REAL NS is a problem for common descent, fitness peaks, in Eukaryotic evolution

John Harshman disagrees. I wonder which of you I should believe?

The same techniques can be applied. What we will be looking at is the statistical support for those trees. That’s the difference.

You can put any set of objects into a phylogeny, but the real test is the amount of phylogenetic signal that can be found in that tree. If there are numerous and obvious violations of the tree, depending on the character used, then there is very little phylogenetic signal. Phylogenetic signal is a measurement of how well those objects fit into a tree, and it is that measurement you need to make.

You have already stated that you will not accept any evidence for common descent, so your claims ring quite hollow. You are also wrong. The method does not assume common descent. You can arrange any set of objects into a tree, even those that don’t share common descent. What matters is the measured phylogenetic signal. In the case of known genealogical processes and known genetic relationships, they return very high measurements.

3 Likes

My example with the cars was an attempt to illustrate the concept of phyogenetic signal in a simplified manner. I hope it was accurate enough.

Based on what predictive model?

Based on the observation that gene gains and losses happen, that there is a tree of descent, and that gains and losses happen at particular places on that tree, and that if gene loss is stochastic, there will be occasional multiple losses of the same gene.

Now, what predictive model tells you to expect the pattern of gain and loss frequencies shown in that figure?

5 Likes

The model that a mind was behind the pattern we are observing. Re use of components is a design pattern. This is the model Winston will be building as the gene and protein data bases mature.

You cannot model non deterministic events. This is why the grand claims of evolution will never be a scientific theory until you find a deterministic mechanism. That mechanism is between your ears. Matter itself and its properties cannot explain the pattern.

thats the point- it doesnt necessarily looks like common descent. he can just create groups of animals: reptiles, mammals etc.

Quantum physicists across the world just facepalmed in unison.

You will never gain credibility if you repeatedly play dumb after being shown these mechanisms over and over and over.

2 Likes

Sorry, Bill, that isn’t a model. It makes no predictions. Why, under that model, should patterns requiring one change on the standard tree so greatly outnumber patterns requiring two changes? Why is the fit to the standard tree so good?

I’ll inform all the people who simulate stochastic processes that everything they do is invalid, then. Good to know.

3 Likes

Romanes said it best:

What you are pushing is superstition.

2 Likes

It’s not a good fit. It’s a fit in your imagination. You have no model of how convergence occurs. The evidence is overwhelming that a mind was involved in the pattern. You can arbitrarily rule out design but this is not going to last,

Physics will soon hit the same wall as biology has with the observation of translated sequences. Why not lead and really acknowledge what you are observing?

its very simple: we see it in designed objects all the time. we can find the same engine in different cars but not in others or the same gps etc. but in general we do see hierarchy.

how much? where is the limit that common descent cant explain?

But do those losses follow the same tree in your model? You need to show that.

The model is natural selection, mutation, speciation, and vertical inheritance. How many times have we stated this?

You arbitrarily rule out design all of the time, and for the same reasons. When you observe the planets moving about the Sun you rule out gravity fairies pushing them in their path because we have a natural mechanism that explains the motion.

3 Likes

And he also could not. If he did not deliberately set out to create all “kinds” such that they look exactly as if they evolved from common ancestors to each other, there is essentially zero chance he would have done so just by chance.

So the options are 1) common ancestry is true. 2) God deliberately created a universe in which common ancestry would be the correct scientific conclusion from the evidence.

Those are your options. Either one leads to the conclusion that according to science common ancestry is true.

2 Likes

These are not models. Real models can show how the prediction works. Dawkins built a model. The problem was that it required design to work. I have explained this to you many times :slight_smile:

This is a false assertion. You need to move on.

Wrong. The assertion is correct. If you disagree, please provide the evidence to support your claim.

Is it again time for us to ask you to provide the model that explains how living things were “designed”, so you can yet again fail to provide an answer?

1 Like

That’s exactly what the model does. You ignore it every time it is given.

If you want a real, living example of the model at work, I suggest you go to my thread on rock pocket mice:

It shows how convergence works. Read the abstract of the paper linked in the opening post.

2 Likes

[quote=“Faizal_Ali, post:158, topic:8218”]
Wrong. The assertion is correct. If you disagree, please provide the evidence to support your claim.
[/quote
]Zebrafish Genome Found Strikingly Similar to Humans | Genetics | Sci-News.com