Robert Shedinger: Religion, Science and Evolution: Confessions of a Darwin Skeptic

Sorry, but the question wasn’t about Jim Caviezel, but about Jesus. If Orson Wells plays Charles Foster Kane, you can’t say that Charles Foster Kane was in the movie.

Isn’t that X played Y in a movie a single “degree of separation” between the two?

Interestingly enough, Bacon is very far from the most connected actor in Hollywood. In fact, he is only ranked #543. I was a bit surprised to find who was #1. I would have guessed Michael Caine. Also worth noting is how male-dominated the list is.

The Centre of the Hollywood Universe

2 Likes

Indeed. Probably due to the fact that men’s careers tend to last longer as many women only remain prominent while young. I’m astonished, though, that Katharine Hepburn isn’t on that list and am wondering if the database for it is biased toward newer material – though such people as Trevor Howard are in there, so maybe not.

1 Like

I met Trevor Howard once.

Cool! What a great actor. In looking over his films I’m surprised how late he was still working – I mostly think of him as a 1940s-50s film star.

On this, as it happens, I had the good luck this morning to have reason to meet and have coffee with a paleo grad student at the UW who is working on her dissertation about the evolution of the ears of mammals and other synapsids. I told her about Shedinger’s assertion and she assured me that if I need “documented evidence” of this I need only call her and I will have more of it than I can possibly read.

It’s literally one of the best-attested major transitions in the fossil record. Only someone who thinks the ossicles are in the inner ear could disagree.

1 Like

Indeed. But Shedinger does assure us that he is conversant with the science of evolutionary biology, so perhaps he has that right and absolutely every biologist, everywhere, has it wrong.

1 Like

It was 48 years ago. I was working in a pub/restaurant by Ragley Hall which was a location for a film being shot , “11 Harrow House”. He came in quite often with his wife for a drink and I had to point out that the restaurant was off-limits to non-diners. He growled at me.

I remember that film! I think I saw it with my dad not long after it was released. But that was so long ago I have no recollection of Trevor Howard in it. I remember the whole vacuuming-up-the-diamonds scheme.

Kevin Bacon’s Sunday school teacher was my Aunt Betty. My parents knew Kevin Bacon’s parents.

2 Likes

Not YET! :smile:

1 Like

Who is Kevin Bacon exactly?

2 Likes

An actor, director, and producer.

And he will occasionally do a commercial …

2 Likes

Idle thought on Star Trek Day - how much of the American experience can be conveyed “Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra”-style using Kevin Bacon’s characters and stories?

2 Likes

Footloose, when the walls fell down.

2 Likes

Buy why pick him as the node to demonstrate a connection?

Picard to the powerless Q.