wrote that rebuttal to Brian Miller in February of 2019, and he has done NOTHING to correct his misapprehensions - despite previously having directly received correction here on this forum - when he did that talk on 30 of May 2019. He since posted that video on October of 2019, still with zero indication of having received correction.

This is why I consider ID-creationist “scientists” dishonest charlatans and pseudo-scientists.
Oh by the way, that entire presentation by Brian Miller is bad. Holy hell Batman that presentation is bad. SUPER bad. One could spend a month unpacking every misleading statement made there.

4 Likes