Research Programs and Religion

Yes, but my beliefs say the Earth is unique. Therefore, why would I go against my own beliefs and endorse public money being spent on that when we could cure a disease? I would rather help the sick.

That’s quite different. All of the universe praises God; increased knowledge is increased amazement of how God made the world.

Proverbs 18

An intelligent heart acquires knowledge,
and the ear of the wise seeks knowledge.
16 A man’s gift makes room for him
and brings him before the great.
17 The one who states his case first seems right,
until the other comes and examines him.

Last verse sounds like science, doesn’t it? :grinning:

What I’m describing is more of a judgment call about a moral choice about what kind of science to invest in. If there were no limits, sure, go check for other life. When God makes all things new, there will be no limits to exploration or knowledge.

God considers is it to be good to ask for wisdom and knowledge.

2 Chronicles 1

In that night God appeared to Solomon, and said to him, “Ask what I shall give you.” 8 And Solomon said to God, “You have shown great and steadfast love to David my father, and have made me king in his place. 9 O Lord God, let your word to David my father be now fulfilled, for you have made me king over a people as numerous as the dust of the earth. 10 Give me now wisdom and knowledge to go out and come in before this people, for who can govern this people of yours, which is so great?” 11 God answered Solomon, “Because this was in your heart, and you have not asked for possessions, wealth, honor, or the life of those who hate you, and have not even asked for long life, but have asked for wisdom and knowledge for yourself that you may govern my people over whom I have made you king,